Bicycle mechanics/riders I have a technical question

I've neen riding since I was 21 as far as long distance bikes are concerned. I'm now in my 40's and I bought an upright style bike. But I am wanting to make my older Trek from 1995 more upright also .

Have any of you riders ever took a road race bike and added an extended stem post to make the handlebars more higher ? If so what kind did you get and what were the results ? This is the bike I'm gonna do this on . A 20 year old Trek in mint condition .

[url=http://s768.photobucket.com/user/tercel89/media/trek_zpsqeakkvtj.jpg.html]trek_zpsqeakkvtj.jpg[/URL]

Edited by tercel89
You're gonna need a 1" to 1-1/8" thread less adapter. Your stem is a threaded stem and the head tube is 1". Nothing is made in 1" anymore.

Then get a threadless stem at whatever upright angle is suitable.

Are you looking to still ride it in a traditionally road bake stance, just less aggressive? Edited by Lumber_Jack
If I understand correctly this is the bike that you used to ride years ago, correct? If so, were you riding with the saddle in its current location as shown in the photo? If so, that frame size may be too large for you since that's not normal to have to run the saddle that low.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

If I understand correctly this is the bike that you used to ride years ago, correct? If so, were you riding with the saddle in its current location as shown in the photo? If so, that frame size may be too large for you since that's not normal to have to run the saddle that low.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

I have the seat that way from when i was letting my son ride it. I'm trying to keep it as stock as possible but just tryng to make it more upright. I know I am going to still be leaning forward but I want to do it as less as possible.

I have the seat that way from when i was letting my son ride it. I'm trying to keep it as stock as possible but just tryng to make it more upright. I know I am going to still be leaning forward but I want to do it as less as possible.

I think if you got the threadless stem adapter and put a high angle stem on there you'd be surprised how much higher the bars are
  • Like 1

I think if you got the threadless stem adapter and put a high angle stem on there you'd be surprised how much higher the bars are

I agree with Lumber. I'd try the adapter with with the right angle stem before buying an extension.

I added a Ritchey Comp 30 deg stem, 90 mm length several years ago and it made a big difference IMO.

So in my case I raised the angle and put a shorter length on to get a more upright ride. That particular stem came in a 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, 110, 120 mm length. Edited by Trekbike

^^ yup.  shorter stem - sounds like you might want to try a stem with an adjustable rise.  If you want to lighten the bike after that, you could always purchase a fixed stem to match where you set the adjustable one.  If your frame is sized to you, that should do the trick.  ... along with that go back and have someone help you re-check the bike fit to you - and adjust as necessary.   

ala... http://www.bikefit.com/s-13-road-bikes.aspx   if nothing else, handlebar width and height (are you buying new bars), seat height, seat fore/aft position can make a huge difference in comfort for you.  

oh.... most importantly!!!  - buy a seat fitted to you!  (measure your sit bones ... you can use a friend (a real good one), or just sit in hard chair with a soft cover on it - using saran wrap can help preserve the indentations - when you get up, immediately turn around and measure center-center of the indentations.  carry this number in "mm" with you to a bike shop and purchase a good medium-firm seat (no soft seats!).   If you do this, numbness and "damage" to the important parts of you can be a thing of the past.

** all of this together can make riding in the prone position as comfortable (or almost) as riding upright.    Good luck!

Edited by Peace

Hey thanks guys ! I'm going the adapter and probably a 40 degree stem/riser. I'm just trying to keep it as original as possible.

This bike belonged to a friend of mine named Aron.  Aron , my brother and me were like the three stoodges growing up . He had a heart attack at only 31 years old and passed away back in 2006. His mom gave my brother and me his bike which is the one I am talking about. So thats why I'm trying to keep it as stock as possible. But I'm sure he would not want me hurting my back LOL. The only other thing I changed was the clipless pedals. Now that I am older I want to jump on and ride with whatever shoes I am wearing. I don't use Clipless Pedals anymore. So my brother and me put them in storage and put on some regular ones.

thanks for all the help. I have been out of the bike world for a while and didn't realize at all the changes that have been made to newer style bikes. I bought a new Giant Escape Zero 2 years ago and it's a more upright type road bike not as race oriented as the Trek.

Later I may swap out the rear cassette for a lower pack of gears for easier hill climbs and city riding.

Thanks again guys !

The only other thing I changed was the clipless pedals. Now that I am older I want to jump on and ride with whatever shoes I am wearing. I don't use Clipless Pedals anymore. So my brother and me put them in storage and put on some regular ones.

Regarding the removal of the clipless pedals, you might not be aware of this style which allows you to have the best of both worlds.    Regular pedals when you want them, and clipless SPD's on the other side.   I have them on my "dink around/greenway bike", a Giant Roam 2 and like them.      

http://www.jensonusa.com/!aA09ZwheTaPEaXM5HxwobA!/Shimano-PD-A530-Pedals

• Like 1