S&W 629 Deluxe 6.5" Talo exclusive???

Guest Phizzle99GST

Guest Phizzle99GST

Hey all. Been some time since I've posted here. I've recently decided its time to add a 44mag to my collection. I've narrowed it down to the Ruger Redhawk/Super Redhawk 7.5" and the S&W 29/629 6.5".

I do not intend to fire any hot loads through it. So the Super Redhawk may not be necessary but it was within my price range.

As far as the S&W 29s. I love em. I have a model 57 and 686 and would love to continue with the S&W line.

Which brings me to my question. At roughly the same price(new) there is the 629 classic and the 629 Deluxe Talo exclusive. The Deluxe looks better with the wood grip but does anyone know if there are any other differences?

I have looked for used 29s online but unless I can get one in hand to look at it before buying it then I don't quite trust that route unless its listed as new. And is there a reason it seems the 29-3 is selling for cheaper than the other 29 models?

As I said above, I likely will not put any hot loads through it. I'm going to use it as my carry gun when hunting or exploring and will target shoot with it on occasion.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A 29-3 was after S&W dropped pinned barrels and recessed cylinders, but before they added the endurance package making them stronger for hot loads. It is the least desirable of the versions of the pre-lock model 29. -2 and earlier had pinned and recessed barrels and -4 and later had the endurance package.

I've owned both the Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 and the S&W 29. Both are great guns. I know there's been some Smith bashing of not holding up to "hot" loads. I'm not going to argue that either way, but I still have my Mod 29-2 from 30 years ago and I've feed it a steady diet of factory 240 grain ammo, along with factory equivalent reloads all that time with no problems. It's still as tight as ever.

As far as the new Talo vs the Classic, I believe the Talo has the full length under barrel rib while the Classic does not. I don't think you'll go wrong with either ... or the Ruger. In the end, its what YOU like.

Guest Phizzle99GST

had my eye on a new S&W 629 6.5" Talo w/half lug online(1/2 lug 6.5" Talo have been very hard to find-only one ive seen)... anyway, I placed a bid and it wasn't enough, then tried to bid $25 higher to my max against someone that bid once 3 days prior, well I was on the phone while this was happening with just 4 minutes left and thinking I submitted my max

turns out I didn't even submit it so I missed out on my chance at it but I may just get a 6" 629-6 1/2 lug or 6.5" full lug and buy a decent aftermarket wood grip for it.