Anyone want to help me install a gas block and free float handguard? (Nashville area)

I had plans to remove my pinned FSB the other night and shave it down to a low profile then re install it. Things however did not go that way. The pins were nearly impossible to get out to I had to grind on them a little and really wail on them with the punch. I managed to finally get it off but I of course had to buy a gas block. I went with a setscrew type and also ordered a 10" free float quad rail.

I do not have the proper barrel nut tools and all of that yet and also do not have access to a drill press needed for dimpling the barrel. Anyone in the Nashville, Mt. Juliet or Lebanon area that's done this before want to help me out with this install? I don't have the parts in yet but I figure they will be here before the weekend.

Edited by maroonandwhite

If you are closer to Knoxville I can do it as well.

Thanks for the offer Dolomite but I don't ever get out that way. Haha I thought I was in a PM in my earlier posts. Making plans for all to see. Do you have any experience with the cheaper gas blocks or quad rails from ebay. The particular company is Omega Tactical. I assume they are Chinese made at that price.

If you want a "cheap" rail, buy UTG. A bunch of their products are made here in the USA, relatively inexpensive, and every one that I've seen functioned well, but was heavy. (Note: I've not handled their low profile rails yet)

Of course, one should never forget: "Heavy is good. Heavy is reliable."

ROFL, seriously though. Their rails aren't bad. Not the most beautiful, but it's a tool, right?

• Like 1

I have used all kinds of cheap handguards and so far they all work well. I will say that you have to be careful with how much pressure you apply to install the barrel nut if it is a free float tube.

If it is the clamp on type, which I have used for at least 10 years, they are extremely durable. I have a set of clamp on rails that I lend out to everyone who wants to try it and it has survived some serious abuse. They are simple to install. Make sure when you replace your gas block you put the handguard retainer back on.

thanks. It is a free float hand guard. I'm not sure the retainer will allow enough clearance for the hand guard. Did you just mean to put it on if it wasn't a free float type?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, the handguard retainer must be there for the clamp on type but with a free float type you do not need it.

ok. Dimpling the barrel for the block is what has me most nervous haha. Shouldn't be too hard though. That first cut is the hardest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I'm opening this back up. 173rdABN has offered to help but we can't get together until Sunday and I am hoping to get it to the range this weekend. If anyone else in the area can help with it tomorrow, Friday or Saturday afternoon please let me know. I was going to go buy a barrel nut tool but I can't find one in stock anywhere. Thanks!

I have a reaction rod as well as a armors wrench the only issue is that I am in Clarksville and wouldnt have a way to get to you before the weekend (Saturday) if nothing else works out unless you can travel here

Thanks Ron. I will be borrowing an armorers wrench from a member tonight so I think I have it squared away. It's usually the easy things I screw up though. :pleased: