NIKON, REDFIELD OR VORTEX

Ron Padilla

In the event I need to change my scope out on my 300blk carbin not sure which one to go with I have heard good things about all three, hae always held nikon glass with regard due to their camera equipment, have also heard good about the other 2 as well.  I also want to put a red dot on my ar pistola and not sure what to go with there.  Let me know what some of ya'll think and why. 

Thanks

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another Vortex fan here. I have their cheap (Paid $150 new, shipped around black Friday) Crossfire II on my M&P10 and it's super clear and sharp all the way to the full 18x at 200yds, which is the farthest I've seen through it so yet. Edited by musicman

so far 2 for vortex 1 negative for redfield and 0 for nikon, I am thinking about the p 300 from nikon for the 300blk carbine, and also thinking about the vortex strikefire2 with red green dot for the 300blk pistola that was completed after several months of building.  I am have trouble with the current nikon on my carbine and not sure yet if it the scope the mount or the rifle. but from all indicators it is the scope.  If it is I will have nikon repair and put it back on a remington 700 I want to get later in the year.  I had bought the current nikon for a remington but it ended up on the carbine, it is a lttle short for a 700 but it worked ok but seems to long for the 300blk.

Ive got 4 or 5 Nikons around here on various deer rifles. They seem to be a great value. But after purchasing a Vortex Viper last year for my 308 I am hooked. It will be Vipers from here on out.

ETA: Ive had a Vortex SPARC on an AR for about 3 years. Has performed flawlessly. Would like to try the SPARC 2. Might hafta buy one for the wifes AR. Edited by Bad_Bowtie
Vortex for me. Every time I look through a Redfield it feels like I'm looking through a fisheye lense.
Nikon make cameras.
I've got 3 Vortex scopes & a spotter.
The only minor niggle I have with the lower end Vortex is the shorter than average eye relief, but the clarity of the optics more than makes up for that.

Well there is no budget per se, just wishful thinking to a degree.  I know I cannot afford the high end stuff, so i would need to stay at the bottom end of the affordable scope range.  I felt like others that Nikon was for camera stuff but then bought one because of the reputation of the glass they use for there lenses.  Then I heard about the vortex equipment and have put some thought in to that glass, the one scope that brings me back to Nikon and not sure if other companies have one similar is the dedicated 300blk scope.  With the thought that if they put out the effort to develop a scope for a 300blk it might be worth a shot.  I have never really looked in to or used a red dot and was looking at different options for my 300blk pistola.  So I might try a Vortex red dot for that, and if it such that I dont like it I can always sell it and try something else.  So that is what has driven the question thinking that most of you have far greater exposure and use of the different scopes, I had heard that redfield was taken over by leopuld and thought that maybe the product control might be a little higher but not sure on those.

So I am still in the game for trying a different scope and if they dont work out I can hope that I can recover some of my money or let me son have them and buy something else that is in the affordable line.  Still hoping for more to add thoughts along with what some have found to work with a 300blk carbin and a 300blk pistola.  I still have hopes of adding another remington 700 back in to my line up of weapons now that wally world is offering a 6 month layaway that is something i can budget for and will need glass for it. 

Thanks

Never had or used a Vortex.

But I know they get good reviews.

Got a couple Nikons, and love 'em.

Got one Redfield its the Revolution 2x7x33.

Picked it last year, put it on my Marlin 35 Rem.love it also, very clear.

The Revolution is made in the USA, none of the other Redfields are.

Good luck.