"It's not how you start..."

hipower

Ok, just sitting around the house being lazy today and thinking about some things.

As usual, it involves sitting here on the keyboard looking at different forum and news items. 

And for the life of me, I really can't remember this morning where I first saw this quote..."It's not how you start...it's how you finish." 

Damn. That really hit me hard today. Think about that. There is so much in that line that it poses thousands of questions and comments for me. 

I sent about an hour searching it out and reading about it.

Seems that it's mostly attributed to Carlos Zambrano, the MLB pitcher for the Chicago Cubs and the Marlins. Read about him and some of his activites and comments.

Many of them are good, but this one really hit home.

The partial quote is from a comment he made during one of his pitching career interviews. The full quote is this..."It's not how you start, it's how you finish. We have to move on. I have 30 more starts. This doesn't bother me."

I know it relates to his career and the ups and downs of his time on the mound. But it just stood out. Boldly.

"It's not how you start, it's how you finish." Such power in that line.

It is an awesome truth.

It's also a motivational line that just screams out at me today.

As I said, I've been sitting around here thinking today, sort of taking stock of my life and blessings.

I turned 63 today. Not looking for words of congratulations.

It's just another day. An event like any other.

But I saw that line and just froze up. "It's not how you start...It's how you finish." Yes, I've modified the quote to add a little more emphasis.

I'm going to attempt to keep that in my mind. I think it's one of the most inspirational lines from the mouth of a human being I've ever read.

"I's not how you start...It's how you finish."

I'm going to try to live with that in mind every day going forth.

Sorry for the length, I'm just in that mood.

Edited by hipower
  • Like 10

Happy Birthday

I used the large font so you can read it better.  :D

Seriously though, CBS Sunday Morning had a good piece this week on people doing great things later in life. Colonel Sanders was 65 when he started KFC. You're just getting started at 63.

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 1
  • Authorized Vendor

I can remember my High School Senior  graduation like it was yesterday. When the Class began looking for that special slogan to attribute to what we had accomplished everyone racked their brains trying to come up with that special one. Folks were throwing out all kinds of things and I just sat and listened. I mean my graduating class had 29 seniors in it. Small town, small school and I was an outsider since I joined that class in the last year of my education in mid term.  Finally the Home room teacher got everyone calmed down from the roar. She looked at me and said you have not said anything since we began discussion this. She then ask me if I had any thoughts about it. I sat there with 28 other students staring at me and I said, " each day I wake up my faith in that day makes my tomorrow beautiful." Everyone sat there staring at me like I sprouted 2 heads all at once. The Teacher went to the chalk board and wrote,  Our Faith in today makes our Tomorrows Beautiful. She asked anyone else if they had another one  to add as she was going to make a list. For a week there was nothing else added so our slogan was "Our Faith in Today Makes Our Tomorrows Beautiful." That is how I felt back then and most days when I wake up I still feel that same way 50 years later................jmho

• Like 1

Happy Birthday

I used the large font so you can read it better.  :D

Seriously though, CBS Sunday Morning had a good piece this week on people doing great things later in life. Colonel Sanders was 65 when he started KFC. You're just getting started at 63.

Yep...It helped. I can see that. Now can we get all my optics to show that size?

All very good statements, though I must confess I'm not familiar with the words of philosopher Eminem.

I've always like the words of Winston Churchill. He was a great speaker and didn't mince words.

• Like 1

I can remember my High School Senior  graduation like it was yesterday. When the Class began looking for that special slogan to attribute to what we had accomplished everyone racked their brains trying to come up with that special one. Folks were throwing out all kinds of things and I just sat and listened. I mean my graduating class had 29 seniors in it. Small town, small school and I was an outsider since I joined that class in the last year of my education in mid term.  Finally the Home room teacher got everyone calmed down from the roar. She looked at me and said you have not said anything since we began discussion this. She then ask me if I had any thoughts about it. I sat there with 28 other students staring at me and I said, " each day I wake up my faith in that day makes my tomorrow beautiful." Everyone sat there staring at me like I sprouted 2 heads all at once. The Teacher went to the chalk board and wrote,  Our Faith in today makes our Tomorrows Beautiful. She asked anyone else if they had another one  to add as she was going to make a list. For a week there was nothing else added so our slogan was "Our Faith in Today Makes Our Tomorrows Beautiful." That is how I felt back then and most days when I wake up I still feel that same way 50 years later................jmho

Doug, that is wonderful. With your permission, I'll pass those words along to others.

I do not however, promise not to claim them as my own. lol

• Like 1
  • Authorized Vendor

Yep...It helped. I can see that. Now can we get all my optics to show that size?

All very good statements, though I must confess I'm not familiar with the words of philosopher Eminem.

I've always like the words of Winston Churchill. He was a great speaker and didn't mince words.

You never know when someone says something thoughtful. :P

Good post Hipower, and Happy Birthday. If you are like me it is just another day, but you know what that's a pretty good gift. You have probably heard it, but today is very special as they call it the present!! I heard a good one the other day "Life is like a coin you have only once to spend it so spend it wisely."

• Like 1

Doug, that is wonderful. With your permission, I'll pass those words along to others.

I do not however, promise not to claim them as my own. lol

Go for it Buddy!!!!! :up: :up:    Old yea!!!!!!Happy Birthday Buddy!!!

Edited by bersaguy