S&W 686+ 3" or Ruger GP100 Wiley Clapp 3"?

mhl6493

Like many of you, I'm constantly thinking about "the next one."  At the moment, even though it may be a while before I can afford it, I'm thinking about these two revolvers, both in the 3 inch variety:

Ruger Wiley Clapp GP100 -- http://www.kygunco.com/ruger-wiley-clapp-gp100-357-magnum-%7C-38--58266

S&W 686+ -- http://www.kygunco.com/smith-and-wesson-model-686-plus-357-mag-38-special-3in-stainless-revolver-28347

Both have their advantages and disadvantages from my perspective (i.e., I'm not a big fan of the internal lock on the Smith), and I realize that ultimately if possible I need to put my hands on each of them before purchasing either -- which is probably going to be next to impossible given local availability.  But, that aside, and realizing that neither of these guns is really "better" than the other, which would you be most interested in purchasing, and why?  Would love to hear your perspective... 

The only 686 I'd want to own would be a pre lock variant and I'm not impressed with that platform with a 3" barrel. The 3" WC GP-100 though handles and feels differently then the 4" GP-100. I like it quite a lot and wouldn't mind owning one of them myself. If your intent is to obtain a fixed sight 3" 6 shot 357 Magnum revolver you might want to consider a used S&W M-13 or M-65 as not only do they weigh less but they're also slightly less bulky then the GP-100. the same applies to the Ruger Speed six and Security Six.
  • Like 1

The only 686 I'd want to own would be a pre lock variant and I'm not impressed with that platform with a 3" barrel. The 3" WC GP-100 though handles and feels differently then the 4" GP-100. I like it quite a lot and wouldn't mind owning one of them myself. If your intent is to obtain a fixed sight 3" 6 shot 357 Magnum revolver you might want to consider a used S&W M-13 or M-65 as not only do they weigh less but they're also slightly less bulky then the GP-100. the same applies to the Ruger Speed six and Security Six.

Thanks - that gives me some other options to consider, though it sure does deem like those uses S&W revolvers demand a premium price, when/if you can even find them...  I have a 4" GP100 with the big Hogue grip, and I love it as a bedside gun, but it's definitely a handful.  Glad to know the 3" handles differently.  Hopefully I'll get to try one out before I made a decision.  

Thanks - that gives me some other options to consider, though it sure does deem like those uses S&W revolvers demand a premium price, when/if you can even find them...  I have a 4" GP100 with the big Hogue grip, and I love it as a bedside gun, but it's definitely a handful.  Glad to know the 3" handles differently.  Hopefully I'll get to try one out before I made a decision.  

I've had the 686 3" for several years, and it's an awesome gun, at least for me. Yes it's a little heavy for a Smith, but it shoots well and is very accurate, at least to the extent of may abilities. Traded off my 686 4" sometime back. No real reason that I can remember, just wanted something different.

I have a GP100 shooter. It's just and average condition, somewhat worn pistol. And yes, it is heavier than the 686.

But I prefer shooting it over the 686. It just tames those 357 loads nicely.

I just picked up a GP100 3". It is an absolutely beautiful pistol. Fantastic feel in the hands and a really good trigger considering it's had very few rounds thru it.

First owner babied it. lol

Now about those Wiley Clapp versions...I absolutely want one! Can't decide between the SS or the blue/grey finish. I've seen them described as versions of blue, some say grey. In any event, they are awesome.

But...don't rule out the Match Champion. Awful pretty, balances a little better, and if you look around, can be gotten cheaper than the WC versions.

Which will I get? Dang if I know.

• Like 1

Your right, just send me all those undesirable smooth cylinder Smiths.
F695F656-3BC7-40E4-A9A8-09961C2727AE-325

Any three inch barrel Smith will be a highly collectable and desired piece. However, you often pay dearly for them. The fit and finish of a GP100 will not compare to most Smiths, but you don't pay for it either. Rugers are fine pieces for what you pay for them. I will say that the GP100 Target Match and Wiley Clapps I have seen actually have some of the worst finishes of all the Rugers.

• Like 2
You probably won’t carry it, so why a 3”? If you want a range/competition revolver I would go 4” (or possibly 6").

There are plenty of pre-lock 686’s available. There are also 19’s and 66’s available. If I could find a mint pre-lock I would buy it, but I wouldn’t take a used pre-lock over a new 686; especially if I was going to use it as a target revolver or for home protection.

The lock is a non-issue for anything other than collectability. And even then you will see guns with locks selling for as much as those without. A 686 is not a collector’s item in the gun world.

There are thousands of grips made for K/L frame; any size and shape you like.

I shot in pistol competitions for years with revolvers and it boils down to personal preference; mine is for Smith & Wesson. I own handguns of all types, but my nightstand gun is a 686.

The bottom line is this. If you line up shooters at 25 yards one with a K frame, one with an L frame, one with a Ruger, and one with a Python, all in 4”; the deciding factor will be the shooter, not the gun.
  • Like 2

Your right, just send me all those undesirable smooth cylinder Smiths.
F695F656-3BC7-40E4-A9A8-09961C2727AE-325

Any three inch barrel Smith will be a highly collectable and desired piece. However, you often pay dearly for them. The fit and finish of a GP100 will not compare to most Smiths, but you don't pay for it either. Rugers are fine pieces for what you pay for them. I will say that the GP100 Target Match and Wiley Clapps I have seen actually have some of the worst finishes of all the Rugers.

Good choice on those Ahrends grips! ;)

I have them on a few Smiths, eventually I plan to have them on all of them!