Ancestory.com ????

I gave it a try till they started the nickel and dime game so i just called my 93 year old grandma and talked to her for several hours and just wrote down all that she told me then did the leg work may of took longer but it was good fun

I gave it a try till they started the nickel and dime game so i just called my 93 year old grandma and talked to her for several hours and just wrote down all that she told me then did the leg work may of took longer but it was good fun

Thanks. I don't have any old relatives to call as I am becoming that part of the family who folks call about our family tree and in all honesty I don't know that much about it. I was wondering about the nickle and dime stuff mostly. Sites like that have been know to nickle and dime folks into the poor house once they get their claws into them. I will pass on it................... :up:

They start you out on a free trial for so many days but only give you just a nuff info to leave you wanting more then it is a monthly membership that they just automatically draft and if i remember ther were different levels of membership i found that if you know some basic information you can find a lot with Google i did some basic research on my moms family with my grandmas information my aunt on my dads side did a really in depth family tree several years ago and it took her a couple of years she did it in her spare time then put it in book form and gave everyone one fro cristmas i love family history especially pictures

They start you out on a free trial for so many days but only give you just a nuff info to leave you wanting more then it is a monthly membership that they just automatically draft and if i remember ther were different levels of membership i found that if you know some basic information you can find a lot with Google i did some basic research on my moms family with my grandmas information my aunt on my dads side did a really in depth family tree several years ago and it took her a couple of years she did it in her spare time then put it in book form and gave everyone one fro cristmas i love family history especially pictures

Thanks for that information. I think my Grandmother had a very interesting life and I was wanting to find out a lot more about her and her side of my family. I have no clue where to begin but don't want to get scammed by some web site either. Thanks again... :up:

If you are real interested in getting your family tree done, I would suggest a professional service.  There are quite a few listed and they can at least use services that would be too expensive in whole to use.  Here is a great article about hiring out these services: https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Hiring_a_Professional_Researcher

If enough family members are interested maybe you guys can share in the cost.

I tried it a few years back and found it to be semi-interesting not necessarily because of our personal but just looking around at the records from a historical view in general.  There's so much fascinating documentation and pics/stories attached to people in there.

I did the free trial thing a few years ago.  Got my Dad's side of the family back 9 generations to the generation that was born in England and came across the pond in the mid 1700's.  That was pretty interesting.  Got basically zip on my Mom's side of the family, less than what people currently living knew.  I think the majority of the info on my Dad's family was dug up by one of my aunts a number of years ago.  

I tried it two years ago.  I was able to get back to my great grandfather on my paternal side.  But that was simply because I have the headstones to know birth dates and death dates.  Past that, I wasn't able to get anywhere.  There simply aren't enough public records for that time from the areas that I would be looking in.  

• Like 1

Your local library is probably the best resource for you to start researching genealogy.  Most have both the access to public records and the staff to help you with research.  Many libraries either have a genealogical club or individuals who are currently doing research themselves, virtually everyone involved in this hobby are both able and willing to help others get started with their projects.

Many years ago my dad had a friend who knew the right places to look, look up his side of the family, where it get to who married who back to the 1700's and earlier get kinda confusing. I still have the folder of info, my great great grandfather was a  Lieutenant in the 9th Tennessee calvery CSA. That was interesting to learn. On my moms side of the family much of their time was in Kansas during the civil war, most likely Jayhawkers on the Union side.

Edited by K191145
The mormon website can help but you have to take it with suspicion. I have found stuff on there that I know was wrong. Google can turn up a lot of information if you are willing to take the time. Most last names have forums where people share information. Those can be a help. Don't take any one source as the final word. Verify! It can be fun.
As bvarnell mentioned the church of lds has the most records of any location bar none, unless you are willing to pay for a DNA test but those sites are very similar to ancestory.com they want you to buy a more expensive test, but there basic test will get you started as well in doing your geneology. Good luck in your search it can be fun and also hair pulling, my sister has been researching for years on the subject and at times it will lead to a dead end depending on locations and record keeping back in the day.

I tried it 10+ years ago and found some good info, I contacted a person that had left some info and their e-mail address, come to find out she was a 2nd cousin that had a bunch of family history. Genealogy is interesting and frustrating at the same time. You can spend a lot of time and a good bit of money.