state to state to California

I plan to get my CCW soon.

And then probably a few months after that, my family and I are planning a long drive to California (from TN of course). I would like to bring my carry weapon - we've watched enough scary movies.

I understand I should be ok with certain states that are reciprocal with TN... but how about the states that don't honor that?

If i leave the gun (which will be a low capacity 9mm (p6 - holding 8 rounds)) in the trunk with the magazine separate - will that be ok? Will that be ok in states like California?

Thanks.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18
I plan to get my CCW soon.

And then probably a few months after that, my family and I are planning a long drive to California (from TN of course). I would like to bring my carry weapon - we've watched enough scary movies.

I understand I should be ok with certain states that are reciprocal with TN... but how about the states that don't honor that?

If i leave the gun (which will be a low capacity 9mm (p6 - holding 8 rounds)) in the trunk with the magazine separate - will that be ok? Will that be ok in states like California?

Thanks.

Well, its quite simple in that you cannot carry in a state that does not honor TN's permit. For the ones that don't, yeah, keeping the mag and gun completely separate is a good idea. However, personally, I would not step foot into CA with a gun, no matter what its condition.

If you leave it out of sight in your car you wont get in any trouble anyway. They can only search your car with consent or a warrant so unless you are smuggling dope i wouldnt worry

Let's say I speed and get pulled over - I hand over my DL with my CCW card - he knows I can carry.

If in a state like CA, I state that the weapon is in the trunk with mag/ammo in the glove box. He lets me go without a ticket because of my charm and demeanor and his/her good mood and I'm off on my merry way.

If in a state where CCW is ok/reciprocal - I would have the gun loaded and closeby. I would tell him/her so. I also am let go without a ticket because of my charm/demeanor and his/her good mood - i'm off on my merry way.

Is that correct? I assume you want to tell the LEO asap that you have a weapon in the car but you are responsible?

I wouldn't even think about carrying my weapon to California. There laws are very different from ours. Especial when they find out that you are out of time. You will just be asking for trouble. I know several officers that went there for a training seminar and only a couple of them took there weapons. Think long and hard on this before you act. Getting caught means jail and a trip or two back there and possible jail again.

I wouldn't even think about carrying my weapon to California. There laws are very different from ours. Especial when they find out that you are out of time. You will just be asking for trouble. I know several officers that went there for a training seminar and only a couple of them took there weapons. Think long and hard on this before you act. Getting caught means jail and a trip or two back there and possible jail again.

Oh horse pucky.

Federal law allows you to transport the firearm, carry permit or not.

"A provision of federal law serves as a defense to state or local laws which would prohibit the passage of persons with firearms in interstate travel.

Notwithstanding any state or local law, a person shall be entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he may lawfully possess and transport such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and transport such firearm if the firearm is unloaded and in the trunk. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm shall be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console."

California allows you to possess the firearm, unloaded in trunk, locked case if no trunk, ammunition not "attached", or even loaded at temporary residences, including campgrounds, etc.

Look at Cal gun law at NRA site:

http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/

Not sure about the >10 round mags though, might look further into that.

From here TO California, you can simply carry it, loaded, as you would in TN, since every state you pass through honors TN permit.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

wow, thanks for all the info guys - in such a short time!

I guess i'll have to find a "locked container then". and of course to keep the mag/ammo separate once i get to CA.

i'll still heed that warning "alwayspackin" ... can never be to careful. I think i'll call the Police Dept. there where I'm finally staying just so that I can get someone's name to quote that it's "ok".

I'll also make sure to print any info like that provided by ohShoot.

This trip won't be until next year but i definitely don't want to drive that far unprotected.

thanks everyone.

... I think i'll call the Police Dept. there where I'm finally staying just so that I can get someone's name to quote that it's "ok".

Ummm...no.

Follow the law as you find it written, don't invite scrutiny. For the normal lawful citizen, always better to ask forgiveness than permission.

Also, the locked box...I bought this recently:

http://www.center-of-mass.com/

The large one ... more than adequate for general purpose for single handgun, mags, ammo.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest canynracer
Oh horse pucky.

Federal law allows you to transport the firearm, carry permit or not.

"A provision of federal law serves as a defense to state or local laws which would prohibit the passage of persons with firearms in interstate travel.

Notwithstanding any state or local law, a person shall be entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he may lawfully possess and transport such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and transport such firearm if the firearm is unloaded and in the trunk. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm shall be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console."

California allows you to possess the firearm, unloaded in trunk, locked case if no trunk, ammunition not "attached", or even loaded at temporary residences, including campgrounds, etc.

Look at Cal gun law at NRA site:

http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/

Not sure about the >10 round mags though, might look further into that.

From here TO California, you can simply carry it, loaded, as you would in TN, since every state you pass through honors TN permit.

- OS

Correct. I have lived in CA my whole life...you can transport in CA, as long as its in the same condition that you would transport here if you didnt have your permit.

Gun locked in Trunk...ammo completely seperate locked in the glove box. (I would not have the mag loaded) 3 steps to "Go armed" Load mag, unlock gun, put mag in gun.

there ARE ranges all over CA, and LOTS of gun stores!!

aa Oh Shoot stated, you should be able to carry all the way to Nevada/CA state lines...

Have a safe trip!

You can legally carry from Tennessee to the state line of California (assuming you are on I-40). Even in New Mexico, where they don't "honor" the TN permit they have a "safe passage" law that allows you to keep a loaded firearm in your car as long as you can demonstrate that you are traveling through their state. Now, even though California is an evil state, not all cops there are. When I was leaving Camp Pendleton and moving back to Memphis, I was driving with something like 15 guns in my car. A couple were even visible through the back window. I ended up getting stopped before I even left Oceanside and the cops were cool. They even made mention of the fact that my guns could be seen and I shouldn't leave them like that if I had to stay in a hotel. Long story made short, when you enter California, unload both your gun and the magazine, seperate ammo, and store gun in trunk. That will keep you out of trouble.

You can legally carry from Tennessee to the state line of California (assuming you are on I-40). Even in New Mexico, where they don't "honor" the TN permit they have a "safe passage" law that allows you to keep a loaded firearm in your car as long as you can demonstrate that you are traveling through their state. Now, even though California is an evil state, not all cops there are. When I was leaving Camp Pendleton and moving back to Memphis, I was driving with something like 15 guns in my car. A couple were even visible through the back window. I ended up getting stopped before I even left Oceanside and the cops were cool. They even made mention of the fact that my guns could be seen and I shouldn't leave them like that if I had to stay in a hotel. Long story made short, when you enter California, unload both your gun and the magazine, seperate ammo, and store gun in trunk. That will keep you out of trouble.

New Mexico does honor TN permits. NM State Police website

But even if you didn't have a permit at all NM allows open carry without a permit and allows Open or Concealed carry in a vehicle without permit. See NM info on Opencarry.org

Edited by Fallguy
Guest bkelm18
If you leave it out of sight in your car you wont get in any trouble anyway. They can only search your car with consent or a warrant so unless you are smuggling dope i wouldnt worry

Two words: Probable Cause.

Im just telling you what a judge told us in our Politcal Science Class. He said dont give consent to search your vehicle make them get a warrant or provide probable cause. If they dont have a dog on the scene they cant make you wait for another unit to bring one. He said if they hold you to wait for a dog tell them you want to speach to their superior. Are there any Lawyers on this forum that can clear this up?

Edited by jth_3s