Anyone have or seen one of these 5.56 Ruger Ranch rifles lately?

I can't find a respectable practical review on the 5.56 version.  I see Whittakers is selling them them for $364.00.  I'm not looking for a 400m match rifle, just minute of coyote head at 200 with the cheapest ammo I can buy.  I see I can buy Tula .223 for 6.60 OTD.

As of maybe 5-6 years ago, most of 580 series and all later ones improved with better rear site, integrated scope mounts (Ruger style rings only), and barrel profile. Should eat everything with factory mags, mine do.

Head of coyote at 200, probably, with consistent ammo.  Mine do maybe 5-6" spread with Russian steel, out of 10 shots about half will be close, half won't be.  Never really settled in with good ammo to shoot for groups but I'm sure it'll do a lot better than that without special tweaks.

I was just settling into my Minis when I got the AR  bug, so they kind of got sidelined. Really like them though, need to give them more attention. Comes way overgassed, brass goes to next zip code. :)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

As of maybe 5-6 years ago, most of 580 series and all later ones improved with better rear site, integrated scope mounts (Ruger style rings only), and barrel profile. Should eat everything with factory mags, mine do.

Head of coyote at 200, probably, with consistent ammo.  Mine do maybe 5-6" spread with Russian steel, out of 10 shots about half will be close, half won't be.  Never really settled in with good ammo to shoot for groups but I'm sure it'll do a lot better than that without special tweaks.

I was just settling into my Minis when I got the AR  bug, so they kind of got sidelined. Really like them though, need to give them more attention. Comes way overgassed, brass goes to next zip code. :)

- OS

OS, he is referring to the new American Ranch Rifle, not the Mini 14 Ranch Rifle.  When I first started looking at them for myself, it confused me as well.

If he was talking about a Mini 14 at 200 yards, I would say only if you are ok with 5 MOA accuracy  :pleased:

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 1

OS, he is referring to the new American Ranch Rifle, not the Mini 14 Ranch Rifle.  When I first started looking at them for myself, it confused me as well.

Oopsie. I'm on dialup for a week so didn't click on link. Thnx.

- OS

If he was talking about a Mini 14 at 200 yards, I would say only if you are ok with 5 MOA accuracy  :pleased:

That was my experience with the two I had back in the 80's and early 90's.  And that was with the first several rounds.  After the barrel heated up those groups tended to get wider.  I've heard that they are much better now, but for the cost of one, I'd rather have an AK or AR.  You are basically in the same ball park in price.

I like the looks of this American Rancher, just wish they would accept AR mags.  Then it would be a handy little bolt action!  Ruger kills me using their proprietary magazines.  They are good magazines, but they are damned expensive!!!

KKing, I simply live to serve.....

I do have this nagging thought that I may have acted in haste some years ago unloading my AKs, SKSs, ARs, etc., etc.   But now that I have a 7,62x39 bolt gun that is geared towards the cheap ammo I have again reconsidered fun shooting married to SHTF practical guns.  Seems to me that between my Chinese 870 clone (Hawk) 12 ga pump shotgun, the Savage AK ammo rifle and then with a .223/5.56 bolt I would have fun and SHTF covered for the last decade or two of my life.  

If I had any sense this is the route I would go:   http://www.jgsales.com/zastava-c-743.html

I actually own one and have for probably 6mo or so.  I bought it as a beater truck gun and it has surpassed my expectations.  I put a PA 4-14x FFP scope on it and can get hits out to 600yds on a 12" plate using my handloads.  Shooting groups at 100yds, I regularly get sub 1" groups using handloads with 60gr vmax bullets.  It also shoots 55gr FMJs really well but groups open up a little over an inch.  My 75gr handloads were all over the place though. 

I really like the rifle.  The trigger breaks clean and consistent at 3.5 lbs from the factory.  The bolt is smooth and the gun is super lightweight.  Threading is concentric and it makes a great little suppressor host.  Finish is nice and fairly robust from what I can tell.  I definitely don't baby it and I've yet to scratch the finish. 

For the price, it's tough to beat IMO.  I intend to add the 300blk version pretty soon. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

That was my experience with the two I had back in the 80's and early 90's.  And that was with the first several rounds.  After the barrel heated up those groups tended to get wider.  I've heard that they are much better now, but for the cost of one, I'd rather have an AK or AR.  You are basically in the same ball park in price.

I like the looks of this American Rancher, just wish they would accept AR mags.  Then it would be a handy little bolt action!  Ruger kills me using their proprietary magazines.  They are good magazines, but they are damned expensive!!!

I like my mini 14 6.8 but it's impossible to find magazines for it.

I like my mini 14 6.8 but it's impossible to find magazines for it.

Here I bitch about proprietary magazines and I buy a Savage 10P. Try find cheap mags for one of these bolt guns! A Savage 4 round mag cost $40 and a 10 round mag costs $90 to $110!!! Edited by Moped