Monthly carry gun training

Just curious on how many hours/rounds you guys try to get in each month with your main carry gun. 50 rounds a month? 100? One range day a month or less? I've set a goal for myself. I am gonna to get a Norris membership next month and commit myself to shooting after work at least twice a week. Everything from basic marksmanship to reloads. My goal is 100 rds through the gun a week. How often do you practice?

Sent from the backwoods

There's no substitute for slinging lead downrange, but dry-fire practice is a close substitute and it's free. Even better, IMHO, you can get a a laser cartridge (< $80) shoot at stuff in the comfort of your house/garage whenever you have spare time.. I think it helps a lot between range trips. It did a lot for my trigger control on SA/DA pistols.

100 rounds per week from my carry pistol.  The range is right down the road from the Publix I buy my groceries at so I usually go to the range and then buy groceries for the week.  It is only a square range so I don't get the best practice, but something is better than nothing.  Once my membership is up this year I'm going to switch to an outdoor range where I can do movement and draw from my holster.  

Just curious on how many hours/rounds you guys try to get in each month with your main carry gun. 50 rounds a month? 100? One range day a month or less? I've set a goal for myself. I am gonna to get a Norris membership next month and commit myself to shooting after work at least twice a week. Everything from basic marksmanship to reloads. My goal is 100 rds through the gun a week. How often do you practice?

Sent from the backwoods

Let me know when you go and I will head out there as well.

As far as how often I shoot I try to put some rounds through anything at least 5 times a week. Sometimes it is a pistol and sometimes it is a rifle.

I do some dry fire and manipulations every day. Shoot IDPA matches pretty much monthly (shot 15 last year) . Teach an average of about 1 1/2 classes per month (normally 18 to 24 per year)  where I demo the drills for the students, and I attend classes from other instructors (4 this year so far).  But I'm not exactly  the typical "I only carry when I travel or when I go to a bad part of town" CCW guy.....  

I assumed you did Dolomite.

Being as this is the internet and as such the written word has no body language or voice inflection and it is easy to misunderstand postings, and I might have misunderstood yours, but my comment was not directed at you . It was a commentary on the "typical" HCP holder who can't remember the last time he actually carried or remember whether he left his gun in the sock drawer or the underwear drawer..... 

I assumed you did Dolomite.

Being as this is the internet and as such the written word has no body language or voice inflection and it is easy to misunderstand postings, and I might have misunderstood yours, but my comment was not directed at you . It was a commentary on the "typical" HCP holder who can't remember the last time he actually carried or remember whether he left his gun in the sock drawer or the underwear drawer.....

I think all the regular members on here will always have at least one on them, and in the sock drawer, the underwear drawer, the closet, under the bed, by the shower, tucked in the couch, top of the fridge, on the work bench, glove box, trunk, barn, gym bag, and various plants scattered about the house.

I think all the regular members on here will always have at least one on them, and in the sock drawer, the underwear drawer, the closet, under the bed, by the shower, tucked in the couch, top of the fridge, on the work bench, glove box, trunk, barn, gym bag, and various plants scattered about the house.

I don't recall us ever meeting or you ever coming to my house but you seem to know a lot about me and my carry habits. :)
  • Like 1

Besides on me or in car, all my handguns are loaded and stashed around the abode -- I've actually misplaced one for a week or more a couple times, and not due to senility, only the size of the inventory. :)

- OS

• Like 1

Let me know when you go and I will head out there as well.

As far as how often I shoot I try to put some rounds through anything at least 5 times a week. Sometimes it is a pistol and sometimes it is a rifle.

I'll let you know. Most of my range trips will be after work at 500 am and I'll start shooting at daylight so I doubt you wanna do that lol.

ON TOP OF THE FRIDGE!!! Oh man, I never thought of that...   <Runs to find optimal "refrigerator draw" location>

Edited by jgradyc

Not nearly enough for sure.  I'd say maybe 3 times a month on a good month and 2-3 mags each time.  But that is all guns and not just my carry gun.  I have been trying to run a mag through my TCP each time I get out.  Mainly because I know that it does not function well if it's dirty and I can't bring myself to clean a clean gun.  I will say that the TCP has been 100% since I polished all of the contact points on the rail and the slide.  I usually carry a Glock as well but I honestly don't enjoy shooting Glocks, I probably fire my Glocks less than a half a dozen sessions per year combined.  Basically I get more range time with the guns that I probably wouldn't have on me if I needed them.   

Besides on me or in car, all my handguns are loaded and stashed around the abode -- I've actually misplaced one for a week or more a couple times, and not due to senility, only the size of the inventory. :)

- OS

We might be related...In my house you better follow the rule "all guns are always loaded" Edited by Gotthegoods
  • Like 1