S&W 317 Airlite .22

Guest VTCessnaPilot

Guest VTCessnaPilot

I'm looking at this Smith as a gift for the lady in my life... she can handle the larger calibers, but this looked nice because of its smaller grip, very light weight, and low ammo cost.

I've heard the trigger on this specific model could use a little work. Anyone have experince with one?

tabancalar_160221_large.jpg

Edited by VTCessnaPilot
image error
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Those 317s are cool. It's especially cool if she's gunna shoot it a lot, cuz she can shoot almost 1,000 .22s for the price of one box of 357 Mag these days!

Uhh... as for the trigger.... gee... there are so many different reports and opinions on guns' triggers, and what I want may not be what you want, yadda yadda yadda, I'm not even gunna try and make some kind of statement there, except that with a good gunsmith I'm sure you can get the trigger to feel just like you want it to.

I imagine if your lady is into guns, she wouldn't sneeze at a gift like the 317!

Guest looneeetunes

a question. my wife would probably like one of these also. i havent held one in my hand. anyone know how hard the hammer pull is? she has weak hands. i had, i think it was a model 917 taurus 22 mag for her. she has weak hands and hammer pull was a prob for her. i looked into lighter springs, and all the answers i came up with from people were dont do it, it has to have a strong hammer to set off a rimfire, i was warned there would be misfires.

I have the 2" version and I shoot it weekly at my EDC range time. (My EDCs are S&W J Frames also, so 317 is a "trainer" for drills) I love mine and probably average 100+ shots through it a week.My trigger was great right out of the box. I have to qualify that remark with the fact that I am a "wheelie" and I shoot DAO all of the time. My one and only carry auto is a Glock G23 with a NY1 trigger (8#+). Short version is that I am accustomed to DAO trigger pull. People who like their ,3# auto triggers are likely to find fault with the 317 trigger, but as a revolver shooter I find it pretty good.

From experience, I would recommend against any light springs. The 317 is rimfire and you need a healthy whack on the rim for dependable ignition. After the first 200 rounds I found that the 317 trigger smoothed out and was very acceptable. The frame is aluminum so I was very leary of any "trigger jobs" involving removing metal on frame (normal procedure in slicking up a S&W trigger) and waited to see how much range time helped out and it did!

Great little gun!