Bursa Thunder .380 ?

Guest Sunshine23

Guest Sunshine23

I'm looking for anyone who has shot/owned one of these. I've been looking for a concealed carry gun and found one at a gun shop near me. I loved how it felt in my hand and I've heard that they are great guns. I just wonder about concealing it. I'm a pretty small girl and I don't like the thought of carrying it in my purse. Chris (NELSON) has been trying to talk me into getting a Keltec, but I haven't found one that fits well in my hand. Any advice is welcomed!!! Thanks

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking for anyone who has shot/owned one of these. I've been looking for a concealed carry gun and found one at a gun shop near me. I loved how it felt in my hand and I've heard that they are great guns. I just wonder about concealing it. I'm a pretty small girl and I don't like the thought of carrying it in my purse. Chris (NELSON) has been trying to talk me into getting a Keltec, but I haven't found one that fits well in my hand. Any advice is welcomed!!! Thanks

Please consider 9mm for your more effective self defense.

9mm Kahrs (if your budget allows) or Kel-Tec not much bigger. Maybe even Bursa 9mm, since you like Bersa, although I don't know anything about them, size/fit wise.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
add'l info

I personally liked my friends so I bought one, it wouldn't hardly chamber the first round, worked great once you forced it to chamber, but just pulling back and releasing it's like the spring was too weak. I sold it, didn't wanna try and track down parts or anything like that. But it shot great, fit the hand great, was very comfortable. I to agree you may be better with a 9mm for self defense, but I'm not sure you can get a 9mm this size, and heck a .22 is better than no gun, so if you like the bersa do it.

Guest Sunshine23
Please consider 9mm for your more effective self defense.

9mm Kahrs (if your budget allows) or Kel-Tec not much bigger. Maybe even Bursa 9mm, since you like Bersa, although I don't know anything about them, size/fit wise.

- OS

I would love to have a 9mm. I usually have a Taurus PT111 Millennium on me, but that's way to big. I have tried my boyfriends dads gun, a Kel-Tec 9mm (I think PF-9) but I couldn't get the trigger all the way back. I had it pulled as far as my finger would go, but it wasn't far enough. Do you know if there is anything to make the trigger pull shorter? Or is that a silly question?

I would love to have a 9mm. I usually have a Taurus PT111 Millennium on me, but that's way to big. I have tried my boyfriends dads gun, a Kel-Tec 9mm (I think PF-9) but I couldn't get the trigger all the way back. I had it pulled as far as my finger would go, but it wasn't far enough. Do you know if there is anything to make the trigger pull shorter? Or is that a silly question?

I guess anything can be modified...there is even a technique on these DAO triggers to simply build up the face of the trigger so that the pull effectively starts "earlier".

Also, you may find it effective to put ball of finger on trigger, rather than have trigger in first joint.

Have you ever shot a Kahr PM9?

They are pricier, but heck of gun, 4 x 5 x .8 inches, love mine; carry it in the pocket if for some reason I don't have my XD in IWB.

Kahr CW series slightly larger but significantly cheaper.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
add'l info

A .380 is a good SD round.Actually its commonly called a 9mm short. The problem with them is they have less penetration then a 9mm......but its the same size bleed hole.

That said,a small carry gun IMO isn't really supposed to be comfortable.They are meant to be tools,and nothing but.

If you like the Bursa,then thats great!Its a good gun,and even better that you find it comfy :up:

Go for it!

Guest Sunshine23
I guess anything can be modified...

Have you ever shot a Kahr PM9?

They are pricier, but heck of gun, 4 x 5 x .8 inches, love mine; carry it in the pocket if for some reason I don't have my XD in IWB.

Kahr CW series slightly larger but significantly cheaper.

- OS

I haven't had a chance to shoot one yet, but I have held one. I really liked it. I hope the next time we get to the range they will have one I can rent, but I doubt it... they don't have much to choose from. I plan on doing a lot of research before I make a decision. Thank you very much for your help.

I haven't had a chance to shoot one yet, but I have held one. I really liked it. I hope the next time we get to the range they will have one I can rent, but I doubt it... they don't have much to choose from. I plan on doing a lot of research before I make a decision. Thank you very much for your help.

If you were around down here, could certainly shoot mine.

By all means see if you can find somebody with one around up there that you could shoot it - remarkable precision weapon and firepower in such a small package.

best luck,

- OS

definitely not a silly question.

trigger pulls can be shortened..but I suggest you find a pistol that can be used without the gunsmithing. simply because it's just more economical.

I would not suggest the bursa .380..I have one and am having problems with a tension spring. it tends to come off every 100 rounds or so. Its an easy fix but still I wouldn't suggest that pistol for carry.

there are many .380's out there..but I would suggest a 9mm for concealed carry..or a .32 rather than a .380.

the .380 has a lower muzzle velocity and less penetration than the .32. mainly because most .380s operate on blowback and not recoil.

you can actually find quite a few older .32's that ar emore than serviceable for carry. I will have to ask Mark@sea what the model colts he has that are .32 they're exellent carry pistols and unlike most of the ones today, these are not made from plastic and half of them are older than both of us put together :up: they still operate flawlessly, are quite accurate and can be had for under 350 dollars.

My wife likes hers alot, as do I. Super reliable. No problem with the slide as mentioned above.

I'm also in the camp of "bigger is better BUT any hole is better than none". My wife does not enjoy practicing with any of our smaller guns except the .380 Bersa, and I prefer she carry what she practices best with. Just my opinion.

My wife has a Bersa, and really likes it. It shoots well, and is pretty accurate. Very easy to field strip and clean. The only problem I've ever had with it is once or twice the slide closed after the last bullet was ejected. Not a huge deal when practice shooting, but you don't know when you are empty until you hear the click, then you have to fully rack the slide when you put in a new magazine. It could have been that I didn't clean the gun properly. Like I said it happened once or twice, and never again.

The only other issue I have, and it's not with the gun, but ammo is a bit pricey for it. Wally World target ammo is around $30 / box of 100. My wife doesn't want to spend that kind of money on ammo, so she rarely practices with it.

You will hear a lot of people here say that the .380 is not a great SD round. That may or may not be true. I've heard that you definitely don't want to use hollowpoint ammo, just stick with the FMJ for better penetration. I'll also say that the .380 in your hand is better than nothing.

Guest sermon8r
My wife likes hers alot, as do I. Super reliable. No problem with the slide as mentioned above.

I'm also in the camp of "bigger is better BUT any hole is better than none". My wife does not enjoy practicing with any of our smaller guns except the .380 Bersa, and I prefer she carry what she practices best with. Just my opinion.

My wifes only complaint was that it is too heavy for Purse Carry.

Now a Berretta Tomcat .32 is in the Purse and the Bersa is IWB on her hip.

That was before we sold all our guns so the democrats have none to confiscate from us.:up:

Guest 70below

I'd also recommend the Kahr.....I've got a CW9 and it has probably one of the best feels in my hand of any pistol. I've also got a Bersa Thunder .380......and while its a fantastic gun....I don't like all the rough edges for a carry gun, and would much rather have the power of the CW9 on tap.

Guest HexHead
I'd also recommend the Kahr.....I've got a CW9 and it has probably one of the best feels in my hand of any pistol. I've also got a Bersa Thunder .380......and while its a fantastic gun....I don't like all the rough edges for a carry gun, and would much rather have the power of the CW9 on tap.

CW9 is a much nicer pistol than the Bersa. We considered one for my wife before eventually deciding on the Soringer EMP.

The only .380 I'd consider now is an older Colt Mustang. They're all older. :rolleyes:

Guest mn32768

I got me a used Bersa Thunder 380 a little while ago. The slide was sticking and would not feed properly, so I field stripped it and lubed it throroughly. I just put 150 rounds of WWB ammo through it today with not a single failure, except that one side of the plastic grips came loose. Trigger pull is smooth and the recoil is really mild. This in my mind makes it a better self defense gun for a newbie than a higher caliber one (shot placement! :tough:).

Guest cdsusong

I had a CW9 and it was nice and shot well, the only issue I had was the stiffness of the spring when racking the slide. This may or may not be an issue for the gals. If push comes to shove, the Walther P22 with high power ammo, unload the mag on a bad guy and I think they will stop moving. Light weight and a great little gun. JMO a great purse gun or backup.