What's the best 22 Hornet & it's Hunting Applications?

I'm intrigued with the 22 Hornet and it's many applications in hunting.I have a pistol & rifle barrel for my Contender, but am interested in a multi-shot application. Was there ever a Remington 760 or any pump version chambered in 22 Hornet? In your opinions, what do you guys think the best model 22 Hornet is? Tell us why you think so. I reload, so the round can be loaded up or down, to fit the hunting application.

Anschütz sporter... Any flavor ya can find... They are the best iron sight rifle ive ever shot... period....

The hunting application is small varmits at 200 yards or less... 

They are a great thing in any package...

leroy

Anschütz[/size] sporter... Any flavor ya can find... They are the best iron sight rifle ive ever shot... period....

leroy

Yep. It's a small little 22 CF that's good for short range varmiting, people tried to gild the lily by blowing out the case neck into a K-Hornet. It's a fun cartridge but the 222 Remington was much nicer now it's all about the .223. If you have a Contender rifle barrel then that's all you need. If you have the contender pistol barrel it'll do a credible job as I successfully hunted groundhogs for a couple of years with a Contender that had a .218 Bee barrel.
  • Like 1

Yep. It's a small little 22 CF that's good for short range varmiting, people tried to gild the lily by blowing out the case neck into a K-Hornet. It's a fun cartridge but the 222 Remington was much nicer now it's all about the .223. If you have a Contender rifle barrel then that's all you need. If you have the contender pistol barrel it'll do a credible job as I successfully hunted groundhogs for a couple of years with a Contender that had a .218 Bee barrel.

TNWNGR, from what I've found to read about the "K-Hornet",it seems to have only bumped the performance up about 100 FPS. But, I've seen folks giving them some pretty high marks on a hunting round, on various forums. My Contender pistol barrel is an octogan 10",with a cheap scope on it. I haven't shot the rifle barrel yet, so I'm curious to see what it can do. I've been told it should do a pretty good out to 150 - 175 yards. Blowing smoke or reality? Edited by Sidewinder

Anschütz[/size] sporter... Any flavor ya can find... They are the best iron sight rifle ive ever shot... period....

leroy

Leroy, have you taken any coyotes with the round, or known someone that has? Would be interested in it's performance on the yotes.

A CZ527 will give it a run for its money. CZ has a single set trigger that is excellent. Price is very reasonable too for the quality you receive.

Caster, sounds like the CZ527 performs quite well with this round. In your opinion, do you think it's worth the higher price, than say, a Savage in the 22 Hornet? Any experience with it on the coyotes? If so, what do you think of the round for this hunting application?

The best .22Hornet?
Why that would be a Winchester Model 70 pre-'64 Featherweight. Doesn't really need an explanation why.

Nightrunner, do you have experience in taking coyotes with this round and model? If so, what would you say the limiting range should be shooting factory ammo? Was the gun and round up to the task of taking Mr. Coyote down at 150 yards?

Nightrunner, do you have experience in taking coyotes with this round and model? If so, what would you say the limiting range should be shooting factory ammo? Was the gun and round up to the task of taking Mr. Coyote down at 150 yards?

No experience on coyote with this round, only paper at 100yds and it did fine for that. And that was with a Ruger 77/22Hornet. Fine rifle, but I have always lusted for a pre 64 model 70 in this caliber.
Personally, yes I do think it's worth the extra money but as I say, it's only my opinion.

If you ever find yourself at Haffner Memorial Range early Sunday morning, I'll let you shoot mine (it's a 223) and I'll show you why I feel,that way along with some clover leaf groups at 100 yards. The trigger as is, is decent but just a tad spongy. Not bad at all though. Push the trigger forward to use the single set option and ...well....if you so much as fart, it'll break. When I shoot bench groups using the set trigger, I i don't pull the trigger or even touch it until I'm ready to fire, when I make my shot, I just have to touch the tip of my finger lad to the trigger to make the shot.

Don't get me wrong, Savage build a fine rifle and you will not have buyers remorse if you get one. They are also MUCH more aftermarket, tuner friendly than the CZ. But, you did ask my opinion and mine is, If I had the money for either, the CZ wins hands down for me.

Leroy, have you taken any coyotes with the round, or known someone that has? Would be interested in it's performance on the yotes.

Sidewinder... I used to run around with an ole boy who used the Hornet occasionally on rabbits and squirrels... I never saw him shoot a larger animal like a coyote... My guess is that ya would have to hit the yote dead in the head to get him...

If i wuz goin after a yote, i would be disposed to use a 222 remington or a 223...

I think the truth of the matter is that a 22 hornet is, in fact, a reloadable answer to a 22 long rifle with a bit more umph... It probably sits between a 22WMR and a 222 remington in the power department... The hornet wuz originally a black powder round (...i think...)....

Hope this helps a bit...

leroy

• Admin Team

Sidewinder, I've noticed your evolution in thinking over the last couple of weeks from .17HMR to 22WMR to .22 Hornet now.  Now that you're in centerfire calibers, your options open up a lot.  I don't remember if you have other constraints affecting your decision, but why not go with a more common, more available caliber like .223?  

You can download rounds into the above caliber energies if you like, but you can also load some real hot ones.  Likewise, the ammo available off the shelf probably makes it pretty easy to stock and consume.

• Like 1

TNWNGR, from what I've found to read about the "K-Hornet",it seems to have only bumped the performance up about 100 FPS. But, I've seen folks giving them some pretty high marks on a hunting round, on various forums. My Contender pistol barrel is an octogan 10",with a cheap scope on it. I haven't shot the rifle barrel yet, so I'm curious to see what it can do. I've been told it should do a pretty good out to 150 - 175 feet. Blowing smoke or reality?

Given you already have T/C barrels in .22 Hornet your already on the upside of the acquisition equation in the economical .22 Hornet cartridge. Should you be tempted to purchase more expensive bolt action or single shot rifles you'll be in a hobbyist reloader category as a .223 rifle will be more versatile and cost effective. YMMV.

Now as to the T/C rifle barrel's effective range...a good barrel and scope set up with the right loading in null wind conditions should be GTG in the near 200 yard range. Just remember it's already losing velocity so think more along the 150 and a bit beyond yard range for varmint hunting.

You'll actually get the most enjoyment with the T/C set up in handgun configuration with the pistol barrel and a good scope. It's comfortable to shoot w/o the muzzle blast and fireball of a .223 in a pistol barrel. And BTW you correctly identified why the K-Hornet was a dud as well as why the Hornet fell into disfavor once the .222 came into being. Now the 222 is long since eclipsed by the 223. 

On one hand, I do NOT like it when people try to talk each other out of something they want BUT....I'm with MacGuyver all the way.  The .223 will do anything the Hornet will do and more...cheaper and easier.  Rimfires may have an advantage in that capacity and storage of ammo is better but there is NO advantage to the Hornet over the 223.  

I've shot coyote out to around 150 yd.with a H&R Hornet. When I was stationed in Germany it was a fairly popular round amongst the local jaegers for Roe deer.  Use the soft point vs. the hollow point, and RWS ammo if you can find it. My 2 cents.

Edited by 79troublehead
  • Like 1

I've shot coyote out to around 150 yd.with a H&R Hornet. When I was stationed in Germany it was a fairly popular round amongst the local jaegers for Roe deer.  Use the soft point vs. the hollow point, and RWS ammo if you can find it. My 2 cents.

79 and all... I didn't want ta say what im about to say, but here it is since this brought it up... There have probably more deer killed with a 22 by old time poachers than all the other CF rifle cartridges together in my neck of the woods... Get close, shoot 'em in the ear... fade away with the meat... It's been goin on in the hills for a long time... The "real hunters" can kill with most anything...

leroy

Personally, yes I do think it's worth the extra money but as I say, it's only my opinion.
If you ever find yourself at Haffner Memorial Range early Sunday morning, I'll let you shoot mine (it's a 223) and I'll show you why I feel,that way along with some clover leaf groups at 100 yards. The trigger as is, is decent but just a tad spongy. Not bad at all though. Push the trigger forward to use the single set option and ...well....if you so much as fart, it'll break. When I shoot bench groups using the set trigger, I i don't pull the trigger or even touch it until I'm ready to fire, when I make my shot, I just have to touch the tip of my finger lad to the trigger to make the shot.
Don't get me wrong, Savage build a fine rifle and you will not have buyers remorse if you get one. They are also MUCH more aftermarket, tuner friendly than the CZ. But, you did ask my opinion and mine is, If I had the money for either, the CZ wins hands down for me.

Thanks for the frank opinion on the two Caster. I've heard nothing but good things about the CZ...in all calibers and gauges. By the way, I really enjoy that Owl Hollow range. Been there a couple of times for the TGO shoot... met some nice people.

I have an old Savage bolt in .223, a Bushmaster AR in .223, and a .223 rifle barrel for my Contender, so maybe I should use one of them on coyotes. I've just got this itch for a 22 Hornet, for coyotes and other small varmints.

For the money, I am also a big fan of CZ's, but if you want something beautiful, you can always go with a Cooper Custom Classic.  It's a mere two and half hours away at Whittakers. :devil:   

http://www.whittakerguns.com/product/cooper-38-custom-classic-22-hornet 

As for caliber, I say get whatever floats your boat.  223 is boring for me.  I prefer 204 Ruger or 22-250 depending on the situation.  

Edited by Hozzie

Sidewinder... I used to run around with an ole boy who used the Hornet occasionally on rabbits and squirrels... I never saw him shoot a larger animal like a coyote... My guess is that ya would have to hit the yote dead in the head to get him...

If i wuz goin after a yote, i would be disposed to use a 222 remington or a 223...

I think the truth of the matter is that a 22 hornet is, in fact, a reloadable answer to a 22 long rifle with a bit more umph... It probably sits between a 22WMR and a 222 remington in the power department... The hornet wuz originally a black powder round (...i think...)....

Hope this helps a bit...
leroy

Leroy, thanks for the input. I think you're spot on in your analysis of the 22 Hornet as a reloadable round for small varmint hunting. I have rifles in the .222 and .223 calibers and probably should just use them for coyote hunting. I'm just thinking that the .22 Hornet could be used on fox and bobcat, with less hide damage... and possibly on a yote too.
  • Like 1

For the money, I am also a big fan of CZ's, but if you want something beautiful, you can always go with a Cooper Custom Classic.  It's a mere two and half hours away at Whittakers. :devil:   

http://www.whittakerguns.com/product/cooper-38-custom-classic-22-hornet 

As for caliber, I say get whatever floats your boat.  223 is boring for me.  I prefer 204 Ruger or 22-250 depending on the situation.

Hozzie, I'm a bit frugal (cheap) when it comes to buying firearms. I like to get the best bang for my buck... no pun intended... when buying firearms. I don't own any snob firearms, nor do I have any criticism of those that do. To each his own, as they say.

I've been around anyone shooting the 204 Ruger, but have heard good things about the round. I'd definitly go for the 22-250 if I were hunting out west, with the wide open spaces. But, here in Middle Tennessee, with the wooded areas, most shots will probably be under 200 yards. Have you harvested ( pc speak for killed) coyotes with the 204 Ruger round? If so, hou was it on the hides? I realize good coyote hides in this area is not the norm, due to our hot weather.

79 Troublehead, thanks for your 2 cents. Did the H&R Hornet take the coyotes "DRT",most of the time, or did you get spinners and runners? I realize shot placement has almost everything to do with that too. But, I was just wondering if they fell like a sack of potatoes? I don't want to wound them, and then spend all of my hunting time tracking them down, to finish the job. Good point on soft point instead of hollow point. I can see how it would probably have deeper penetration, before expanding. I'm not familiar with the RWS ammo, I don't believe. Have you seen it here in the states?

Sidewinder, I've noticed your evolution in thinking over the last couple of weeks from .17HMR to 22WMR to .22 Hornet now.  Now that you're in centerfire calibers, your options open up a lot.  I don't remember if you have other constraints affecting your decision, but why not go with a more common, more available caliber like .223?  

You can download rounds into the above caliber energies if you like, but you can also load some real hot ones.  Likewise, the ammo available off the shelf probably makes it pretty easy to stock and consume.

MacGyver, I guess I have bounced all over the caliber spectrum, haven't I? I'm a gun lover... have been all of my life. I was raised on a farm and got my first gun at a very early age...traded my rod and reel for it,IIRC. So, I've been searching for the Holy Grail of caliber that would work well on fox, bobcat, and hopefully, on coyotes and not do too much damage to the hides.

I appreciate the recommendation on the .223 Rem., as I have some rifles that shoot that round... and one that shoots the .222 also. I do reload most calibers, including the 22 Hornet. You, and a friend of mine, have both hit the nail on the head by pointing out the flexibility of up or down loading the .223 round. The .223 round is cheaper to buy off the shelf than the .22 Hornet, but I've been working on building up Hornet brass. That case is thin, and easily crunched, if finesse' isn't used with the press. Thanks for your input.
  • Admin Team

MacGyver, I guess I have bounced all over the caliber spectrum, haven't I? I'm a gun lover... have been all of my life. I was raised on a farm and got my first gun at a very early age...traded my rod and reel for it,IIRC. So, I've been searching for the Holy Grail of caliber that would work well on fox, bobcat, and hopefully, on coyotes and not do too much damage to the hides.

I appreciate the recommendation on the .223 Rem., as I have some rifles that shoot that round... and one that shoots the .222 also. I do reload most calibers, including the 22 Hornet. You, and a friend of mine, have both hit the nail on the head by pointing out the flexibility of up or down loading the .223 round. The .223 round is cheaper to buy off the shelf than the .22 Hornet, but I've been working on building up Hornet brass. That case is thin, and easily crunched, if finesse' isn't used with the press. Thanks for your input.

I hear you on being a gun nut.  And Lord knows I love my wildcat calibers.  Were it me, I'd probably wind up collecting the whole set...

That said, for your varmint interests, There are some common calibers that'll shoot lights out without compromise and do so without a lot of damage to the hides - which you seem interested in preserving. 

You probably don't need a whole lot of bullet for any of these - and any of the above would likely do fine.  Something like a .223Rem just does it cheaper with more flexibility.