Permit question?

I have had my permit since the late 1990's, so the question is not for me directly.  My daughter will turn 21 in November and reading the Dept. of Safety website, she has go online to pre-register, take the class, get fingerprinted, complete application.  Since I know that the class certificate is valid for 6 months, I wanted her to take the class this summer and then complete the application in November.

Being she is not 21 at this time, can she complete the pre-registration (online) and complete the class?

One may ask about my urgency.  She turns 21 in November and in January, she will be part of the National Student Exchange program where she can attend the University of Utah in Salt Lake City (all while paying only the rate for UT Martin).  Utah is one of the small handful of states where students can carry.

- you don't have to do the online "pre-registration".

- not a definitive answer, but Frontier around here does classes for those not yet 21 ("Courses are open to men and women who are within three months of their 21st birthday"), so seems clear you don't have to be 21 to actually take the class and submit the certificate later

- call HCP office to see if she can take the course and it be valid for the whole six months before she turns 21. I imagine the answer will be yes.

- or just call a couple of the places that do the course and ask, I'm sure they know too

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Thanks

I called Range USA in Jackson and verified the online registration is not require prior to taking the safety/shooting class.  It was advised she take the class next month or in August, in November, do the online registration and complete the rest of the process.

Does she leave before her birthday?  Not sure taking the class helps that much if she has not completed the process at the full service center before she leaves.  She will have to do so in person and they will not process her until she is 21.  Then finger prints and wait time for permit.  She cannot carry until she has her permit in hand. 

Thanks

I called Range USA in Jackson and verified the online registration is not require prior to taking the safety/shooting class.  It was advised she take the class next month or in August, in November, do the online registration and complete the rest of the process.

You still don't have to do the online registration even then. I think its only real advantage is that you can check on progress once everything is submitted and see when approved.

edit: and yes, as per Chances R, you do have to physically show up at a full service DMV to submit the app and class cert, then go get electronic fingerprints elsewhere that are matched to the application number -- none of that is an online process if that's what you are somehow thinking.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

You still don't have to do the online registration even then. I think its only real advantage is that you can check on progress once everything is submitted and see when approved.

edit: and yes, as per Chances R, you do have to physically show up at a full service DMV to submit the app and class cert, then go get electronic fingerprints elsewhere that are matched to the application number -- none of that is an online process if that's what you are somehow thinking.

- OS

Is the going elsewhere to get fingerprinted something new or did I just miss that part? And where does one go to get printed? 

Is the going elsewhere to get fingerprinted something new or did I just miss that part? And where does one go to get printed? 

They give you a list of places in your area at the DMV when you submit app. Usually UPS Stores or  whatever that do them electronically. They give you a receipt with app number on it, so the place does electronic prints and beams them straight to TNDOS connected to your app number you don't have to go back to DMV.

You can even call ahead to the place and make "reservation" if you want, but most just go on over and drop in. Mine didn't take 5 min best I remember, and was at a UPS Store.

Has been procedure since I got mine anyway, that was umm...almost 7 years ago.  Your permit way before that, maybe back to hard copy fingerprint days?

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

They give you a list of places in your area at the DMV when you submit app. Usually UPS Stores or  whatever that do them electronically. They give you a receipt with app number on it, so the place does electronic prints and beams them straight to TNDOS connected to your app number you don't have to go back to DMV.

You can even call ahead to the place and make "reservation" if you want, but most just go on over and drop in. Mine didn't take 5 min best I remember, and was at a UPS Store.

Has been procedure since I got mine anyway, that was umm...almost 7 years ago.  Your permit way before that, maybe back to hard copy fingerprint days?

- OS

I got mine 10-12 years ago.  Still had to go to a different location for fingerprints and it was both ink and digital prints.  The scanner was very new at that time and very finicky.  Took most people (me included) a bunch of attempts for the scanner to accept your prints, then they did a back-up set in ink, just in case.  

• Like 1

Does she leave before her birthday?  Not sure taking the class helps that much if she has not completed the process at the full service center before she leaves.  She will have to do so in person and they will not process her until she is 21.  Then finger prints and wait time for permit.  She cannot carry until she has her permit in hand. 

She turns 21 in mid-November.  She and I will depart for Utah during first week of January.  

Might want to double check the campus carry. My impression is Federal law for campus carry is limited to in-state issued permits only....not reciprocal.

Assume you mean GFSZA, and that is correct. However, it only prohibits possession for elementary and secondary schools, not college.

- OS