CCW Classes in Knoxville

Guest Cerberus

Guest Cerberus

I asked about this on another thread, but didn't get much of a response (Someone reccommended gunny's in Maryville). I am looking for a Saturday class that doesn't cost a fortune. Thanks:koolaid:

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I asked about this on another thread, but didn't get much of a response (Someone reccommended gunny's in Maryville). I am looking for a Saturday class that doesn't cost a fortune. Thanks:koolaid:

Coal Creek Armory has them every Saturday. $85.00 and it's on an indoor, heated/cooled range.

Due to moving in and out of state I've taken the class multiple times; Phantom at Austin's in Oak Ridge has the best class going - HCP and NRA basic pistol at the same time.

Guest bkelm18

I took my HCP class at Gunny's. Personally, I would not recommend it. The instructor wasn't very knowledgeable on firearm nomenclature or carry laws in general. Based on what you are looking for, Coal Creek Armory or Phantom6's place in Oak Ridge (Austin's Tennessee Firearms School) seem to be your best bet.

Guest Glknknox

There is a class out in Kingston, just out of Kville that charges 50 bucks or so.

They advertise in the thrifty nickle.

Took mine there a few years ago, guy is a ex glock instuctor.

Not a high class place, but it gets the job done.

Guest nraforlife

Since I don't do it anymore, or haven't for awhile, I recommend Coal Creek. However ORSA used to have HCP classes there, don't know if they still do but...

jwp, Is Kent Brown? still teaching the class at Coal Creek? I took the class last December and he seemed like a great guy and being a LEO, I think he gave us a lot of insight into their view on CC and some tips to keep us out of trouble.

Yes. Kent is still our head instructor. He's a great guy and very "down to earth."

Guest bkelm18
Is there a difference here in TN. We were told the TN HCP allows either open or concealed carry'

Yes, thats the difference. A Concealed Carry License, etc., is just that. A license to carry concealed. In TN, its a Handgun Carry Permit, it does not specify that you have to carry it concealed, so open carry is an option.

Guest Cerberus
The name of the place is Downrange (376-2851). Cost is $50 and the classes are always on a Saturday (one is held roughly every 6 weeks). If just so happens that there is a class tomorrow (11/15/08).

Shoot, I wish I'd read this Friday!

Is there a difference here in TN. We were told the TN HCP allows either open or concealed carry'

while carrying open is an option, its not recommended. for your own safety its best to carry concealed. this way someone can't attempt to take your weapon, and also police won't feel the need to "hassle" (i mean that in the nicest way :rolleyes:) you when they see you carrying open.

There is a class out in Kingston, just out of Kville that charges 50 bucks or so.

They advertise in the thrifty nickle.

Took mine there a few years ago, guy is a ex glock instuctor.

Not a high class place, but it gets the job done.

I wouldnt take it from him again if he paid ME.

Transplanted Yankee with ALL of the attitude intact. Treated some of the older guys like dirt. Very drab/dirty/dingy range.

Go to Coal Creek for the professionalism (instructor is ex LE SWAT instructor, retired) and the facility.