Where to buy Savage action?

samson7x

Yeah, Walmart.

Go buy the gun for the receiver then disassemble the gun and sell all the take off parts. I picked up a short action left handed action for $350 from Walmart. I sold the left handed stock for $200 because you cannot find them. The barrel sold for $125. So I have less than $50 in my left handed Accutrigger action.

You can find the models with scopes for $384 and do the same except add $50 when you sell the scope with rings.

Yeah, Walmart.

Go buy the gun for the receiver then disassemble the gun and sell all the take off parts. I picked up a short action left handed action for $350 from Walmart. I sold the left handed stock for $200 because you cannot find them. The barrel sold for $125. So I have less than $50 in my left handed Accutrigger action.

You can find the models with scopes for $384 and do the same except add $50 when you sell the scope with rings.

No kidding, eh.  I've only seen AXIS models at Walmart.  Guess I'll keep checking back or order one (if they still do that.)

They sell ALL Savage models. The one I parted out was a model 11 in 243. It was the first left handed short action I had seen in 5+ years so I snatched it up. It was on sale for $350 because it hadn't sold in the 3 years it was in the store. I told the clerk I had never seen it and she looked at its history. Turns out it had never been taken out of the store safe until the day I bought it. Left handed short actions were selling for more than what I paid. I have seen model 10FPs as well as all of the standard models.

I would NEVER buy an Axis/Edge. Not because they are bad but because there is not a lot of aftermarket support for them.

Interesting.  That's a heck of a deal you got.

Yes, I'm not interested in an Axis either.  Lack of aftermarket and no accutrigger kills it for me.

I'll check the Walmart close to my work and see if they have any in stock.  I've got a 308 barrel begging to be built into a semi-long range rig.

Check out pawn shops for older Stevens 200s & Savage 110s too.

What're you wanting to build?

I've got an 18" threaded 308 barrel.  Want to build a general purpose hunting/target shooting rig.  I've got a 600 yd range set up so that's the furthest shot It'll see.

I routinely see Savage long actions at pawn shops for ~$300. And while cheaper than new I prefer to buy new because it is easier to sell new parts than used.

Another reason I buy new is in ~2006 there was a restructuring of Savage and the older guns are no longer supported so finding parts can be problematic. Also, the quality of the older guns were not as good as the modern ones.

If a Savage has an Accutrigger it is a new version. If the Savage has a flat area at the back of the receiver it is an older action. Also be aware short actions can have either a 4.27" bolt spacing or 4.40" bolt spacing. The 4.27" is an older, but decent action, while the 4.40" is the post 2006 action.

All long actions, regardless of when they were made, have the same bolt spacing.

If you have any Savage questions feel free to ask. I can give you my number to call and discuss if you want.

• Like 1

I routinely see Savage long actions at pawn shops for ~$300. And while cheaper than new I prefer to buy new because it is easier to sell new parts than used.

Another reason I buy new is in ~2006 there was a restructuring of Savage and the older guns are no longer supported so finding parts can be problematic. Also, the quality of the older guns were not as good as the modern ones.

If a Savage has an Accutrigger it is a new version. If the Savage has a flat area at the back of the receiver it is an older action. Also be aware short actions can have either a 4.27" bolt spacing or 4.40" bolt spacing. The 4.27" is an older, but decent action, while the 4.40" is the post 2006 action.

All long actions, regardless of when they were made, have the same bolt spacing.

If you have any Savage questions feel free to ask. I can give you my number to call and discuss if you want.

Does top or bottom bolt release give you any indication of production year?

Top can be from pretty much any year while bottom is late production. You want the top release becuase there is not a lot of support for the bottom release. Also, the bottom release tends to be the Accustock which uses a funky recoil lug that is not supported too much either. And if you end up with an Accustock gun NEVER remove it from the stock. They do some sort of witch doctor voodoo to make the shoot great but once you loosen the bolts the accuracy goes to hell unless you are a voodoo witch doctor.

One of the best ways to tell the modern version is they have a cocking indicator in the back of the bolt.

The BEST action to use to hild off of is the Stevens 200. It does not have the fluff and buff of the other versions so it is "as machined" and tends to be a lot better mechanically even if they are not visually as good. The Stevens 200 is identical to any Savage 10/110 and take any Savage part.
  • Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...