Bow Hunting Suggestions

Guest clutepc

Guest clutepc

I know this forum is full of hunters so I though I'd ask this here.

After all the years of being around hunters I've got the bug to start learning to hunt. I'm really interested in bow hunting which should make it all the more interesting I guess.

Any suggestions on bows, where to start and or just learning in general?

If you know of any sites I need to check out for bow hunting I'm open to all the info I can get.

Thanks in advance

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Doindonuts

Check out www.archerytalk.com, lots of good info to be found over there. Also several good bow reviews on youtube. Find a good shop in your area and talk to those guys. You should shoot several different bows before you choose the one that's right for you.

Oh yeah, welcome to a new addiction. :)

I'm a diehard bowhunter and love discussing :ugh:

I second the recommendation to go see Joe. He knows his stuff and will get you setup with a bow that fits you. Shoot as many different bows as you can and go with what feels best to you. Bass Pro has a good selection, but it's hit or miss with who you are dealing with in there.

You can also check out the Old Hickory Lake Bowmen Club shoots. Lots of folks there who are more than happy to help you with tuning, form, etc.

www.ohlbc.com

Guest Jcochran88
I'm a diehard bowhunter and love discussing :D

I second the recommendation to go see Joe. He knows his stuff and will get you setup with a bow that fits you. Shoot as many different bows as you can and go with what feels best to you. Bass Pro has a good selection, but it's hit or miss with who you are dealing with in there.

You can also check out the Old Hickory Lake Bowmen Club shoots. Lots of folks there who are more than happy to help you with tuning, form, etc.

www.ohlbc.com

+1 joe might be a little higher than basspro but definately makes up for it in knowledge. wich seems to me that would be what you are looking for in at this point in time.

Guest clutepc

I'll get by Joe's this week, thanks!!

Turns out a old friend of mine bought a almost new Bear bow a year ago with a 70lb draw and doesn't have the time to hunt so he is selling me that and everything else he has with it, carbon arrows with target and broadheads for a $150.

He said everything is in great shape with it he just didn't have the time

I couldn't pass that up, it's a left hand bow as well which is what i need.

My wife happened to be FL and she is bringing it back with her, she may regret that one day..:D

It won't be until next year before I try getting out to hunt, I still have a lot to learn and I'm having knee surgery next week so that will slow me down for a while.

One of these days I'd like to tag along with another bow hunter and just watch how different things are done to be honest but also don't want to be a distraction when someone is trying to hunt.

Thanks again for all the info!

Edited by clutepc
Guest MinorKey

i recently got hooked up at the sportsman'd store in Dickson. most of their Accessories are half off and they have an indoor range as well. i was lucky enough to be around when the owner (richard i think) was in and he showed me a ton of pointers in the range for like an hour. with the purchase i got 6 easton carbon arrows free and 30 days free range time. (super cheap admission to the range anyway) it is a 20 yeard range and quite nice. I got there when there just after season started and got a great deal on a closeout setup but they really have a great selection and know their stuff as well.

good luck!

-MK

Guest clutepc

I'll have to get by some of these places once I start getting around again. I need all the pointers I can get.

I think I also want to get someone to check out the bow and see if there is anything that needs to be done to it.

Being I don't know much about them yet I wouldn't know if it had a problem.

Guest clutepc

I wanted to say thanks to everyone who suggested Joe at Hermitage Archery.

Stopped by there today so he could take a look at the bow I purchased from a friend.

He checked everything out and made some quick adjustments for me

Great person to meet and I'll be back there again.

Hard to believe he is has been there for 21 years now.

Thanks again!