Ukraine might have been nuked, video inside.

• Moderators

Not a nuke since the flash isn't bright enough and it is orange. But I call BS on the one report from the Ukraine saying that it was from a dropped cigarette.

As if it were actually a dropped cigarette anyone would be around to tell us about it?

Not exactly. You're thinking of the Budapest Memorandum which says we (plus Russia and the UK) would provide "security assurances" in exchange for nuclear non-proliferation. "Security assurances" in geo-political treaties is not the same thing as "direct military action" as we have with NATO signatories. It can mean sanctions against an aggressor, or hosting peace talks, or supplying humanitarian aid, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budapest_Memorandum_on_Security_Assurances

Quoting myself to add:

Ukraine got humped and dumped like a cheap whore. They counted on Russia to stay out of their borders and counted on the US and the UK to enforce that. What they failed to realize is that Ukraine really isn't that important to the US or the UK and certainly wouldn't go to open war with Russia over them. They failed to see that Russia wouldn't stay in the disarray that followed the break-up of the USSR and would come looking to reassert their dominance in the future. They seemingly also forgot that Russia is a permanent member of the UN security council and would veto any resolution against themselves.

Getting rid of their nukes was still likely the right thing to do, but they should have negotiated a much stronger treaty with the US. I'm glad they didn't. I don't think we need to be getting involved in their war. We wouldn't win that and won't win the economic one Obama is trying to wage because we don't have leverage on the Russian economy. Europe does, but they're not going to hurt themselves to help Ukraine. Ukraine has to solve this by themselves. They sat there for almost 14 years with that Russian shadow growing and failed to build a strong enough conventional military deterrent or to diversify their economy enough that they could hurt Russia more than themselves by shutting down oil and gas pipelines.

They had to know that at some point Russia would make a play on Crimea, if not their eastern flank. Historical "ownership" of Crimea as part of Russia is just a load of crap. Russia wasn't going to continue to let its warm water port and home to it's large southern naval fleet be sitting in a foreign country whose eyes were on the west.

• Moderators

We wouldn't win that and won't win the economic one Obama is trying to wage because we don't have leverage on the Russian economy. Europe does, but they're not going to hurt themselves to help Ukraine. Ukraine has to solve this by themselves. They sat there for almost 14 years with that Russian shadow growing and failed to build a strong enough conventional military deterrent or to diversify their economy enough that they could hurt Russia more than themselves by shutting down oil and gas pipelines.

Does anyone else recall a week or two ago about the story of the Russian spies that were found "manipulating and possibly attempting to crash the American economy"?

http://www.economist.com/news/united-states/21641284-how-fbi-claims-have-caught-putins-spooks-new-york-unearthing-moscows-moles

EDIT: Just going by what I heard off the radio when the story "broke".

Edited by CZ9MM

Does anyone else recall a week or two ago about the story of the Russian spies that were found "manipulating and possibly attempting to crash the American economy"?

http://www.economist.com/news/united-states/21641284-how-fbi-claims-have-caught-putins-spooks-new-york-unearthing-moscows-moles

EDIT: Just going by what I heard off the radio when the story "broke".

Notice how this, as is all important info, missing from the media?
I think Putin knows bho is planning on crashing it himself but thought it would happen sooner and didn't expect his economy to tank.
  • Moderators

So why exactly is this person standing their filming out the window? They seem to know something is about to happen...

Yeah, I've been thinking about this one all day. There are quite a few different videos of some guy holding a camera to record "something". The chances of people randomly sticking cameras that direction at the right time starting and starting the recording before it happened?

Slim

What I figured happened was shelling/rockets (as reported by some) were going on. Loud noises in that direction were being heard so many pulled out their phones in hopes of catching something. They got more than they hoped for when one of the shells/rockets hit that plant.

Just my take on it. Maybe there are more facts that suggest something else.

Edited by CZ9MM

Yeah, I've been thinking about this one all day. There are quite a few different videos of some guy holding a camera to record "something". The chances of people randomly sticking cameras that direction at the right time starting and starting the recording before it happened?

Slim

What I figured happened was shelling/rockets (as reported by some) were going on. Loud noises in that direction were being heard so many pulled out their phones in hopes of catching something. They got more than they hoped for when one of the shells/rockets hit that plant.

Just my take on it. Maybe there are more facts that suggest something else.

Admittedly I didn't listen to it with the volume on so I didn't hear what they heard. I assume they were pointing towards noise but again they had to have some idea that something was about to go down. Or up.

Nukes are one thing that interest the hell out of me, and mostly not in a good way.  A nuclear bomb goes off in multiple stages, and whichever kind it is, they normally put off a bright flash of light  as part of the reaction (one of the stages) before the large explosion occurs.  There's no way that was nuclear.

<edit>

Here's a link to a document that explains a bit more on why the flash happens and why it is so bright:  http://www2.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB190/02.pdf  

It's pretty crazy that this things are so powerful that the pattern of light is actually similar for almost every nuclear event without regard to how big the bomb is.

Edited by Sam1

Nukes are one thing that interest the hell out of me, and mostly not in a good way.  A nuclear bomb goes off in multiple stages, and whichever kind it is, they normally put off a bright flash of light  as part of the reaction (one of the stages) before the large explosion occurs.  There's no way that was nuclear.

<edit>

Here's a link to a document that explains a bit more on why the flash happens and why it is so bright:  http://www2.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB190/02.pdf

It's pretty crazy that this things are so powerful that the pattern of light is actually similar for almost every nuclear event without regard to how big the bomb is.

The double-flash phenomenon has always been the "signature" of even single-stage detonations, such as the first explosion at the Trinity test site in 1945.  Multiple stage weapons produce essentially the same flash characteristics, as the time differential between staged reactions is measured in nanoseconds.  As an aside, a "shake" in physics was delineated by the physicists of the Manhattan project as 10 nanoseconds to provide a convenient measure of timing specific events in the chain reaction, it comes from the old expression "two shakes of a lamb's tail" ...

Size of the nuke is irrelevant, there will always be a huge flash before the fireball. If you can see the fireball, you would have seen the flash without question.

and at camera distance.... a *lot* more chaos.

Nevada test site was visible from Los Angeles - http://www.wired.com/2014/01/throwback-thursday-the-glow-of-the-atomic-age-seen-from-the-golden-state/

Edited by R_Bert