Kidd Bolt 10/22

Is the Kidd bolt worth the money in a 10/22 build? I plan to use the Kidd stage one trigger, bolt handle and charger assy. and buffer. Is it worth the extra money to change out the bolt?

Edited by crossfire
  • Admin Team

A 10/22 as a system is really the sum of the parts.

It's not the first part most people look to replace, but you're not going to reap the full accuracy potential from the platform without spending some time on the bolt.

That said, it's easy to fall down the rabbit hole with the 10/22 and wind up with a $1000+ rifle.  You're only going to go so far with the 10/22 - and by the time you've spent that kind of money, if accuracy is what you're really after - you're a long way towards a higher end rifle.

• Like 3

/\ what he said.  I have a full Kidd Supergrade and while it shoots very, very well, it won't compete on a regular basis with my bolt guns.

If you are just looking to plink with a very nice trigger, don't worry about the bolt.  If you can afford it and want to build an awesome 10/22, go all Kidd.  If you want pure accuracy, do what Mac said and put the money in a nice bolt gun.   You don't even have to spend a ton of money on a bolt gun to get great accuracy.  Or better yet, do both as money and time allow.

As a side note, if you want to become hooked on 22's for target shooting, look no further than an old Winchester model 52 or Remington 40x (a 37 will also do).

• Like 1

Which likely won't outdo an off the shelf $400 Savage Mark II.

- OS

Well that's why this build has been sitting at the half done stage for over 7 years. I bought a Savage Mark ll and the 10/22 has sat unfinished ever since. Now I'm looking to start up the 10/22 project again, I just don't know how far to take it. The trigger has had a little work done to it, got it down to 4 1/2 LB, and everything in the receiver is stock Ruger. It shoots pretty good as is, but the Mark ll will beat the hell out of it. I just don't know how much $$ to put down the rabbit hole and what to expect. This is what it looked like before I broke it down to give it a good cleaning and lube. I'm not looking for it to shoot like the Savage, I just want it in the ballpark.010.jpg

Edited by crossfire