Fighter jets Eagles or Hornets

The other day on July 3rd around 4pm my wife and me were on Charlotte Pike in Nashville going to Hattie B's Hot Chicken (oh yeah man it's great ! ) and I heard a jet engine noise that I normally don't hear around Nashville. I rolled the car window down and looked up and saw either 2 Eagles or 2 Hornets. They looked like a "delta wing" jet just like F15 Eagles but I haven't seen Eagles in service in a long while. Anyways they got pretty low , like 1500-2000 feet and made a circle around downtown near the arena . Then then headed back north.  I was just wondering if they came into town to practice a performance for a ball game or for a celebration thing for the 4th of July . You know where they sing the National Anthem and have a jet or two fly by ?  Any of you guys see or hear them ?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a flyover for the US men's soccer game right about that same time at Nissan stadium or whatever it's called now.

That may have been it . Later that night I heard there was a soccer game. I just never saw Eagles since the 90's . just wondering if that is what they were . Either way it was cool  .

Edited by tercel89

I believe there are a lot of F-15s in the reserves.  They are still among the deadliest Air Superiority jets in the world.  About the only thing that can hang with them are other US Jets.  Yeah, there is the Sukhoi-35s which is a strong performer, but there are probably only a dozen of them.  

Just conjecture on my part....I wonder if it had something to do with heightened security around July 4th.  Nashville had the nation's largest fireworks display on the 4th, so it could have gotten some attention.

The USAF still flies the F-15 on active duty, not just the reserves. They fly them out of:

• Seymour-Johnson AFB, N. Carolina (the BEST name for a base in human history)
  • Kadena AFB, Okinawa, Japan
  • RAF Lakenheath, England
  • Eglin AFB, Florida
  • Nellis AFB, Nevada
  • Mountain Home AFB, Idaho

+1 to atlas3025. I'd take the F-15E Strike Eagle over any production aircraft in the world for air superiority, except the F-22.

But, back to the OP. Someone Instagramed a photo and they were two F-16s from the Oklahoma ANG. https://instagram.com/p/4sR43yk7zv/

Edited by monkeylizard