NEF Pardner 410 Single Shot....... What ammo?

MrBrian

Bought this little 410 from Ramjo yesterday :-)    It's a 3" Full Choke single shot.   I'm guessing it's ok to shoot 45 LC through, but not sure?   Also, would it be ok to shoot slugs thru it?    I just have some Winchester PDX1 and some bird shot.....   what other 410 rounds would be handy to have around?Z78q6w2.jpg5kGNvqH.jpg

The Judge and other .45LC/.410 handguns are .45 Colts with a chamber big enough to handle the shotgun shell.

A .410 shotgun has a .410 diameter bore.  The .45 LC shoots a .452-.454 diameter bullet.  It's a recipe for disaster if you ask me and even though the .45 LC is a low pressure round, the .410 is even lower.  That gun was simply not designed for it.

Maybe it's doable but I wouldn't take the chance.  If you decide to please have a someone video it.

There's also the lack of rifling in the bore.  Why waste a $1-2 bullet that will fly who knows where.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 2

Is it because of high pressure?   The Taurus Judge can shoot 45 LC, you'd think this one could too

.45 colt is larger diameter bullet than .410 bore.

Handguns like Judge and Governor have .45 bore, not .410, and chamber is modified to accept both, not even sure .45LC will fit in regular .410?, but if it does, don't fire it.

Even if it were safe, which it's not, the bullet would come out of it like a knuckle ball, yaw and/or tumble all over the place.

- OS

edit: Garufa beat me tuit.

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 2

I'll measure the muzzle before I shoot slugs,   if I recall Iraqveteran8888's 410 that they did torture testing on measured .387   and they shot 444 marlin, .454 casul, and all kinds of stuff I'd never do out of theirs..... but you'd think a slug wouldn't fit down a Full Choke

• Like 1

I'll measure the muzzle before I shoot slugs,   if I recall Iraqveteran8888's 410 that they did torture testing on measured .387   and they shot 444 marlin, .454 casul, and all kinds of stuff I'd never do out of theirs..... but you'd think a slug wouldn't fit down a Full Choke

Rifled slugs are designed to compress via the "fins" on outside of slug which make the actual contact with bore, okay to shoot through full choke, though accuracy might or might not be as good as with a looser one. That's why there aren't any warnings on ammo packaging.

To quote Remington's Slugger packaging for example: "Slugger rifled slugs are designed for optimum performance in smooth bore barrels. Rifled slugs may be fired through any choke; however, improved cylinder provides best results".

Note that some folks however report better results through tighter chokes, so YMMV.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

All the slugs I see for 410 are listed as .40 caliber.   45 is much, much bigger.   You could probably take a 45 LC case and a .40 cal bullet and make a safe slug load if you had all that stuff but no shotshell reloading equipment.  That's if the 45 even fits at all.  It would require running the 45LC case thru "something" to neck it down, ruining that case for 45 most likely.  All in all it would be a huge amount of trouble with dubious results.  Just buy a box of 410 slugs. 

Edited by Jonnin

Another question....   I'm no hunter, but is it legal to hunt deer and turkey with a 410?    If you used a slug on deer and number 4 shot for turkey?    Or is it just used for squirrels, rabbits, and small birds?     Just curious.....   I'll just be using this one for target shooting and maybe collecting mistletoe come Christmas!

Another question....   I'm no hunter, but is it legal to hunt deer and turkey with a 410?    If you used a slug on deer and number 4 shot for turkey?    Or is it just used for squirrels, rabbits, and small birds?     Just curious.....   I'll just be using this one for target shooting and maybe collecting mistletoe come Christmas!

the hunter's guide thing has details but to the best of MY memory:

it would be legal for turkey.

it MAY be legal for deer, its unclear (slugs are legal, and I don't recall a bore size minimum requirement) but its seriously underpowered for it.  It might be OK with the 3" shells,  but the standard 410 is wimpy.

Edited by Jonnin
Another thing, this is an SB1 receiver. Cast and NOT heat treated like a SB2 rifle action. They are MORE than sufficient to hold what they were designed for but not much else.

If it were me, I'd make some .410 brass hulls from .444 Marlin brass and make me a slug mold that would be snug fit to the full choke. Cast from dead soft lead, you should just enough obturation to get a good seal but not an interference fit. That would keep pressures down and make accuracy pretty decent for a smooth bore. A compressed load of FF Goex or Swiss would be a LOT of fun, quite powerful and as long as you understand the rules for Holy Black (NO AIR SPACE!) it would be safer than smokeless.

Hmmm, now you got my gears turning. Might have to write that down for later.
  • Like 1
I can guarantee that little .410 is a squirrel and rabbit killer like you wouldn't believe possible. The problem is it's expensive to shoot. As already advised don't try and shoot .45 Lon Colt rounds out of it. Using Marlin .444 rifle cases for shot she'll reloads is doable too, I just never had the need to do so. One other thing about that little shotgun you bought. It's a wickedly deadly anti personnel weapon. That one falls into that beware the man who only has one gun advise.

I can guarantee that little .410 is a squirrel and rabbit killer like you wouldn't believe possible. The problem is it's expensive to shoot. As already advised don't try and shoot .45 Lon Colt rounds out of it. Using Marlin .444 rifle cases for shot she'll reloads is doable too, I just never had the need to do so. One other thing about that little shotgun you bought. It's a wickedly deadly anti personnel weapon. That one falls into that beware the man who only has one gun advise.

um, if its like the one I had, its a single shot.   I would not care to be shot by one but in terms of raw firepower its behind the curve a bit.

um, if its like the one I had, its a single shot.   I would not care to be shot by one but in terms of raw firepower its behind the curve a bit.

Yep. Single shot and decidedly behind the power curve but still deadly. H&R used to make a .410 shotgun called the Snakecharmer...it was a wickedly nasty little people shooter in sheeps clothing. One fellow went into a local apartment many years ago and murdered several people.

I'd never thought of the .410 in that manner but afterwards realized the low recoil, low report, compact carbine length made it very dangerous at near to point blank range. It's really something to consider for folks short on money or recoil sensitive.

It's also an excellent small game and woods walking "poor mans" shotgun.
A .410 shotgun will make you realize just how much you have to aim a shotgun and not just point in the general direction.

The lack of shot capacity makes it the hardest gauge of shotgun to hit with. But, if you can hit a flying bird with a 410, you can hit it with anything.

25 rounds of Winchester #4 shot
15 Remington 1/5 oz slugs
50 Winchester 7 1/2 shot
15 Remington 000 buckshot

20 Winchester 1/4 oz slugs

Today I almost spent as much on ammo as I did for the gun itself...

Edited by MrBrian

25 rounds of Winchester #4 shot
15 Remington 1/5 oz slugs
50 Winchester 7 1/2 shot
15 Remington 000 buckshot

20 Winchester 1/4 oz slugs

Today I almost spent as much on ammo as I did for the gun itself...

Yep. .410 ammo's expensive. Go to yard sales frequently and you'll find old boxes of the stuff for sale.

Yup. I had a single shot 410 for about a month. I got it brand new for $70 + t/t. When I realized ammo was 3x more expensive than 12g, I sold it for $90 at the next gun show!

I will say it was a fun lil' popper, but for the ammo cost I'd much rather be blasting away with a 12 or 20.

Enjoy your scattergun!:-)

.410 is one of the few gauges that you can reload and save money (eventually, since you have to buy a press, shot, primers, etc).  You can buy hulls from Ballistic Products.

I have the same shotgun and keep it handy for when coons climb my back fence to raid the bird feeders.  I broadsided a biggun a few years ago with #6's.  He went back over the fence faster than he came in and hasn't been seen since.