Better quit discussing guns, or else!

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/nra-gun-blogs-videos-web-forums-threatened-by-new-obama-regulation/article/2565762

Commonly used and unregulated internet discussions and videos about guns and ammo could be closed down under rules proposed by the State Department, amounting to a "gag order on firearm-related speech," the National Rifle Association is warning.

In updating regulations governing international arms sales, State is demanding that anyone who puts technical details about arms and ammo on the web first get the OK from the federal government — or face a fine of up to $1 million and 20 years in jail.

According to the NRA, that would include blogs and web forums discussing technical details of common guns and ammunition, the type of info gun owners and ammo reloaders trade all the time.

"Gunsmiths, manufacturers, reloaders, and do-it-yourselfers could all find themselves muzzled under the rule and unable to distribute or obtain the information they rely on to conduct these activities," said the NRA in a blog posting.

"This latest regulatory assault, published in the June 3 issue of the Federal Register, is as much an affront to the First Amendment as it is to the Second," warned the NRA's lobbying shop. "Your action is urgently needed to ensure that online blogs, videos, and web forums devoted to the technical aspects of firearms and ammunition do not become subject to prior review by State Department bureaucrats before they can be published," it added.

We are getting it on all fronts.

So, the first amendment is no longer in play?

It does, but remember, this has been discussed a lot on TGO...you better be willing to face "consequences" for your free speech, whether consequences be from the government or from a private party.

• Like 1

i read about this on the truth about guns and this is down right frighting! i know alot of people probably dont think this will happen but i believe it will happen and with obama in office the 1st and second amendment are in trouble not just for us but for future generations aswell cause most of us will probably be dead and gone before someone is elected to get rid of it.  

I will start:

The M4 is a gas operated, magazine fed, air cooled weapon shooting the 5.56x45 round. It is capable of semi automatic, as well as fully automatic, firing. Fully automatic rates of fire are 750 rounds per minute. It has a muzzle velocity in excess of 3,000 fps and is capable of piercing a steel helmet at 500 meters.

Hopefully that is not too technical and I hope some Congalese tribesman doesn't use this information.
  • Like 12

I will start:

The M4 is a gas operated, magazine fed, air cooled weapon shooting the 5.56x45 round. It is capable of semi automatic, as well as fully automatic, firing. Fully automatic rates of fire are 750 rounds per minute. It has a muzzle velocity in excess of 3,000 fps and is capable of piercing a steel helmet at 500 meters.

Hopefully that is not too technical and I hope some Congalese tribesman doesn't use this information.

If measures such as the proposed were to pass it is compulsory that they not be followed in mass.  They can't throw every gun owner in America in jail. 

We might have to do a daily muster so we will know when the good squads start picking is up.

1 mil fine and 20 years jail?!?!
Perhaps that's why the "biker gangs" in Waco have a 1 mil bond.

And I actually read that the only people shooting were NOT the bikers.

Me too, coincidently ALL of the witnesses were arrested.

Perhaps with the mindset of the "brilliant ones" because they were around firearms, even if they were Leo, they are guilty?!?! Edited by Still Ugly
I worked in a machine shop for 12 years or so. Mills, lathes, and on the tail end there, a little programming for Fadal machining center.
I learned a thing or two.

The Machinists Second Ammendment Creed

I will give up my ability to construct a steel tube, enclosed on one end, capable of launching projectiles at high velocities when they pry the knowledge from my cold dead brain.

I can NOT make a Browning A bolt. I can NOT build a S&W revolver. ....but, I CAN build a gun from scraps. It ain't even difficult.
  • Like 1

I will start:

Millions of us should flood the internet on every forum, youtube, blog ect. with tech specs about guns, what the hell can they do without shutting down the whole internet? Can they arrest a million or so?

And I actually read that the only people shooting were NOT the bikers.

Media Spin Mastas! It doesn't matter whether it's true or not; only if the sheeple believe it!

aa2.gif

Edited by Ted S.

Millions of us should flood the internet on every forum, youtube, blog ect. with tech specs about guns, what the hell can they do without shutting down the whole internet? Can they arrest a million or so?

I think there is a few more than a million K. I'm guessing close to 200 million +............jmho

I think there is a few more than a million K. I'm guessing close to 200 million +............jmho

The conservative estimate was 80 million gun owners, that was years ago, probably over 100+ million now. Getting them all to agree to flood the internet with gun talk would be hard but just a few million would send a message.

The article says this is being PROPOSED by the State Department. The duties of the State Department include the following:

• Serves as the President's principal adviser on U.S. foreign policy;
  • Conducts negotiations relating to U.S. foreign affairs;
  • Grants and issues passports to American citizens and exequaturs to foreign consuls in the United States;
  • Advises the President on the appointment of U.S. ambassadors, ministers, consuls, and other diplomatic representatives;
  • Advises the President regarding the acceptance, recall, and dismissal of the representatives of foreign governments;
  • Personally participates in or directs U.S. representatives to international conferences, organizations, and agencies;
  • Negotiates, interprets, and terminates treaties and agreements;
  • Ensures the protection of the U.S. Government to American citizens, property, and interests in foreign countries;
  • Supervises the administration of U.S. immigration laws abroad;
  • Provides information to American citizens regarding the political, economic, social, cultural, and humanitarian conditions in foreign countries;
  • Informs the Congress and American citizens on the conduct of U.S. foreign relations;
  • Promotes beneficial economic intercourse between the United States and other countries;
  • Administers the Department of State;
  • Supervises the Foreign Service of the United States.

Somebody tell me where restricting free speech over the internet is in that list, please.

• Like 1

I wonder how this lawsuit will effect this?  

Designer of 3-D-printed gun challenges feds to Constitutional duel - http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/05/07/designer-3d-printed-gun-challenges-feds-to-constitutional-duel/

Thanks

Robert

Edited by rmiddle

How will they make this stick?  I'm no expert on ITAR regs, but I don't understand how they can cover the discussion of individual small arms and ammunition under it without running afoul of the Constitution.  First attempted prosecution and SAF, NRA, GOA would most likely front the legal fees to get it squashed riki tik.

I got an email from the NRA today entitled, "Stop Obama's Planned Gag Order on Firearm-Related Speech"  Of course, they urgently want me to send money.  I've learned that I have to check emails like this from the NRA for truth.  I have found that they mis-characterize or tell bold face lies to get us to send money.

I found and read the source document.  The document wasn't easy to read and I'm not sure exactly what it said.  It certainly didn't say anything about a gag order on firearm related speech.  As best I could tell, it's meant to keep information about weapons systems out of the hands of the bad guys.

It's also possible that it is wolf in sheep's clothing.  However, they shouldn't be saying things like, "gag order on ....."  

It really irritates me that I can't trust the NRA to be honest about when there is really an issue.

I'm grateful for the NRA.  We have the gun freedom's that we have in large part because of them.  I may get a Lifetime membership while they are $500.

While grateful, I will call them out on their BS.

• Like 1