Tucker "The Answer"

Guest tadams

Another in a long line of concealed holster questions, but more specific...

I have yet to carry my Dan Wesson C-Bob 1911. I've been losing a little weight, waiting for my "inches lost" reward to be a holster and belt combo. That time is near. The time to order a holster is now. Ultimately, I want a rock solid steady IWB holster that is tuckable and won't rub the ever-loving beejeezus out of my side. I do plan to get a serious belt to go with it.

I've narrowed down the holster options to either the MTAC or the Tucker "Answer" with the *NEW* OPTIONAL lined "silent thunder" treatment. I think I've decided on the Tucker instead of the MTAC, but just ain't sure.

Pros for Tucker?

1. Kydex for 1 handed reholstering without the thickness needed for that same ability in leather only (both holsters)

2. Leather lining for less sound on draw (not so much, but still a feature)

3. Leather lining for less wear on pressure points while gun is seated and sliding in/out (Am I being overprotective?)

Pros for MTAC?

1. Adaptable Kydex bodies. (Tucker says against this, but I don't see what the big deal is, so long as the MTAC folks make the fixture points so that the trigger guard and grips are focused pretty close to the same position in relation to the leather base. Do they do that???)

So those of you that have an Answer OR an MTAC....

Do you have a gut? Love handles? Beer belly? Spare Tire?

Seriously, I want to go this way of carry and have lost some weight, but I'm not gonna totally get rid of some of my insulation; after all, winter's coming on and I need to stay warm! :)

Seriously... THANKS FOR READING! I'm trying to get it right the first time.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator
*NEW* OPTIONAL lined "silent thunder" treatment. I think I've decided on the Tucker instead of the MTAC, but just ain't sure.

St. John the Infallable and his crew of moderators over at 1911.org have never met an advertiser's product that they didn't like. The 1911 E-Zine provides clearly the best reviews that spiffs and kickbacks can buy.

Just take whatever you read over there with a huge spoonful of salt.

Guest Verbal Kint

That "silent thunder" option has to be the gayest, most gimmicky, crap that I've seen in quite some time... to elicit additional money out of a customer.

Regardless of whether you go with the "Answer" or the "MTAC", forget about that extra crap. The sound, upon drawing, is irrelevant and negligible anyway. Holster wear? It's going to happen anyway, no matter what you choose. It's part of owning and carrying a gun. And, in my experience, kydex has presented less wear than a normal leather holster anyway. Hybrid holsters, like the two you are looking at, present even less wear. :usa:

Here's something to ponder. Barbers used to have leather straps attached to their chairs that would hang down. It was for running straight razors down it, and knocking burrs off the razor's edge... effectively honing the blade and keeping it "razor sharp". So wouldn't repeatedly drawing and reholstering your gun on a smooth lether surface do the same thing to your gun's edges and finish??? :)

My theory is just as absurd as the one stating why you would need that "silent thunder" junk. lol. Just figured I'd toss mine out there in case you wanted to buy it too. :D

My advice... buy the MTAC and don't look back. It's cheaper, the wait time is way less, and they pretty much pioneered and continually improved the design.

St. John the Infallable and his crew of moderators over at 1911.org have never met an advertiser's product that they didn't like. The 1911 E-Zine provides clearly the best reviews that spiffs and kickbacks can buy.

I knew somebody would like that. It's just the best url I could find at explaining it... if you can wade through the underbelly of BS. I do have a fairly strong BS sniffer, but read the end of this reply as to why I cared:

That "silent thunder" option has to be the gayest, most gimmicky, crap that I've seen in quite some time... to elicit additional money out of a customer.

I'll have to admit the name is pretty bad ain't it? lol

Regardless of whether you go with the "Answer" or the "MTAC", forget about that extra crap. The sound, upon drawing, is irrelevant and negligible anyway.

Like I eluded to... that factor has very little basis on my decision.

Holster wear? It's going to happen anyway, no matter what you choose. It's part of owning and carrying a gun. And, in my experience, kydex has presented less wear than a normal leather holster anyway. Hybrid holsters, like the two you are looking at, present even less wear. :)

The thing with the Kydex wear... and I'm certainly not a master opionator on this, which is why I'm asking for help... is that I bought a Blackhawk sportster Serpa and having only drawn the gun less than a dozen times out of it, the finish is showing wear at the pinch points on both sides of the top of the slide. The DW C-Bob has a blasted, not smoothed, finish and it looks as though the holster has polished off the finish to smooth.

Do tell, oh experienced one. :P lol This really is what I'm asking for, here. You don't happen to have a gut, too, do ya? lmao

Edited by tadams
  • Administrator

My gut lingers albeit smaller than it was earlier this year. I can tell you that even with my tool-shed pressing against the grip of the gun, my MTAC holsters have presented no appreciable wear on the finish of any of the firearms that I've carried in them.

Guest Verbal Kint
Never mind about the gut thing. I just saw the pic in your profile.

Since separating from the military, civilian life has definitely been nice to me... don't let the photo fool you. :)

Put on about 15-20 pounds (lack of exercise + crappier diet), that I'm now working to take back off. It's true what they say... it's a lot harder to lose it, than to have put it on in the first place.

Even with the noticeable weight gain, the MTAC is just as comfortable now as it was without the love handles.

Guest GUTTERbOY

I've been known to unleash "silent thunder" from time to time...

:usa:

Just so I can say I contributed something mildly useful to this thread, I have a Tucker Texas Heritage and am very satisfied with it. I do wish it had a reinforced mouth for one-handed holstering, but it's not that big of a deal really...

Upon further review of this odd leather-lined kydex mutant, I have come to the conclusion that this is a perfect example of a solution looking for a problem.

Unfortunately, now we have a whole new problem:

I've been known to unleash "silent thunder" from time to time...

:P

lmao!!!!

I'm catching on. I'm just a little anal retentive when it comes to things. As a matter of fact, that may be a better name for a holster than "silent thunder"... yeah, it has a nice ring to it. I can hear the schpiel, now, "My gun seats in so tight it's like the holster simply puckers around the gun as it slides in." "I would suggest the 'Anal Retentive' to anyone."

00010287-958179_400.jpg?k=63d0af0d&pid=10287&s=catl

My mind is unofficially, officially, genuinely, artificially made up. If for no other reason than my holster not being referred to as an unidentifiable intoxicating aroma... (drumroll inserted here)... I'm getting the MTAC. This, until such time as the anal retentive model becomes available.

Edited by tadams
added snl shirt
Guest GUTTERbOY
I can hear the schpiel, now, "My gun seats in so tight it's like the holster simply puckers around the gun as it slides in." "I would suggest the 'Anal Retentive' to anyone."

"It's the ultimate in security for your carry weapon. You owe it to yourself to pick up the new Blackhawk SERPA with patented Anal Retention™ technology."

Edited by GUTTERbOY
Guest HexHead

I guess you didn't read the latest review of the RRA 1911? There was an STI one also that wasn't completely complementary.