Cleaning Guns

RDL

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest gcrookston
I never fully strip and clean a handgun. Just spray it out with Gun Scrubber synthetic safe spray. I have found no reason to fully strip them.

Heck, I rarely field strip them. Bore snake, oil and grease, field strip every 500 rounds or so. Detail strip? Not unless there is a problem.

I have to disagree, it depends on the gun on some of my 1911's I can measure the difference in trigger pull before & after a good strip & clean - yes that spray might get most of the crud out but it would be hard to get the right amount of oil / grease back in all the spots where it belongs on certain guns.

Have I ever used that spray - absolutely when I was too busy or lazy to break it down.

I have never owned a glock from what friends I shoot with tell me they will run dirty - some guns won't.

maybe I just like to be sure all the little bits are still in there, but I feel much better knowing its spotless in all the nooks & crannies.

I've always field stripped everything I've ever owned after shooting, handgun or rifle or shottie...just started that way as a kid, and just can't seem to let a dirty gun sit around.

On the other hand, I've never detail stripped a gun in my life.

- OS

I was just wondering. I field strip and clean my guns after every trip to the range. How often should you full detail strip and clean your guns. Or should they go back to the factory for that.

Field stripping after each time a gun is fired is good.

Detail strip and clean is good when ever you feel the need. For me most times around 1000 rounds. This allows me to see how things are wearing and may even warn you of an up coming problem such as cracks or improper fitting on parts. Plus allows you to know your gun better.

So I see no harm in getting Intimate with your gun.

Plus if you ever decide to sell your beloved gun the next owner will see how much you cared for her.

Kinda like buying a used car. You can tell what cars have been washed and waxed VS. one that was only washed when it rained. (by the rain)

Just remember “cleaning” is not always Scrubbing till your fingers turn red.

As a retired Marine, 30 years Active Duty, I am not comfortable in depending on any weapon I haven't at least field stripped and inspected. I detail strip and inspect all of my weapons at least once a year. I am aware that a lot of people on this forum are not real familiar with weapons and too much working on the gun may be unwise. I do think that some time with the manuals and/or a good dvd or two would make them more confident with their piece.

I field strip,thoroughly clean, inspect and lube my seasonal EDC after every range session (weekly). As every gun I own gets shot at least once a quarter, that means they each get "checked out" every three months at least.

I bought a Maverick 88 the other day for house duty and my next purchase within the hour was the AGI Armorer's DVD (Mossberg 500) from Midway,USA on the internet. I also downloaded the Maverick 88 manual from Mossberg within that hour.

I just don't feel comfortable putting my finger on the trigger of a firearm I haven't personaly checked out and know how it works. USMC was very thorough in drilling the "care of your piece" into our little green heads! I guess so much so that it became part of my way of life.

Guest gcrookston
As a retired Marine, 30 years Active Duty, I am not comfortable in depending on any weapon I haven't at least field stripped and inspected. I detail strip and inspect all of my weapons at least once a year. ...quote]

I read an article about 10 years ago that stated the Marine Corps had more weapons out of service due to maintenance/service regimens than they had due to firing...

I am not a proponent to detail stripping unless the weapon is malfunctioning. I believe more wear and tear occurs to a gun and it's parts by cleaning/disassembling/reassembling than by actual use.

To this extent, I only unbed my M1a NM once every thousand rounds. This is not to say that I don't address the bores and lubrication issues of my weapons. I do. I just don't take them apart as frequently as some would and try to keep my disassembling to a very minimum.

I've always field stripped everything I've ever owned after shooting, handgun or rifle or shottie...just started that way as a kid, and just can't seem to let a dirty gun sit around.

On the other hand, I've never detail stripped a gun in my life.

- OS

Same here, I have always cleaned my guns after I have shot them. The only ones I do a complete strip is my shotguns as they are easier and faster to completely strip and put back together, not that I don't know how to on my other guns.

Guest Astra900

I'm bad about not cleaning my .22lr's for a thousand or so rounds at a time. I've never seen any detriment to accuracy or function, so:rolleyes:

I also let my AK go for several hundred before cleaning out the gas system. Like that will ever effect an AK.

Like others, I field strip and clean/lube after every range session except for my .22 TC rifle. I detail strip and clean rarely. I do the same for my carry piece (USP 40 compact) every couple of months or so to clean out the dust bunnies and lint :lol:.

I do have a cleaning question though. I have always cleaned barrels in the following manner.

1. Field strip to remove barrel from from slide & frame if possible.

2. I used to use spray bore cleaner but now use the CLP Foaming Bore Cleaner to fill barrel with foam and let it soak for 5 minutes or so.

3. Run a a brass brush through the barrel by entering through the breach and exiting completely out the muzzle, then back out the breach so as not to change directions in the barrel. I repeat this several times.

4. Then I apply CLP to patches and run them through several times followed by dry patches until clean.

I recently read in a Bushmaster manual that the cleaning rod should only be entered through the muzzle without the brush, then the brass brush should be screwed on the rod after it exits the breach and pulled through in the normal direction of a bullet only. Anyone ever heard of this before?