Where do I get the plans for this!?

A headboard with a door... easy enough.  Looks like it would be somewhat awkward to access when in a hurry. 

I agree. If the firearms were mounted on the door itself, and they dropped down, it might be easier. Except for hitting whoever is asleep in the bed in the head thing.

I agree. If the firearms were mounted on the door itself, and they dropped down, it might be easier. Except for hitting whoever is asleep in the bed in the head thing.

I was thinking a secret release. I have a safe to keep my stuff protected, but a place to stash quick access firearm that can't be easily accessed by my grandchildren when they are over would great.

• Admin Team

But it would also be obvious that it's a sliding door. :(

I kind of envisioned a model where the seam wouldn't be visible.  It would probably slide downward, and the seam would be covered by the mattress.  Let gravity do the work.

I kind of envisioned a model where the seam wouldn't be visible.  It would probably slide downward, and the seam would be covered by the mattress.  Let gravity do the work.

I did think of roll-top desk-ish type of front after I wrote that. :) Not wild about that look, however.

• Admin Team

I did think of roll-top desk-ish type of front after I wrote that. :) Not wild about that look, however.

I should sketch it out, but imagine the same design as above, but with slides instead of a hinge - like a window on your house.  In this case, your mattress would come more than halfway up the frame.  So long as you keep the area underneath it clear, hit the lock and the front basically slides down and hits the floor.  You could use a shock or something to slow it down, but I'd probably just put a rubber bumper in place to alleviate some stress and not worry about it.

Biometric is cool, but you could do it on the cheap with some type of hidden locking pin, too.

• Like 2

I should sketch it out, but imagine the same design as above, but with slides instead of a hinge - like a window on your house.  In this case, your mattress would come more than halfway up the frame.  So long as you keep the area underneath it clear, hit the lock and the front basically slides down and hits the floor.  You could use a shock or something to slow it down, but I'd probably just put a rubber bumper in place to alleviate some stress and not worry about it.

Biometric is cool, but you could do it on the cheap with some type of hidden locking pin, too.

I like the pin idea, you could do cosmetic pins all across the top, wiht only one being the key. Pull it, the door drops and all the goodies are exposed.

I think the bumper/shock would be absolutely necessary - particularly if you made it a full oak slide on a Kommifornia King bed. It would have to be straight up and down too like in the picture otherwise the mattress/frame would get in the way.

If I had a planer/joiner I'd be all over this.

• Admin Team

I'd also think that you'd want the sliding mechanism to be made out of metal. Wood will swell risking it binding on you at an inopportune moment.

Yep. No reason you couldn't use some drawer slides and a counterweight for balance.

As to the planer/joiner - I'm going to offend some real craftsmen here, but with a little creative design, modern cabinet grade oak plywood and good dimensional red oak or similar, I'd bet you'd be surprised at how good you could make it look using off the shelf lumber.

reminded me of this one. pretty quick access.

https://youtu.be/IRUw3R5kZtk

I saw that before making the OP. It is fast: however, perhaps too fast? Thinking of the instances where people have shot family members by mistake because of waking, drawing, and firing before they were awake enough to identify their target. Also, I'd hate to swing my arms back in my sleep to wake up to the firearm smacking me in the face.

I can see where that part would be a problem ...