Thinking of getting a dog...please choose rescue.

There are more reasons to to get rescue animals - the likelihood of getting a great animal is far greater than purchasing from a breeder.

My ex-wife is a master dog trainer, so I saw many, many dogs when we were together.

What I'm about to say isn't always true, though is the majority of the time.  Often, the pure breed dogs are badly inbred.  The "champion" dogs we hear about are usually a champion because of their looks - not what's between the ears.

Also, dog's MUST be properly socialized by their mother as puppies.  There are far too many breeders that interfere with this and when they do the dog will never be able to be a good pet.  This is much less of an issue with rescues.

• Like 1

Our three pups got adopted today. All have been placed in good homes! :) Very emotional couple of days for us knowing they would be going since they've been with us before birth. My wife has poured her heart and soul into these pups for the last 8 weeks so it's been really hard for her.

Mom is still with us at the moment. She has been a great mom to the pups and seems to fit in well with our other dogs. We have grown very attached to her. I'm on the fence about keeping her due to already having 3. My wife wants to keep her so we'll see.

If we keep her, it limits our ability to feasibly foster other dogs in the future due to our somewhat limited space IMO.

Also, and you guys that have several dogs know what I'm talking about, non-dog people already roll their eyes when they hear we have 3 dogs. They really freaked out when when had the mom and pups for a temporary total of 7. So we're back down to 4 right now.

I guess it doesn't matter what other people think so we'll see what happens with keeping mom or not.

Congrats on the adoptions! I can't even imagine how hard fostering is. To meet them, get to know them and the let them go. I always wanted to do it, but it's really hard with 7 of our own. We have the space, but the 7 have a pack mentality. They accept small dogs or puppies but they get defensive if a large dog is around. It's hard. Whatever you and your wife decide to do, just know how awesome you both are for what was just done! I admire you both for it.

I love Mutts period. Kasey is a Mutt and all my friends comment on the fact that she is much smarter than her master and I just laugh and say "yep, she has me well trained............... :up:  I had some friends looking to get a dog and I begged them to get a shelter dog but they said they didn't want a Mutt. I said you might be sorry for getting anything pure bred. They did not listen and paid $1,700.00 for an AKC English Bull Dog. They cannot control it and it tears up furniture and they have spent more money on Vet bills than they paid for the dog in last three years as the dog always has health issues. The husband has said several times he wished he would have listened to me. They just learned recently the dog may have to be put down as it has began developing tumors that may be cancer. That is in most cases when you buy anything from Puppy mills. The blood lines are stretched entirely to far making most pure breds sick when you buy them..............jmho

We have three rescues. This one came with a few bad habits, but she's turned into an outstanding dog. :rofl:   Her pre-haircut picture is my avatar... hard it tell it's the same dog! Oh, and I don't smoke. She picks these empty cartons up on her morning walks and carries them home.

2pqjlvp.jpg

30086xs.jpg

Edited by jgradyc