Private Instruction (Knoxville area): Shotgun…limited Class size

Private Instruction: Shotgun…limited Class size

We are quite fortunate to be able to arrange a private shotgun class with Instructor Randy Harris in the Knoxville area. This will be a one day class, Sunday June 7th. Class size is intentionally limited. We have only 2 slots available and wanted to open those to TGO members.

The shotgun remains a very viable self defense tool. Learn to incorporate this tool into your home defense/self defense plans form one of the top instructors in the business.

Please PM me, or Randy aka Cruel Hand Luke, for registration and deposit info.

Don’t miss this one folks…Great Class and Excellent Instruction!

Tuition/fee: $200.00

Date: Sunday June 7th, 2015

TIME: 9:00am to 5:00pm

AMMUNITION: Approximately 150 rounds of Birdshot, 50 rounds of Buckshot, 15 Slugs and 100 rounds of pistol ammunition.

YOU NEED TO BRING: Clothing appropriate to the weather. Lunch, snacks and water (minimum of 1 gallon per person) for the entire day. Baseball or other style hat, sunscreen, bug repellent, allergy medication (if needed), folding chair, note taking paper/pen/pencil and a boo boo kit (band aids, gauze pads, antiseptic wipes, antibiotic ointment and tape). If you have a shelter type tent you might consider bringing it...shade is limited.

REQUIREMENTS: Shotgun (any caliber pump or semi-auto). All shotguns must be equipped with a sling and a stock. Pistol with at least two magazines, suitable belt, holster, and magazine pouches. A method of carrying extra shotgun ammo (for example: shoulder bag, ammo pouches, side saddle, or butt cuff). Ear & eye protection.

This class is limited to six students and four of the spots are taken and we decided to open up the last two spots to TGO members. This will be an intensive study in use of the shotgun for home,business, and personal defense. Looking forward to this one! Edited by Cruel Hand Luke
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

This one is getting close folks.

The shotgun is not the trench broom nor alley sweeper of internet lore. But it is a very viable self defense/home defense tool...if you learn to use it correctly.

Randy will equip you with that correct knowledge for your skill development.

Come on out and get some myths destroyed and learn some valuable information in the process.

Don't worry about not having an tacti-cool shotgun rig and accessories...at the last class I ran my plain jane 870 tactical and worked out of pockets...

Randy/Jamie, I got a new toy for us to shoot during class...CZ vz.52 in 7.62x25 Edited by Gotthegoods
  • Like 1

And I'll have my new Sig 551-2 SBR (not a 551a1 but an actual 551-2 SBR) .

I'll also be bringing a Scattergun Technologies 14" 870 , 14" Saiga, and maybe even my 12" AOW 870.... When I put on a private shotgun class I get pretty thorough..... :cool:

By the way...we still have 2 openings available if anyone else is interested.....

• Like 1
Thanks for the welcome. I look forward to this class and meeting some individuals from your area.

If anyone is on the fence, this is a golden opportunity with Randy especially considering price and a small class size. Edited by rn29306
  • Like 1

I can't wait to learn how to make this 870 sing.

[b][i]Looking forward to the shoulder-bruise-resembling-a-blueberry-patch. It wouldn't be the first time going home with validation marks from training.[/i][/b]

Nothing ice and ibuprofen won't take care of. :pleased:

Besides validation marks add character to a person. :up:

I'm looking forward to this one as well. Don't miss out folks.

I'll plan on being there around 0800. Should be dry ground...at least I hope so. Toting that steel 100 yards kinda sucks. :cool:

btw...if anyone attending has any orange clays please bring a few...a dozen or so. Got a little something cooking. :pleased:

Great Class! And as always excellent instruction by Randy. :up:

As I am "gimped up" from my recent knee surgery I didn't shoot the class, but served as Randy's range monkey...I thoroughly enjoyed that and it was interesting and educational to view the flow of the class from that perspective.

The students were very motivated and it was pretty cool to watch their progression throughout the day. By being a private instruction type class and having at least 3 of the students have taken Randy's Shotgun class last year, the format was able to be taken up a notch...several notches actually.

Mindset, focus, and safety in a 360 degree world were well covered.

Appropriate use, ammo selection, expectations of the shotgun effectiveness in various scenarios, and when and when not to bring the shotgun into play among topics I probably can’t get right off the top of my aging head. :cool:

The group progressed smoothly though:

- rapid target acquisition and engagement 

-moving off the "X" and engaging

-dominate side engagement

-non-dominate side engagement

-transition to sidearm

-shooting from Standing, Kneeling & Prone

-shooting on the move

-select slug drills

- various sighting techniques

-weapon retention and dis-arm

and some "Man on Man" competition just to add some pressure

All of the students had the opportunity to pattern their shotguns at various measured ranges with multiple shotgun loads (various manufactures shells). This allowed the students to determine which loads work best in their particular-individual weapon. Shotguns are much like women. No two are alike and they all have their likes and dislikes. :pleased:  So do shotguns! A load that works well in shotgun "A" may not pattern worth mentioning in shotgun "B". The concepts of the shotguns "A","B" and "C" zones well covered. If you aren't familiar with those concepts...come on out next class and learn! :stick:  LOL.

Gotthegoods was running an 870 that exhibited a remarkably tight group with 2 different loads...Federal Flight Control 9 pellet buck (iirc) as well as Federal H-132 "tactical" or "reduced recoil" Buckshot.

There were 2 Benelli's (sweet shotguns!) in the class and it was interesting to witness the variation in patterning between the 2.

(J.B.) one of the gentlemen running a Benelli is right handed and left eye dominant. J.B was able to run the gun on his non-dominate side with incredible smoothness and accuracy under Randy's tutelage.

rn29306 can flat out run an 870 shotgun! Very smooth, fast, and accurate! Well Done Sir. :up:

Thank you Gotthegoods for hosting Randy, yet again, my friend. :hat:

Thank you Randy for letting me muddle around while you worked LOL.

It was a great day spent and time well invested. Much obliged folks.

Edited by prag

Thanks Prag....and thanks for the help with keeping things moving. 

Small groups of motivated individuals are a pleasure to teach because you can delve deeper into some things that just get glossed over in the larger classes. Also the students get more reps of all the drills and you can see the improvement come faster. I had a great time (other than the oppressive heat) and look forward to working with you guys again! 

Wanted to give my feedback and observations...sorry for the delay, been from Kingsport to Memphis and back again this week.

All students were repeat clients having trained with Randy privately or through SI.

3 of the 5 students were health care providers.

Cheap ammo adds to the training experience. I had aluminum based shells, the first 50 with no issues, the next 25 were hanging up as the gun got hot. I did learn how to mortar a shotgun to clear it. The odd thing is last class I used Fed alum with no problems, this was Win.

With a pump shotgun, actuating your trigger finger should cause an uncontrollable urge to work the slide.

Federal's 12ga Tactical low recoil both flite and non flite control patterned amazingly from my 870 Tactical.

The flite control was slightly tighter at 15 yards than the OTC Remington Express 12ga OO at 4 yards.

Chopping down the stock for better fit and adding a limb saver recoil pad was a huge improvement over last time I trained with it.

I missed out on transition to pistol / pistol work and furthering my skills on proactive reloads, but I was napping in the shade. As Randy mentioned it got hot. I felt I had adequately pre hydrated and stayed hydrated; ended up with a blistering headache and nausea. I was drinking only water and at one point Andrew offered a drink with some electrolytes which I declined - perhaps the culprit? Got home took a shower, are dinner, felt fine...

There is no doubt that students do get immersed in the training...where else are you going to see a guy throw what looks like his new Benelli M4 on the deck during a transition drill?

Thank you to everyone for participating amd Prag for facilitating and hustling on the range.

oh, it was Sunday, so we got to pray...pretty cool since He said something about 3 or more gathering in His name...

Jesus,

Please make us an instrument of your peace;
Where there is hatred, let us sow love;
Where there is injury, pardon;
Where there is doubt, faith;
Where there is despair, hope;
Where there is darkness, light
And where there is sadness, joy!

Grant that we may not so much seek to be consoled as to console;
To be understood as to understand;
To be loved as to love.

For it is in giving that we receive;
In pardoning that we are pardoned
and in dying that we are born to eternal life!
  • Like 1