Ruger SP 101

jeff43

I'm thinking about getting a SP 101 357 mag , which barrel length do y'all prefer? 3" or 4.2?
I would like the adj.sights that the 4.2" barrel has I think, but if the fixed sights are dead on that would be better.I'd be shooting 38's more than 357's, occasional carry.Mostly target shooting and plinking.
I have the sp 101 with 3 inch barrel in 357 mag. It has fixed sights but I put xs sight on the front. It shoots great but is the only revolver I own so my revolver experience is limited. I removed the factory grip and installed houge grip and that improved the gun for me. Just a plinking gun for me but I enjoy it.

If your thinking occasional carry and primary range gun I'd say get the 4" with the adjustable sights personally. You shouldn't have too hard a time hiding it with the right clothes and the adjustable sights are not too big of a snag concern on a gun like that IMO.

Either one will be a sweet shooter for sure, good choice :up: .

Carry is the only reason to have an SP over a GP, IMHO,  so make sure that "occasional carry" is important to you.

- OS

This…
I assumed he wanted to carry. If he’s going bigger he might as well step all the way up and go with the S&W 686 in 4” or 6”.
I would go with a 4" for the mere reason that they are newer and not as many exist. Besides, that should be a waistband gun and the barrel length for the most part will be irrelevant for carry. A 3" k frame or Sp with magnums is just barely manageable. A 4" sp101 would probably be a decent shooter with magnums, and also a good hiking gun around the East.

I tend to agree with Oh Shoot on carry being the principle reason to go with the SP-101 vs. GP100 with one proviso...I've met people wit smaller hands who do better with the SP-101 or a S&W J frame. As to the barrel, well mode and purpose of carry should define this but for CC with the SP-101 my preference would be fixed sights 3". Realistically if I'm going to carry a 4' barrel .357 Magnum it's going to be either a GP-100 or S&W K frame in an OWB holster.

I have all three versions of the sp101.

For carrying the 2 1/4" or 3" for plinking the 4" would be a good option. Now, if you want something just for range use the gp100 4" with the compact grips would be excellent. If I had to pick just one for both carry and range use it would be the 3" either the sp101 or gp100. Did I forget to mention the gp100 in 6" is my favorite range gun. You can shoot it all day and not feel any pain from recoil with either 38 or 357. To me shooting 38's in this gun is like shooting 22 mags.

Yeah it would be an occasional carry.Usually carry a Glock 19 or 26 or a Taurus 85 UL 38.Just want a new toy.I had a S&W 66, to big for my liking to carry.

Depending on how long of a barrel 66 you had, you may find the sp101 very similar because I do. I like shooting a L frame, but the k frame my be my favorite size which is only negligibly larger.
I may be a little partial to Smiths though.
7E4D6D65-0315-49E0-B668-D30709819BAD-252 Edited by Patton
If you are going with a 4 inch barrel, as others have said, why not go with the GP 100 instead? The SP 101 is a five shot while the GP 100 is a six shot. The five shot, of course, is a little less thick at the cylinder but if you are going with a four inch barrel I don't think the cylinder thickness is going to make much difference in the ability to conceal it. If it were mainly for concealed carry then the SP would have an edge but then you'd probably also want a shorter barrel. MSRP on the two is essentially the same and both are available in a 4.2 inch barrel with adjustable sights.. The only advantage I see that the four inch SP 101 might have over the GP 100 - depending on usage and preference - is that the 4 inch SP with adjustable rear sights has a fiber optic front sight while the GP is (strangely, I think) only available with a ramp front sight. Personally, for all around use I'm not sure how much I'd like the fiber optic front sight, especially if I were going to carry it, sometimes (just because the fiber optic front sight looks pretty big and the ramp front seems sleeker for a carry gun.)

I have a four inch GP 100 and it is a great gun. I don't see me ever willingly parting with it. I would like to have a SP 101 to go with it but the SP would be a snubbie. I have fired a snubbie SP and liked it. The owner even let me carry it on a couple of occasions to try it out. I have to say that even though it fit in my front pocket I'd probably go with belt carry if I carried one. Even in a five shot, snubbie format that SP was pretty danged heavy and a lot more noticeable in my pocket than my S&W 642.

I had a six shot Taurus 66 (the newer Taurus 66 revolvers are seven shot) that I traded for the GP100. It is my understanding that the Taurus 66 was pretty much a clone of the S&W. I can tell you that my 6 shot GP 100 is just a little 'beefier' - especially along the top of the barrel - than the 66. I occasionally (rarely) carried the 66 so I had a Fobus paddle holster for it and the Ruger will not fit it.

According to Ruger's website, the 4.2 inch GP 100 is 9.50 inches in OAL while the 4 inch SP 101 is 9.12 inches in OAL so the length isn't much different. The SP weighs about 10 ounces less than the GP (29.5 oz for the SP and 40 oz for the GP.)

Have you ever seen some of the older Ruger revolvers - the Speed 6 or the Security 6? I almost bought one, once (and probably should have.) I don't remember if it was a Speed or a Security but it had a 4 inch barrel. Ruger hasn't made them in several years but they are known as good guns and aren't quite as 'beefy' as the GP 100. Edited by JAB
  • 2 weeks later...

I started with a 2" and was gifted the 3"

The 3" is just as concealable (providing you can easily find a left-handed holster - I'm still on the hunt)

If you are going to shoot .357, you get improved ballistics over the 2, but I really don't know how much

My preferred SD round for both is the .38 Speer Gold Dot, target is whatever is cheapest, excluding aluminum - personal preference and I scavenge my brass and turn it over to my re-loading guy.

The 3" has an XS Big Dot and Trausch Grips, the 2" has a HiViz fiber optic.

The grips (stocks) started on opposite guns, I swapped them around and like the both the shooting and aesthetic results.

[URL=http://s828.photobucket.com/user/gotthegoods/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0142.jpg.html]IMAG0142.jpg[/URL]