Opinons on EDC (M&P vs. XDM)

Guest boutwell

Guest boutwell

I was finally able to get scheduled for and complete the THP class so I am now trying to decide on my EDC. I have been using a full size M&P 22LR with the intent of moving to the full size 9mm (perhaps the 9c) for my EDC but have since discovered the Springfield XDM 3.8" and really like it as well.

They are close enough in price that that won't make a difference in my decision, but I wanted to get some thoughts from people who may have used both makes in the past before moving forward. They both feel good and shoot comparably for me, so I guess my question is one of quality and service. I like that the M&P is American made as well.

Sorry to litter up the forums with another "vs" post but since we all seem to like them anyway, please let me know what you think.

I would go M&P out of those. If you want capacity I'd go with the full size. If you want light carry I would go with the shield. I once owned a 9C and while it was a fine gun I just didn't really take to it. Also APEX makes some fine trigger kits for them.

I however carry a Glock 19 and love it.

• Like 2
Of the two you mentioned the M&P, but if you want other suggestions then in no particular order. M&P Shield, SA XDs9, Ruger SR9c 9mmP or a Glock 19 or 26. Try them all and any others out and get what suits you the most. My bet is you end up with a compact 9mmP and a pocket size .380 ACP.

Of the two you mentioned the M&P, but if you want other suggestions then in no particular order. M&P Shield, SA XDs9, Ruger SR9c 9mmP or a Glock 19 or 26. Try them all and any others out and get what suits you the most. My bet is you end up with a compact 9mmP and a pocket size .380 ACP.

I'm headed this way, along with a fullsize 9 to sit opposite my 1911

• Administrator

Pick the one you shoot the most accurately while shooting quickly at typical self defense range. 

^^^ This is my advice off the cuff.

I can tell you that I have owned both of the platforms you are interested in and that my preference (emphasis there) between the two of them is the M&P.  Springfield is difficult to deal with on spare parts and I had a few annoying little problems with my XD Tactical and my XD-M that made me finally move away from them.

That said, my wife prefers the ergos of the XD over the M&P so there you go.  We have a house divided.

But she loves my H&K VP9 which means I'm likely about to buy another of those.

• Like 1

Pick the one you shoot the most accurately while shooting quickly at typical self defense range. 

+1 on this.

I can say that I have an XDs for EDC because of the compact size and with my typical office attire it conceals well. (The Shield I'm sure would conceal just as well) That and it just "felt right" the first time I picked it up, and the results of that showed on paper. Like David, my wife likes the ergo of the XDm 4" I keep around the house.

A second factor for me, and I know this will encourage ridicule, is the grip safety. And not for me, trigger control is all the safety I need..... but I have two boys (little guys) in my house, and kids are curious. The grip safety is an added piece for me when they are concerned, if somehow... someway they ever do get access to one of my pistols.... It's an extra step for little hands. A lot of people will say I'm retarded, etc.... but I don't care. Every step between my kids and an accident, the better. And everyone complains about grip safety, but it never fails to go bang with me...

That said.... I REALLY like the M&P guns. Ergo is AWESOME, and I shoot like a champ with them. They're also usually endorsed as a reliable, well built weapon even by all the usual internet loud-mouths out there that cry over anything but Glock.

Do yourself a favor, go to some place like Nashville armory where you can rent each and spend some time proving what works best for you on paper.

Edited by SupaRice

I say the M&P . Like TGO David said above , spare parts for the XD pistols can be VERY hard to get.

With the M&P's you have easy access to parts , and all other things. The main two  reasons I like the M&P over the XD is availability of spare parts and that the M&P doesnt have the darn grip-safety. When or if your grip is ever bad , you wont be able to fire the XD but the M&P will shot anyway you hold it .

I say get the M&P :up:

Edited by tercel89
Well someone has to be different, I'm a Springfield man all the way. I have the XD9, XDM9 & XDS9 and love them all. I will say the shield is a sweet shooter but I can do better with my XDs when it come to CC.. And bottom line is Always what you can shoot best.

I like that the M&P is American made as well.

That coupled with the results you see here should be enough. biggrin.gif
I love Springfield’s; XD’s aren’t Springfield’s. They are made by HS Produkt in Croatia. Springfield is merely the importer and their name is on them because the Feds require it. Edited by DaveTN
The chance of you needing a firearm is rare. The chances of you needing more than 7 rounds are even more rare. With that said, I would make sure that I get a carry gun that you will carry. Personally, I find that I like my M&P Shield a lot; more than any Glock. I did the XD thing one time and even tried it again with a XDS. I am Glock or M&P Shield all the way. Edited by Patton
When the XDM released, I wanted to love it, till I got it in my hand. It just didn't feel right. I had the same problem with the full size M&P. Not even a backstrap change made it comfortable. IMHO the shield is the best of the bunch, but it almost feels too thin and I don't like the trigger.

If you're not dead set on Springfield or S&W, I would recommend checking out the Ruger LC9S. It's the same ergo of the LC9, but without the 400lb horrible trigger. It surprised me.