My "SPR" on a budget

I suppose all of my builds should have "on a budget" in the title, oh well. I've wanted to build one of these for quite some time. I have had the receivers built for a good while and couldn't decide on a barrel. Finally settled on the Green Mountain 18" rifle gas, 223 wylde chamber, 1 in 8 twist stainless bead blasted. I feel like it will give me all the accuracy I can handle and it was a great deal as well. I'll be trying some 69gr ammo next weekend and walk it out to 300 yards and depending on how that goes I may try some 77gr. I really like the magpul fixed stock so far, it really balances out this gun well. I also have to admit that this gun has the first NiB BCG in it that I've owned, and I really, really like it. I can see it being darn easy to clean. The scope is the Bushnell 4.5-18 that a lot of us on here got on sale back on Black Friday. I don't have any allusion that this gun (nor me for that matter) will shoot a 6" group at 1,000 yards, but as I said I believe it will do all I want it to at around 300 yards.
F3A3DE84-D869-4E7D-A285-5C64553812D5_zps
D5C1E261-DDEE-494E-8E9E-D856C368A320_zps

• Like 1

My SPR type build is going to be a bit behind you in the pipeline.  Once I got that scope we all went crazy for, it was a matter of setting aside some money here and there for it.

I'm working on getting the right rail for it now.  My barrel is only 16", but since I'm like you and only want to reach out to 300 yds or so, I'm fine with that.  I also need to flip a coin and decide if I want a standard collapsible stock, or to put an A2 stock on there, and decide on what muzzle brake/compensator I want.  Finally, I'm deciding if I want an adjustable gas block or not.

Decisions, decisions...all good ones to have to make I suppose. :D

Look great! I have one built pretty similar; 1/8 twist 5R rifling, 223 wylde chamber, 20" though. Other than that and going with a different hand guard we got the same stock, nib BCG scope and I believe mount. I've got a different bipod adapter too :p .

I like mine a lot so I'm guessing yours will be great too lol.

My SPR type build is going to be a bit behind you in the pipeline. Once I got that scope we all went crazy for, it was a matter of setting aside some money here and there for it.

I'm working on getting the right rail for it now. My barrel is only 16", but since I'm like you and only want to reach out to 300 yds or so, I'm fine with that. I also need to flip a coin and decide if I want a standard collapsible stock, or to put an A2 stock on there, and decide on what muzzle brake/compensator I want. Finally, I'm deciding if I want an adjustable gas block or not.

Decisions, decisions...all good ones to have to make I suppose. :D

Absolutely good decisions to have to make. This is the first gun I've built in a good long while that doesn't have an adjustable gas block on it, only because it's rifle gas and how supposedly soft shooting it is. That muzzle brake is the Precision Armament M4-72, it scored the best numbers in the tests that thetruthaboutguns did so I look forward to this being a very soft shooter. If you don't want a suppressor mount, I'd highly recommend the surefire Procomp model. It's the same brake as their Socom, just without being a suppressor mount. I'm like you and went back and forth on fixed vs collapsible stock but I'm glad I went this direction, it sure feels "right".

Good looking rifle! Need a babysitter for it?

Maybe sometime! I have found that the heavier grain rounds are a good bit more expensive than what I'm used to, I'm actually looking into reloading at this point, I've needed to for years.

Very nice looking rifle!

Thanks buddy!

Look great! I have one built pretty similar; 1/8 twist 5R rifling, 223 wylde chamber, 20" though. Other than that and going with a different hand guard we got the same stock, nib BCG scope and I believe mount. I've got a different bipod adapter too :p .

I like mine a lot so I'm guessing yours will be great too lol.

Haha that's reassuring, I'm looking forward to pulling the trigger this weekend just to test function.