Caldo de Res

KahrMan

Caldo de Res is basically a Mexican beef soup and it is delicious.  

There are a ton of Mexican restaurants around but very few that do real, authentic mexican food.  In my opinion, one of the best is Fogatas.  They are located by Lowes at the corner of Old Hickory Blvd. and Nolensville Pike in Nashville.

I always thought it was just like every other Mexican restaurant until a friend told me that all his non english speaking Hispanic friends ate there.  I tried it out and it is not like your typical Mexican restaurant. The manager is very friendly and sat with me the first time I ate there. He sources his food from Mexico, not Sysco.  Everything is hand made, nothing prepackaged.  He uses a white corn that he has grown in Mexico to make his fresh corn tortillas.

They have a very extensive menu plus daily specials.  They also have a fruit bar where they make their own fruit waters and fruit "shakes"(they do not use ice cream).  

Back to Caldo de Res.  It is only offered on Friday, Saturday and Sunday(if they do not run out).  It is a flavorful broth with beef on the bone, ear of corn, potatoes, carrots, green beans and cabbage.  They also bring you a bowl with raw chopped onion, jalapeño and cilantro.  Add as much of that as you want and the hot broth softens the onion and jalapeño,  Squeeze some lime over it and your are ready for some fantastic soup.

[URL=http://s196.photobucket.com/user/kahrman/media/6F9A13DB-4876-48B3-9383-527A6C15C8FB_zps6twgexlg.jpg.html]6F9A13DB-4876-48B3-9383-527A6C15C8FB_zps[/URL]

Edited by KahrMan
  • Like 1

That looks awesome.  I'd have to give the corn to the woman, not for me, but the rest looks great!

I'm not sure how 'Authentic' it is but I have serious love for Chili Colorado...when done right.  It's simple but it's amazing how many places cannot get it right.

Thanks Kharman, me and the woman eat a LOT of mexican food.  This is now on my "To Do " list.  

Looks great! The only thing I miss about LA are the tacorias and getting myself a big container of menudo on Sunday morning to combat Saturday nights festivities. Basically I think it's the same soup with tripe instead of or in addition to the beef. You might ask if they have it next time you go back.

Looks great! The only thing I miss about LA are the tacorias and getting myself a big container of menudo on Sunday morning to combat Saturday nights festivities. Basically I think it's the same soup with tripe instead of or in addition to the beef. You might ask if they have it next time you go back.

Uhhh, I would NEVER have admitted that one in public brother......NEVER.

Menudo-Refrescante-Portugues-1986.jpg

Edited by Caster
  • Like 3

LOL! I asked my buddy Javier once what the deal was with menudo the soup and menudo the band and how to tell the two apart. He looked at me like I was retarded so I waived it off as a cultural difference and moved on with life. My other buddy Modesto can list every Mexican inventor and what they invented and how it changed the world. He always seems to leave boy bands off the list for some reason.....

we really havent been to Nasville that often, and have only eaten in one Mexican restraunt, besides that one we have eaten in plenty of them here in Clarksville, and so far we have not found one that is all that great. Now my wife will even admit that my Mom was a great cook, she grew up in what is now a ghost town in New Mexico it was north west of Albuerque, now being that my wife admits my mom was a great cook, I have to say that she tought my wife well even when she thought she was keeping everything a secret. She (my wife) can make some great beens, chicken enchiladas, and of course Tamales that are seasonal, and I cut all of the pork for what is called carney adobado, it is fine strips and chuncks of pork but roast marinaded in a red chile sauce, the sauce is made from New Mexico chile pods that are boiled then ground into a liquid then has a lot of garlic added along with some chile de arbol all finely ground up in to a liquid then added to the pork and let set overnight then slow roasted till done. If I had my way I would and could eat that year round. But anyway didnt mean to but in carry on

:)

we really havent been to Nasville that often, and have only eaten in one Mexican restraunt, besides that one we have eaten in plenty of them here in Clarksville, and so far we have not found one that is all that great. Now my wife will even admit that my Mom was a great cook, she grew up in what is now a ghost town in New Mexico it was north west of Albuerque, now being that my wife admits my mom was a great cook, I have to say that she tought my wife well even when she thought she was keeping everything a secret. She (my wife) can make some great beens, chicken enchiladas, and of course Tamales that are seasonal, and I cut all of the pork for what is called carney adobado, it is fine strips and chuncks of pork but roast marinaded in a red chile sauce, the sauce is made from New Mexico chile pods that are boiled then ground into a liquid then has a lot of garlic added along with some chile de arbol all finely ground up in to a liquid then added to the pork and let set overnight then slow roasted till done. If I had my way I would and could eat that year round. But anyway didnt mean to but in carry on

:)

Damn, thats sounds really good.  

they are, we gavt the guy who lets hunt on his land a dozen this past season and the season before and they loved them, we also gave a couple dozen to our chiropracter in town some everyone loved them, I invited Dave S to come by and do a tast test and to take some home with him but he didnt make it, and that was ok, it left more for me. :):)