So who here are the 1911 Guru's ?

• Authorized Vendor

I have a Springfield Mil Spec I just acquired in a trade and I'd like to have an ambi-safety fitted for it. Yes I could probably stumble through it but with the garden, home improvement, knife making and the other stuff I've got going on I need to delegate something. laugh.gif

So is you are located near Franklin, Brentwood, Spring Hill, Columbia. Lawrenceburg or some other place in that general vicinity and know how to do this install and are willing to help me out send me a PM and maybe we can work out payment details and a time frame you could do the work.

The only thing I ask is you really know how to do this and aren't using my gun to learn on. laugh.gif

To bad we are located in Gallatin. Sam set up Remingtons  1911 production line and does customs. I know there has to be some one closer to you. Good luck. I consider SA pistols to be one of the better buys for the money.

Cheers

• Like 1

To bad we are located in Gallatin. Sam set up Remingtons  1911 production line and does customs. I know there has to be some one closer to you. Good luck. I consider SA pistols to be one of the better buys for the money.

Cheers

Second the recommendation for Sam. He would be well worth the trip and when it was done it would be done right.

Just my. 02
  • Like 1

Thumb safeties are NEVER drop in, or at least I have never seen one. They are made to be fitted so you definitely want to find someone who knows what they are doing. It is the ONLY safety that WILL prevent the gun from firing. The grip safety will not prevent the gun from firing, only from the trigger being pulled.

Also, be aware that those extended safeties get bumped off safe easily. I quit running extended ones a long time ago and use smaller safeties that are harder to accidentally bump off safe.

Thumb safeties are NEVER drop in, or at least I have never seen one. They are made to be fitted so you definitely want to find someone who knows what they are doing. It is the ONLY safety that WILL prevent the gun from firing. The grip safety will not prevent the gun from firing, only from the trigger being pulled.

Also, be aware that those extended safeties get bumped off safe easily. I quit running extended ones a long time ago and use smaller safeties that are harder to accidentally bump off safe.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Absolutely correct! I won't say its not possible because people I wouldn't think have the capabilities to critical fitting or gun repair can do credible work.    

• Authorized Vendor

Thanks for the valuable info. :up:

• 1 month later...

I've sent him two emails and never got a response so......

Need to call him, he almost always answers his cell.  I don't think he is online too much.

Met with him yesterday on an issue I had with my ATI fatboy, last year he took out all the junk and replaced the internals with solid hardened parts.  After putting a few thousand rounds through the gun I had an issue with the sear a few months back - and note this has been a year + a ton of rounds shot through it.  He figured out what the problem was, re-machined a new sear and fixed the problem for free.  He said all of his work is warrantied for life.  Never heard of any other person giving lifetime warranties on gun work.

I think I'm going to have him build a custom gun for me too after seeing what he was machining yesterday. Had no clue he was as deep into the science of 1911's as he is.

Yep. Tim's the real deal...

http://www.calhouncustomfirearms.com/

He was working on a full size 1911 in .40  about to start cutting the slide so it fit one of those funky barrels like this one on his site... less unsprung weight on the slide, more sprung weight on the barrel.  muzzle flip dramatically reduced, he said shooting .40 out of them barely does anything and with the sight mounted on the barrel, it's easier to stay focused on the target.

Think I need a double stack compact 1911 like this.

IMG_1197.jpg

Edited by Sam1