Share how you carry in your home!

Guest mechanically

Guest mechanically

I was reading another post today that reinforced to me how important I think it is to carry at home. 

If you're not a proponent of home carry, you're welcome to speak up as well. 

In my case, I think I'm fooling myself if I think I can get to a gun across my house in a bedroom safe in less than 10 seconds. We talk a lot about law enforcement being more than a couple seconds away when it counts, but I think we often forget those seconds are the same, whether you're in the parking lot at the hardware store, or sitting in your dining room.

The other thing that convinced me was the sheer amount of time I'm at home. Statistically, I spend more time here than anywhere else. So, wouldn't it make sense to have the best tools I can muster at my fingertips in the places I spend the most time?

I thought it would be helpful to share SPECIFIC methods that you use, in case there are others contemplating home carry.

In my case, if I'm wearing regular pants, I probably have a belt on, and then I've got an OWB holster with my CZ Rami 9mm. It's small enough that it doesn't get in the way, and I feel it's adequate as a first option if called upon. The OWB holster is something I can wear all day comfortably. 

If I don't have a belt around my middle, I use a Pistol Wear band with the same CZ. I often wear nylon shorts when I'm mowing the lawn or working outside, and the belly band works well. It needs a wash from time to time, and I'm pretty intentional about stripping my CZ after any yardwork for a though cleaning and de-sweating (yuk!) but it's well worth the trouble. If I know I'm going to be out for a while, I'll switch over to a J frame in the same band, but put it into a small plastic bag before I suit up. The bag keeps the gun mostly sweat-free, and I'm more confident a revolver won't suffer a malfunction if it's shot from inside a plastic bag.

http://www.pistolwear.com/

So, what's your routine at home to keep something on your person? Tips, links, and photos welcome!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gun hidden close to front door and a gun hidden in the living room where most of our time is spent, in addition to the house gun on the night stand.  Out in the yard sometimes it's a Glock 23 in a OWB holster but in the summer time when it's hot and I want to wear nylon shorts it's the TCP in the pocket.  A .44mag it is not, but with me it is.

I continue to carry whatever/however I put on that morning. Usually a PF9 IWB, G19 IWB or P3AT/P238 in a belly band. When I come home, I may put on more comfortable clothes, but I'll just carry whatever gun/holster I had been carrying all day. When It's time for bed, I'll put my carry gun in the safe and have my usual bedside weapons (G17, 870) available.

I'm always armed at home

Either on my belt or in my pocket, depending on various things.  Though I'll be honest and say I'm pretty lax about carrying at home.  If I've been out somewhere, sometimes I'll leave the gun on, sometimes I put it away.  With 2 little kids, I'm not comfortable storing them anywhere but on me or in the safe. 

Same as I do out and about, Kahr in the pocket. Unless I don't get dressed and go out at all, in which case I have loaded pistolae here and there all over the place. :)

All of which are secondary choices if there's time to grab the shotgun, though.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Inside the house is kinda hard since I generally run around the house wearing stuff that doesn't lend well to caring.  I do however have a gun handy were I work and watch TV and 1 hidden inside pretty much every room of the house.  Most of the time it wouldn't be a smart move to break into my home.

Thanks

Robert