best of tennessee

Guest capebuff

Guest capebuff
i'm retired and will be moving to tenn with my obviously retired father ( he prefers oldtimer :) when we get our properties sold. next spring. right now i'm looking for property that will fit our hunting and fishing needs. i'll buy land to do the majority of hunting on. can anyone suggest an area to concentrate on for deer and turkey. maybe an opportunity for a yearly boar nearby. generally i only put a bear in the freezer every 2 or 3 years,enjoy just seeing bears but they do make great sausage. nearby trout fishing and hopefully with as many different species of fish possible. we both love to fish for different species. without being there it's gamble without some local knowledge. especially for fishing it's imperative to find bank or shore access. been too many places where public access means a boat dock with a 10 foot pier stretching into the lake. i might add on the pier theres usually no room until someone falls off or leaves due to boredom trying to catch fish that are all gone. a big order to fill these needs but am trying to make the 1st move the last. moving is always costly. not asking for any personal secret spots just a push in the right direction. if u may not want to put that info out on public display , i'd appreciate a pm. eastern third of the state would be best for us to be close grandchildren. thanks for any help !
Hard to go wrong in the eastern third of Tennessee. The hunting is better in the middle, but for all around happiness, East Tennessee is high up in my list.

I'd suggest you start with a realtor that specializes in hunting properties. Usually they can help you narrow down your region based on how much you want to spend and how near you want to be to a city.
Guest capebuff
thanks whiskey for your reply. thanks also to those who have taken the time to pm me. as far as cities and airports go i don't have a problem with a 2 or 3 hour drive. after i thought about it a bit, prolly a good measure to meet our basic needs for living would be to be within a 15 to 20 mile drive to a wally world. generally it appears where wallys are located there is medcal care and emergency facilities also. i'm sure it's worth it to drive a couple of hundred miles for a titans or voluteers game. wouldn't hurt to drive that far for a visit to a museum or excellent live music to get a little culture. i'm open to all of tennessee. want to make sure it's a place where southern hospitality shines ! after traveling heavy my entire life the folks in the south live up to their fine reputation. hunting i truly want an area where i can buy a 100-200 acres and hopefully we can do all our hunting there. i'm sure i won't be buying a place where lake or river front fishing can be had out my backdoor. any tidbits y'all can inform me of is greatly appreciated.
Guest capebuff

i'd also like to ask if there are any magazines or books y'all could recommend ?

in my personal huntin' and fishin' library i didn't have a tenn or ky atlas or gazeteer so i ordered those along with a few other books. i have subscribed to the tenn hunting and fishing magazine. wanna look up and see if tenn has a hunting and fishing news mag. i think that company went under.  too bad if it did as those mags carried local maps,access and info directed at each state or region published.

Off the top of my head I would suggest the area around exit 268 on I-40 (Hwy 96.) You will be right close to the Caney Fork River and Center Hill lake which well give you good fishing for about any species Tn had to offer. I think about three counties come together there, if you want to deer hunt you want to be in Unit L, I believe one or two of those counties are in L, there are tons of deer in the area. A bear sighting there wouldn't be unheard of but there are no bear hunting opportunities in that part of the state. You will be about an hour and 15 minutes to Nashville and 2 hours or so to Knoxville. Closest Wal-Mart is Carthage I believe which is about ten miles. This area has some of the cheapest land I've seen in the state. Feel free to pm me with specific questions, I've lived, fished, and hunted all over this state.
  • Like 1

Sounds like a wonderful place you're going to buy. I don't know if you'll find all that criteria on one farm, but I'd suggest you start looking around Crossville.

Clarksville has wonderful opportunities, and with Land Between the Lakes right down the road with 2 big lakes and 1000's of acres of hunting, it is truly a sportsman's paradise. Middle Tennessee also puts you closer to Old Hickory, Percy Priest, and Ft. Campbell for some truly trophy whitetail. All we have in Crossville is retired yankees.

• Like 1
Clarksville is where I live and probably always will. I've lived from Southern Alaska to southern Florida and lots of places in between. Clarksville area is hard to beat. As stated, LBL and Ft Campbell offer great public hunting and fishing opportunities. Also, I'm close to Big South Fork for real wilderness. Nashville is close enough for to fly anywhere else.
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest capebuff
i'd like to thank all of u for your help and those of you who have offered extended help if needed later. i certainly have much more info to make an informed move. wanted to share some pics i got with my game cam here at my place of unusual critters, but so far i haven't figured out how to post pics. i'll keep looking. i enjoy other posters pics and i think it's a great way of saying thank you.
Guest capebuff
my toolbar isn't showing up when i make replies. i may have to make a certain amount of posts before i'm allowed to post pics. i'll keep looking. could be a setting somewhere i haven't located.