Active Duty Military

Guest TheGiant

Guest TheGiant

I understand that active duty military can get a TN carry permit without the usual classroom training time. Does the Active military person still need to be 21 years of age or older?

I can not find an answer to this question thanks..

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Revelator

Furthermore you have to be 21 to apply for a THCP. Tenn. Code Annotated 39-17-1351(:) states that "any resident of Tennessee who is a United States citizen or permanent lawful resident, as defined by § 55-50-102(30), who has reached twenty-one (21) years of age, may apply to the department of safety for a handgun carry permit." There is no age exception for active duty military.

Guest Verbal Kint
Well there should be.

Having just served the past 6 years on AD, I strongly disagree with you. You get 18 yr olds fresh in, that act like 12 yr olds, and luckily only get to hold a rifle when it's time to qualify (if divine intervention puts them into an AFSC/MOS that isn't combat related).

Leave the age at 21. Thanks.

EDIT: Forgot to add... I'm speaking about the majority of the fresh boots, not a small %. Most are morons and don't belong around a destructive device. Let alone outside the base fence line with one. :lol:

Edited by Verbal Kint
Edit / Addendum
Guest bkelm18

Oh yeah. Just because you join the military doesn't mean you have enough sense or maturity to carry a firearm. Some of the guys I served with couldn't even be trusted to bathe themselves. I say the current age limit of 21 is just fine even though there are some 21 yr olds I still wouldn't trust with a firearm.

At least the whole "do not have to take a class" thing is nice, for saving both money and time. *pats his DD214* That said, if you opt not to take a class when the time comes, make damn sure you are up on Tennessee's laws concerning concealed carry, use of force, retreating, and all the rest, especially if you got licensed in another state and moved here (no, I am not speaking from experience on that last bit...).

I still hate the rhetoric of "I'm in the military I want to carry a gun, I want to drink!

I joined at 18 and got no special privileges and didn't expect any. My reward was to wear the uniform of a branch of the military in the greatest country in the world.

It's a volunteer service, nobody made you join.

Guest bkelm18
I still hate the rhetoric of "I'm in the military I want to carry a gun, I want to drink!

I joined at 18 and got no special privileges and didn't expect any. My reward was to wear the uniform of a branch of the military in the greatest country in the world.

It's a volunteer service, nobody made you join.

+1

Guest ChiefSmitty

Giant, I am active duty, but opted for the class instead. It is a good source of info after you get past the other crap, you know "this is the frame, a revolver has multiple barrels, and such". I just went to find out when and where to carry as well as what would get me in trouble. However, if you do your research, you can get the same amount of info, in about half the time.

Guest RISC777
Giant, I am active duty, but opted for the class instead. It is a good source of info after you get past the other crap, you know "this is the frame, a revolver has multiple barrels, and such". I just went to find out when and where to carry as well as what would get me in trouble. However, if you do your research, you can get the same amount of info, in about half the time.

Was in a class with a veteran born in 1929 and the other active duty guy could have been in his late 50s who had his wife with him. Very good to see those two gentlemen there (along with the 20-something lady who had never, ever fired a firearm once).

Having just served the past 6 years on AD, I strongly disagree with you. You get 18 yr olds fresh in, that act like 12 yr olds, and luckily only get to hold a rifle when it's time to qualify (if divine intervention puts them into an AFSC/MOS that isn't combat related).

Leave the age at 21. Thanks.

EDIT: Forgot to add... I'm speaking about the majority of the fresh boots, not a small %. Most are morons and don't belong around a destructive device. Let alone outside the base fence line with one. :D

I guess it depends on the times and the service.

Serving on an amphibious assault ship part of my job as a Mike Boat Engineer was to put a thousand marines on the beach. (Most under 21, all armed).

I have never seen an accidental shooting or even an AD.

I can understand your concern though being in the Air Force for 6 years. You probably didn’t figure out which end of the barrel the bullet came out until you got out; did you? :D

I was a cop when the drinking age was both 19 and 21. I saw no marked difference. When it comes to doing ignorant stuff while you are drinking there is no age limitation. 18-80.

Edited by DaveTN

Whether it is 18, 21, 25 or older (or younger), you have to be an adult and responsible for yourself and your own actions at some age. But by that same token you should have the privileges that come with it also.

Edited by Fallguy
Guest Verbal Kint

I can understand your concern though being in the Air Force for 6 years. You probably didn’t figure out which end of the barrel the bullet came out until you got out; did you? :D

Sadly, I had more trigger time with firearms and AR15's, specifically, before and after I was military. Growing up in a firearm-friendly family, and having friends that shot guns, had it's perks. I could out shoot most of our CATM folks, and probably knew as much or more than they did when it came to firearm knowledge. :D

I should have joined the Marines like I originally planned. lol

Guest bkelm18
I guess it depends on the times and the service.

Serving on an amphibious assault ship part of my job as a Mike Boat Engineer was to put a thousand marines on the beach. (Most under 21, all armed).

I have never seen an accidental shooting or even an AD.

There's a big difference between a trained Marine infantryman and some Joe Blow galley rat on a Navy ship. Just being in the military doesn't mean you are mature enough and ready to handle a firearm, so I really don't see the need for them to be exempt from the 21 yr old rule of obtaining a HCP.

Guest Verbal Kint
There's a big difference between a trained Marine infantryman and some Joe Blow galley rat on a Navy ship. Just being in the military doesn't mean you are mature enough and ready to handle a firearm, so I really don't see the need for them to be exempt from the 21 yr old rule of obtaining a HCP.

+1

I don't see any problem with a 18+ soldier carrying a rifle or sidearm in the lines of his duty/job, while either overseas or at his home base. But exempting him from Federal law, to carry while off base or off duty, is too much IMO. He or she can wait until their 21st birthday, like everyone else.

Just my $0.02.

Well… as you can see the state legislators agree with you.

On the other hand… it has been a long time since I was in the service, but that “Galley Rat†on a ship was required to have small arms training. Has that changed?

Are you implying that the Tennessee carry classes are in any way shape or form close to that of military training?

I think this is one time where the Feds need to trump state law. Anyone qualified for combat should not even be required to have a carry permit in states that allow carry.

A LEO or a retired LEO from another state is not required to have a Tennessee carry permit.

I worked with a bunch of military guys (both Navy and Marines) that were under 21 but were mature enough to carry firearms. If they aren’t they have no business being in the military.

Guest bkelm18
Well… as you can see the state legislators agree with you.

On the other hand… it has been a long time since I was in the service, but that “Galley Rat” on a ship was required to have small arms training. Has that changed?

Are you implying that the Tennessee carry classes are in any way shape or form close to that of military training?

I think this is one time where the Feds need to trump state law. Anyone qualified for combat should not even be required to have a carry permit in states that allow carry.

A LEO or a retired LEO from another state is not required to have a Tennessee carry permit.

I worked with a bunch of military guys (both Navy and Marines) that were under 21 but were mature enough to carry firearms. If they aren’t they have no business being in the military.

If you call small arms training firing 15 rounds from an M9 and 10 rounds from a fake (pneumatic) shotgun, then yes, they had firearm training, and in that respect, I say TN's training requirements exceeds the Navy's requirement for firearm training. As far as other services, wouldn't know, haven't been there. As far as being in the military meaning you are qualified for combat, I don't buy into that either. I know plenty of people who would sh*t themselves if they were shot at and would likely shoot a friendly rather than shoot the bad guy. Maybe times have changed since you were in, but the training requirements for small arms are rather pitiful, as far as the Navy is concerned.

Edited by bkelm18
Guest Verbal Kint

Air Force provides adequate range and classroom training on whichever weapon you are qualified to use. Mostly AR15/M16 platform. For those with a need of a sidearm, they receive the additional M9 training. Same with shotguns, etc.

Qualifying usually is an all-day event. 5-6 hours, at least, in the classroom... followed by another 3-4 hours on the range after lunch.

That training is on par, or exceeds, most state carry requirements and classroom training. However, unlike the Marines and Army, we don't qualify anywhere near as often. Once every 2-3 years, or longer, (assuming you aren't deploying and getting refreshed, if it's been that long) isn't out of the "norm". That said, while the training is very good, a lot of people forget most of what they learn if they haven't had prior firearm experience.

If you call small arms training firing 15 rounds from an M9 and 10 rounds from a fake (pneumatic) shotgun, then yes, they had firearm training, and in that respect, I say TN's training requirements exceeds the Navy's requirement for firearm training. As far as other services, wouldn't know, haven't been there. Maybe times have changed since you were in, but the training requirements for small arms are rather pitiful, as far as the Navy is concerned.

Sorry to hear the Navy's training has went to crap.

As far as being in the military meaning you are qualified for combat, I don't buy into that either. I know plenty of people who would sh*t themselves if they were shot at and would likely shoot a friendly rather than shoot the bad guy.

No one knows what they will do until it happens.

I had been in the military and had two honorable discharges and didn’t know what I would do when I was shot at; until it happened to me as a cop on the streets. Do you know what you will do? Do you think you are prepared to live through it?