Photo of the forth coming new Glock 4th Generation?

TGO David

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That thread is two years old...cmon man, get with the times :D

Well, :poop:! Wow, interesting. I did the search, saw the last pic, it was a new post, went throught the thread without even looking at the rest of the dates....you nazi.

:D:panic:

fwiw, i dont want a backstrap either. i dont see what the fuss is over.

and who cares what it looks like if it goes bang every single time you pull the trigger....

Guest Verbal Kint

A changeable backstrap would not only allow the gun to adapt to several different people (big hands, small hands, male, female, etc), but it would also allow the Glock to adapt to a 1911-style grip if they made a rear strap without the hump. This would save people from having to mod their own grip or paying $200+ to have a reduction performed by the various companies out there.

You might not want one, but I would wager that thousands of other people would. You're a small fraction of the demographic that Glock could cater to, and expand to, if they included such a feature. There's a reason why firearms come with that feature, and companies like MagPul created the MIAD for the AR platform... people want them.

Edited by Verbal Kint
Damn typos... I need to hire a monkey to proof read my stuff.

and who cares what it looks like if it goes bang every single time you pull the trigger....

Well there you go, the definitive answer. Don't cater to anyone just keep putting out the same old thing. That is sure to make the profits go up.

There's a reason Ford eventually introduced a different model and color car.

Here is what Glock should have done. Instead they left it up to some turkeys to "Perfect" !http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg219-e.htm

akdal_ghost.jpg

akdal_ghost-disasm.jpg

Type Single Action pre-cocked, semiautomatic Caliber(s) 9x19 Weight unloaded 825 g Length 190 mm Barrel length 113 mm Magazine capacity 15 rounds Akdal Ghost TR-01 pistol is a new product from Turkish company Ucyildiz Arms Ltd Inc. It is a compact semi-automatic pistol which is obviously intended for police, security and civilian (where permitted by law) use. It appears to be heavily influenced by Austrian Glock pistols in its design, although Akdal Ghost pistol has improved ergonomics, especially in the grip area.

Akdal Ghost TR-01 pistol is short recoil operated, locked breech pistol. It uses modified Browning-type locking, in which barrel engages the slide with single lug, entering the ejection window. Unlocking and locking (lowering and rise of the barrel) is controlled by cam-shaped projection below the chamber, which interacts with steel insert, removably set into the polymer frame. The pistol is striker-fired and utilizes pre-cocked striker, which is put to full cock by the pull on the trigger. In case of the misfire, user has no 'second strike' capability and must cycle the slide to re-cock the striker to its pre-set state. Pistol also has no manual safeties; instead, it has automatic trigger and firing pin safeties. Magazines are double stack, holding 15 rounds of ammunition, with magazine release button located at the base of the trigger guard. Sights are fixed, and dovetailed into the slide. The polymer frame features removable backstraps (of different sizes), and an integral accessory Picatinny rail below the barrel.

Hey, look... there it is again! You too can now own a Glock that's not a Glock! :up:

I could have sworn I just read this before I made that post.

A changeable backstrap would not only allow the gun to adapt to several different people (big hands, small hands, male, female, etc), but it would also allow the Glock to adapt to a 1911-style grip if they made a rear strap without the hump. This would save people from having to mod their own grip or paying $200+ to have a reduction performed by the various companies out there.

You might not want one, but I would wager that thousands of other people would. You're a small fraction of the demographic that Glock could cater to, and expand to, if they included such a feature. There's a reason why firearms come with that feature, and companies like MagPul created the MIAD for the AR platform... people want them.

plastic.jpg

:P

Guest Todd@CIS

Oh, I'm sure you want a backstrap. :up:

As for interchangable backstraps, there are no negatives to having them (and that is what all the fuss is about).

If you like the standard shape, keep it. If you don't, change it.

Why NOT have the option?

This is something Glock should have addressed years ago instead of still keeping the hollow, useless gap.

Guest Verbal Kint
I could have sworn I just read this before I made that post.

Not from me you didn't, unless you just like to twist people's words around. :P

You're talking about using a totally different company's receiver (legally, the handgun itself) and using Glock's slide/barrel/recoil assembly ontop of it. That's not a Glock.

I'm suggesting that Glock incorporate a swappable back strap that makes the ergonomics of it's grip mimic that of a 1911. That still would be a Glock.

If someone installs a Hogue Handall grip sleeve on their Glocks, HKs, XDs, Rugers, Colts, AR15s (or any of the other 40 or so guns they fit)... does that now make it a Hogue firearm? :up:

Apples and Oranges.

Edited by Verbal Kint
typos > me
Not from me you didn't, unless you just like to twist people's words around. :P

You're talking about using a totally different company's receiver (legally, the handgun itself) and using Glock's slide/barrel/recoil assembly ontop of it. That's not a Glock.

I'm suggesting that Glock incorporate a swappable back strap that makes the ergonomics of it's grip mimic that of a 1911. That still would be a Glock.

If someone installs a Hogue Handall grip sleeve on their Glocks, HKs, XDs, Rugers, Colts, AR15s (or any of the other 40 or so guns they fit)... does that now make it a Hogue firearm? :rolleyes:

Apples and Oranges.

Misunderstood what you were talking about. Ever happen to you? Happened to me. :D

It seems that if you (as in anyone) wanted to change the Glock platform to be more like a 1911, then it might behoove you (as in anyone) to purchase one of the bajillion other firearms that are available, such as the 1911. Or eat some growth hormone to get around not being able to hold a Glock. I've not read about a Glock being too small for someone's hands, unless they are talking about the subcompacts. And then, they usually have no problem with a compact or even standard.

Would the Wolf Pack be considered a receiver?

As far as the Hogue comment. :rolleyes:

Neener, neener. ;)

Guest Verbal Kint
Misunderstood what you were talking about. Ever happen to you? Happened to me. :rolleyes:

No, I'm perfect. I've learned to live with that curse, hopefully you can too. :P

It seems that if you (as in anyone) wanted to change the Glock platform to be more like a 1911, then it might behoove you (as in anyone) to purchase one of the bajillion other firearms that are available, such as the 1911. Or eat some growth hormone to get around not being able to hold a Glock. I've not read about a Glock being too small for someone's hands, unless they are talking about the subcompacts. And then, they usually have no problem with a compact or even standard.

It's more about grip angle and muscle memory. Most people that have an issue, are people that have shot a 1911 a lot. Give a Glock to an inexperienced shooter, or someone who's never shot a 1911 handgun, and they never have a problem. Sure it's something that can be overcome with a lot of practice... but if you frequently swap back and forth between a Glock and a 1911, it becomes a hassle.

(same goes with other guns that have a 1911-style grip -- such as XDs -- when compared to Glocks)

I don't even have a problem, personally, with shooting a Glock... but I can tell that I have to take that micro-second to readjust my sights on my Glock if I draw from my holster as quickly as possible... where I don't if I'm using a 1911. That rear hump on the Glock is the issue. Not me... because, again, I'm perfect. :D

Would the Wolf Pack be considered a receiver?

Yes, as it's an entirely new/different frame, which is serialized... and replaces the Glock frame, which is also serialized. You would have to fill out the standard FFL form (4473 or whatever) to buy one.

As far as the Hogue comment. :rolleyes:

;)

My question is, if the Glock has such a terrible grip, and needs to "move into today" and adopt some sort of changeable backstrap, why do they outsell the other brands/models which come with changeable backstraps?

Or better yet, why do so many of the models with changeable backstraps never have their backstraps changed?

• Administrator
My question is, if the Glock has such a terrible grip, and needs to "move into today" and adopt some sort of changeable backstrap, why do they outsell the other brands/models which come with changeable backstraps?

I'll let Marswolf address this one...

Nope, wasn't me. I just found this topic. I voted "an excellent concept, but with a few design flaws."

I pretty much go along with Eddie in http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/showpost.php?p=67711&postcount=21

I've always said they are an adequate duty handgun. They got some things right in my opinion in having a gun with very reliable feed and extraction and not having a manual safety to be concerned with.

The flaws have been covered pretty well on other boards, notably at http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/gindex2.html.

A better supported chamber, particularly in the 40 S&W and a heavier trigger would pretty much fix it. Some people would add better ergonomics. But with a heavier trigger pull and shooting only quality factory ammunition, they do OK.

I still see other handguns as better for carry, either professional LE carry or public self-protection carry. But those other guns generally cost a bit more.

Some of the problems have been addressed by the XD and M&P series of pistols. But all striker pistols I can think of have the issue of having to dry fire before takedown. The NDs seem to mostly happen during field stripping. It's too easy to get sloppy mentally and forget to clear the chamber before pulling the trigger. I saw that happen once with an XD. Fortunately the handgun was pointed in a safe direction. And the guy who made the ND was a seasoned professional who had carried for years.I suspect that problem could be fixed and I'm a bit disappointed that the M&P series didn't correct this.

Gaston Glock took a questionable polymer design by H&K, made improvements and produced a usable handgun. In my view, it isn't a horrible gun by any means, but it also isn't a great gun. It's adequate and with a little work is "safe enough." But from what I've seen, other guns in the market are just as reliable and are safer. I think that makes them a better gun.

And another Marswolf quote from a thread in the Staff area... I'd link you to the original post but you couldn't read it.

I think you are absolutely correct, though. Most of the public buys a Glock because that's what the cops carry. If cops still carried 38 Special revolvers, that is what most people would want. Actually, I bought my first Glock because it was recommended by several LE friends. Guess I'm guilty too.
Guest Todd@CIS

Or better yet, why do so many of the models with changeable backstraps never have their backstraps changed?

I don't think Glock has a "terrible grip" and in fact, after all these years I might not change the backstrap even if I could.

Hell, I'm an admitted Glock fanboi...I happen to think they're about the best combat handgun made (my humble opinion). That's one of the reasons why they command a huge percentage of the marketshare.

But to say that they can't be improved upon is kinda silly (unless of course you like the stock Glock sights ;) ).

If you can have interchangable backstraps, without degrading reliability, why not? We all have different hand sizes.

Look at the 1911 (one of the most popular handguns ever and often thought of as of of the most ergonomic pistols ever).

Interchangable MSHs, long/short triggers, standard/thin grips, etc. Do all of these options say "terrible grip?"

Edited by Todd@CIS
  • Administrator

I'd probably leave my Glock alone in respect to the grip size, but I know plenty of people who have tried my Glock and said that they would have wanted it smaller or larger (depending on the person). The angle is a little funky if you prefer that of the 1911, but there's no doubt that it "pre-loads" the wrist somewhat to compensate for muzzle flip.

I'm actually thinking about getting another Glock 19 to have as a backup. Or maybe a 23 to have another option. ;)

are all Glock grips the same size (aside from length on compact models) and that same angle?

I have always wondered why they don't make truly different models. They all seem alike to me. S&W makes different kind of gun as well as a lot of manufacterers.

Just something that keeps me up at night wondering about.

Subjectively, there are subtle differences in the grip angle/contour between the subcompact, compact & fullsize frames... and then of course there is the option of the larger grip of the .45 and 10mm guns, which also have regular and 'Short-Frame' sizes. Personally, the G36 has the best grip angle, and even though it does require a long reach to the trigger, it is comfortably slim.