Question about Military Hangun Certifications

I am an Active duty soldier getting ready to come off of AD and move back to Nashville. I want to get my CCP, but I've run into a kind of gray area. I know the TN states that for military I have to have the 4 hours of instruction as per regulation, but how do I prove that to the state? We were not issued certificates saying we passed PMI, just scorecards after the range.

So will my scorecard work for proof or do I need something else?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most just get the Company Clerk to type up on letterhead that you have met

the requirements for qualification with a handgun. Have it state the hours of training

and what you shot, Expert, Sharpshooter etc etc. Then have the CO sign it and attach your scorecard and you should be good to go.

I don't think you have to take any of the class.

39-17-1351(e)

The department shall also require an applicant to submit proof of the successful completion of a department approved handgun safety course. The course shall include both classroom hours and firing range hours. An applicant shall not be required to comply with the firing range and classroom hours requirements of this subsection (e) if the applicant submits proof to the department that within five (5) years from the date the application for a handgun carry permit is filed the applicant has:

(4)
Successfully completed all handgun training of not less than four (4) hours as required by any branch of the military.

...and agree with Junglist as far as the reason.

Yeah, there's no class or range requirement for qualified military personnel. Depending on where you file your paperwork, some clerks may not know this.

I can second both of these.

When I went in for my HCP, I took not only my DD214 (indicating that I received the Navy Pistol Marksmanship ribbon), but also a print-out of the pertinent Tennessee State Code indicating that I did not have to take a class or do range time due to the military training. The lady behind the desk started to object when she saw the DD214, then read the code, cautioned me that Nashville might not know about this clause (yeah, that gave me a warm fuzzy), and went ahead and filed it.

As always, just bring along all the supporting documentation with you, and you will be golden.