stun gun advice?

BigK

I was thinking about nonlethal self-defense tools and was curious if anyone had any advice on stun guns.

I think I'd like a taser better, but they're so darn expensive that I can't afford one right now. I have pepper spray, but there are scenarios, like contact distance, where it'd be stupid to deploy it and risk getting myself with the blast. So, I thought maybe a stun gun would be better, since it's cheaper and unlike pepper spray, it can be recharged/reused. I also like the idea that a warning crackle to ward off trouble won't land me in jail like a warning shot from a handgun would.

Anything I'm mistaken about or overlooking?

Anyone use an affordable model that you'd recommend?

BTW...I see 1100+ reviews on [url="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FPE6UN2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3C7IRSYS82UNR"]this one[/url], but I don't really trust Amazon reviews and I really really don't believe the claimed voltage. I also can't help but be skeptical of the quality considering the price.

Anything I'm mistaken about or overlooking?

Tasers have caused deaths.

Police have qualified immunity; you don’t.

When do you think you would be justified in using a taser that you couldn’t use a gun, or wouldn’t be justified in firing a warning shot prior to killing someone?
Taser.gifTaser.gif

Tasers have caused deaths.

Police have qualified immunity; you don’t.

When do you think you would be justified in using a taser that you couldn’t use a gun, or wouldn’t be justified in firing a warning shot prior to killing someone?
Taser.gifTaser.gif

You could use a taser when you can't use a firearm. They are not even considered the same level of force. If you can use OC spray in self defense you could use a taser/stun gun.

If you get some sort of ECW I would advise against a stun gun. Any thing you have to physically keep contacting the bad guy with while fighting won't work well. I've been there with tasers trying to drive stun while fighting they just move and you loose contact. You need something that discharges probes. You need to keep distance to get a good spread or you don't get good neuromuscular incapacitation and have to basically follow up with a close stun to complete a circuit across muscle groups.

• Like 1

You could use a taser when you can't use a firearm. They are not even considered the same level of force. If you can use OC spray in self defense you could use a taser/stun gun.

You can, you are a cop; I can’t. I’m trying to think of a situation where it would be okay to taser someone and they died, but I was not justified in pulling or using a gun. I can’t think of any, but maybe I’m not thinking hard enough?

Don't think I would consider a taser, if something got so out of hand I needed to rely on a taser, it qualifies for an unholstering.

If you're worried about pepper spray in a confined area, just buy the strongest stuff you can find and have someone spray you with it so you know what to expect.  It's not the most pleasant thing, but has nothing on the military grade CS if you've went through the gas chamber.  You can still function when sprayed, what makes it so effective is that the other person doesn't know it's coming or how to deal with it.

I'd rather spray everyone in a 10' radius with pepper spray than lug around a taser the size of a gun that has a chance of not working on the intended threat.

You can, you are a cop; I can’t. I’m trying to think of a situation where it would be okay to taser someone and they died, but I was not justified in pulling or using a gun. I can’t think of any, but maybe I’m not thinking hard enough?

Maybe a bad example, but...I saw a video online where 2 pretty big teenage girls attacked a 3rd much smaller teenage girl in public. Turned out they almost killed her, but nobody knew that at the time. Pulling a gun on the other 2 girls to get them to stop seems questionable to me as does firing a warning shot inside a public place. That's what got me thinking of nonlethal force to stop the situation. The sound of the stun gun to warn them to stop and/or possibly lighting them up seemed at the time like a better alternative than deadly force or filling a confined space with pepper spray. I couldn't sleep at night, if I just walked away and did nothing, especially if I found out later that she was nearly killed and/or permanently maimed in some way. So, let's just pretend you came out of the bathroom at McDonald's and your teenage daughter was that 3rd girl taking the beat-down.

I know we can play what-if all day and maybe I've contrived too specific of a scenario that may not ever happen...I don't know. My brain just thinks of stuff like this sometimes and is forced to consider a solution. What would you do?

Edited by BigK

Maybe a bad example, but...I saw a video online where 2 pretty big teenage girls attacked a 3rd much smaller teenage girl in public. Turned out they almost killed her, but nobody knew that at the time. Pulling a gun on the other 2 girls to get them to stop seems questionable to me as does firing a warning shot inside a public place. That's what got me thinking of nonlethal force to stop the situation. The sound of the stun gun to warn them to stop and/or possibly lighting them up seemed at the time like a better alternative than deadly force or filling a confined space with pepper spray. I couldn't sleep at night, if I just walked away and did nothing, especially if I found out later that she was nearly killed and/or permanently maimed in some way. So, let's just pretend you came out of the bathroom at McDonald's and your teenage daughter was that 3rd girl taking the beat-down.

I know we can play what-if all day and maybe I've contrived too specific of a scenario that may not ever happen...I don't know. My brain just thinks of stuff like this sometimes and is forced to consider a solution. What would you do?

I can do with my hands what a Taser could do (stop the attack), if I couldn’t they would probably take the Taser and use it on me.

I’ll take an azz whipping before I pull a gun over people fighting. (I just don’t buy into the “They could die” nonsense and neither would most juries.)

If I were being threatened by thugs that were truly a threat I have no problem with pulling a gun; shooting them would depend on their actions.

I have never been tasered or tasered anyone. But I have used mace more times than I can count. I have had grown bad azz men sit down and cry, and I have had them act like I was spraying water on them. To me it’s a tool for dog attacks.

Nothing wrong with going through these scenarios in your mind; everyone should do it, especially if they are carrying a gun. Every scenario must be very specific though; otherwise there are too many options.

Protecting yourself and your family includes staying out of prison or financially devastating your family.
  • Like 1
I was trained on and carried Tasers but watched stun guns in use by local jailers. I wasn't impressed with the stun guns and have no confidence in them. The taser is another story but it also has limitations that require training and yearly qualifications to use safely and effectively. Agencies without strong use of force policies and serious use of force training have had issues with Tasers. It is by no means a foolproof device. I don't recommend it for non LE/MIL use.
  • Like 1

I see that I need to adjust my train of thought. I already assumed that zapping someone with a stun gun wouldn't get me in any less trouble than laying hands on someone or spraying them with pepper spray. Maybe I'm putting too much stock in the ominous electric crackle as a deterrent.

I see that I need to adjust my train of thought. I already assumed that zapping someone with a stun gun wouldn't get me in any less trouble than laying hands on someone or spraying them with pepper spray. Maybe I'm putting too much stock in the ominous electric crackle as a deterrent.

It does work instinctively on dogs, just a quick pop in the air has sent a pretty mean stray with his tail between his legs according to my buddy who carries one. For it to work on humans they'd need to hear it and recognize it, not likely in a high stress scenario where they're beating someone down as in your example. I think you'd pop it in th air a few times and they wouldn't even hear it.

Another thing to consider with the handheld models is you zap someone and the happen to be touching you or even close enough to touch you when they git hit, you just got hit. I would personally say in general if its a situation that needs physical involvement yet wouldn't meat the criteria for lethal force your best bet would probably be pepper spray or just jumping in, maybe both. As far as spraying the possible victim with the attackers, I wouldn't worry about it. Rather be pepper sprayed than beaten up any day of the week lol. Plus the same rule above applies, you'd probably have zapped them with the stun gun.

My issue with a stun gun is the same as has been mentioned above. You have to mantain contact for it to work. If I remember correctly Tennessee allows you to carry a baton if you take the class and get certified. Maybe do the class and carry a flat sap like cops used to carry? Very good weapons, that are non-lethal if used correctly and would hopefully be looked at as non-lethal response if you were certified for it