HK VP40

atlas3025

• Administrator

Wake me up when they offer a VP45.  This was necessary for them to pursue the striker-fired police service pistol market, but the .40SW is just not a cartridge I care about anymore.  Everything I carry now is either 9mm or .45ACP

• Like 2

I'm in for a VP9L if/when it comes out.

For anyone who likes .40 and HK, there are some USP .40's (probably trade-ins) on Gunbroker right now for $350.  I don't need or want a .40, but that's almost too cheap to pass up.  

I'm in for a VP9L if/when it comes out.

I could be wrong, but I don't see that ever happening. They already brought the gun out as the same size as the P30L. I foresee them putting out a VP9SK before anything else in the 9mm lineup. Especially with how well the new P30SK is selling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Edited by GhostRecon21
  • Like 1

I'm not impressed. As to the 10 mm, it's probably going to linger on a while becoming much as the .41 Mag with a scant following.

I disagree. As noted just above, 10MM is really gaining traction again. I got one last fall and LOVE the round. For realoders who already have a 40 it's a no-brainer. 41 didn't have a popular sister caliber to share components with, whereas 10MM does. I'm seeing 10MM on more and more store shelves.

It's a great balance of power in a high capacity double stack. I'm hoping to see more options in the next couple years. EAA makes one on pretty much all their frames now (poor choice for the smaller frames, but whatever) RIA has started making them in all kinds of configurations, and Glock just made a flippin' huge one. 10MM is as alive and well now as it ever was... maybe more so, I believe. :-)

I plan on adding at least one more in the next year or so. I'd REALLY love to see an affordable 10MM carbine. That would be just awesome! I'd be excited what kind of power 10MM gained in a 16" barrel, like 357 mag.

Sorry, that's probably a bit off topic... I'm on lunch break with time on my hands, and I just shot my Witness Elite 10MM yesterday, so I'm still all jazzed up about it, haha!

I disagree. As noted just above, 10MM is really gaining traction again. I got one last fall and LOVE the round. For realoders who already have a 40 it's a no-brainer. 41 didn't have a popular sister caliber to share components with, whereas 10MM does. I'm seeing 10MM on more and more store shelves.

It's a great balance of power in a high capacity double stack. I'm hoping to see more options in the next couple years. EAA makes one on pretty much all their frames now (poor choice for the smaller frames, but whatever) RIA has started making them in all kinds of configurations, and Glock just made a flippin' huge one. 10MM is as alive and well now as it ever was... maybe more so, I believe. :-)

I plan on adding at least one more in the next year or so. I'd REALLY love to see an affordable 10MM carbine. That would be just awesome! I'd be excited what kind of power 10MM gained in a 16" barrel, like 357 mag.

Sorry, that's probably a bit off topic... I'm on lunch break with time on my hands, and I just shot my Witness Elite 10MM yesterday, so I'm still all jazzed up about it, haha!

I've been entertaining the idea of a 10mm for a few months now. I don't hunt or want to shoot down Apaches, but for some reason the 10mm intrigues me. I'm not a fan boy of Glock, but I'm giving serious thought to a Glock 20 Gen 4. I too would love to see a carbine.

10mm vs .41mag isn't an accurate analogy. .41mag was a bit more powerful than .357mag and just a touch less than .44mag. It was developed for police wanting .44mag power with less recoil. And at a time that police were transitioning over to 9mm semi autos. It was doomed from the start. Now, 10mm, nothing can touch it in a semi auto. Maybe .45super or .460rowland bi they aren't production calibers. 10mm is THE magnum auto loader caliber. It's not going anywhere. It may fade in popularity but it's never going away.

I could be wrong, but I don't see that ever happening. They already brought the gun out as the same size as the P30L. I foresee them putting out a VP9SK before anything else in the 9mm lineup. Especially with how well the new P30SK is selling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a good point. VP9 Expert, maybe? One can dream...

With reference to the rebuttals re: 10mm only time will tell but brief reassurances aren't unknown or unheard of in the gun world. Always, always be suspicious of gun writers and professional bloggers as they write copy geared towards monetary gain. Unbiased reporting is always suspect. If you love the 10mm then good, I've traveled down that road and its a round best run on the warmish to hot side otherwise its just another 40. Size wise in the 10mm the G-29 is more then ok and falls into a size niche that's comfortable for me. It also does well in recoil management. Still I'll stick with a 9mm or 45 as they serve my needs. 

I reaffirm my original statements. Though I'm a massive gun nut, I don't read gun mags. I have no idea what the writers are being paid to sell. TGO is the only gun forum I read. At various ranges and gun shops, I've met more people in the last year who have personally gotten into 10MM and like it than ever before. How many manufacturers even make a 41 Mag these days?
  • Like 1
S&W doesn't make a .41mag anymore. Neither does Dan Wesson. Colt doesn't unless it's available from their custom shop in a SAA. Ruger sells their Blackhawk in it but that's the only current production firearm I'm aware of. Marlin doesn't make their 1894 in it anymore.

I'm a gun nut and I read the magazines but I don't believe a word they say. I mostly just look at them to see if anything new has come out in the firearms world that I haven't heard about yet.

They show the model 57 still in production but I do not know if it is available anywhere.

I went to their website and went to sort their handguns by caliber in the search and it didn't list .41 magnum as an option. I knew that recently the 57 was produced in their classic line but with not seeing it on their website, I assumed they had dropped it from lack of sales.

With reference to the rebuttals re: 10mm only time will tell but brief reassurances aren't unknown or unheard of in the gun world. Always, always be suspicious of gun writers and professional bloggers as they write copy geared towards monetary gain. Unbiased reporting is always suspect. If you love the 10mm then good, I've traveled down that road and its a round best run on the warmish to hot side otherwise its just another 40. Size wise in the 10mm the G-29 is more then ok and falls into a size niche that's comfortable for me. It also does well in recoil management. Still I'll stick with a 9mm or 45 as they serve my needs. 

Wow, we have turned this into a 10MM thread.  Sorry about that, I think I derailed my own thread!  I will add that I think most people shooting 10mm these days, myself included, are using the Full-power loads from companies like Doubletap and Buffalo Bore.  They are powered like the original Norma load, and are really a handful...but that is the whole point!   I run a Glock 20 with a 6inch Longwolf barrel and a muzzle brake and heavier springs.  It is a handful, but is a grin-maker.

I had a 29 back in the 90's, but let it go.  My 20 I have been shooing since about 93.

Edited by atlas3025