Need Computer Help....How do I use WiFi??

PackinMama

Ok guys, I'm not that great with computers and I need some help. I just picked up a laptop with a wireless card. I live in the sticks where I can only get dial-up right now at home. What I'm wondering about is how do I hook up to the WiFi hotspots when I'm traveling? Do I need a subscription to a WiFi provider if lets say I'm at a hotel or cafe that's provides WiFi? I know absolutely nothing about this, so any info would be greatly appreciated!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest clownsdd

The article referenced is a good one, though you should not have to remember the numbers, manually connect etc.. I am not sure about the Vista operating system. I use xp pro. Most of the puters today have settings where you can have them auto detect ethernet and wireless networks and configure them automatically without having to remember all the addresses. I use my laptop for business. If you are out in the sticks, you might want to get an air card. I use AT&T with unlimited usage when I travel. It also comes in handy when your local service goes out. Some of the hotspots charge some don't. Just be sure to read the fine print. Also, when I use my aircard, or ethernet on the road I turn off the wifi on my laptop so I don't connect to the hotels or other hotspots.

Edited by clownsdd

My laptop has Vista. If I have the WiFi on it tells me if there any available connections and I can simply choose to connect to one.

One thing to remember is some Hot Spots will require you to open a web browser and agree to the Terms of Service before you are fully connected.

Packin'Mama, here is a great way to figure out how ot do it, because it is pretty simple.

Go to Krystal's or somewhere else with a hotspot. Order some food while you are at it, to be courteous. Turn on the laptop. Make sure that the wireless is turned on, too (many laptops have a switch that turns the wireless adapter on and off, some don't). Once the computer boots up, it SHOULD automatically connect, depending on how you set it up. If it doesn't, make sure that you have the wireless adapter turned on (usually a switch).

If it is turned on but does not automatically connect, right click on the wireless network icon < WINDOWS: network1.jpg Might be different, adapter-specific: network2.jpg >, and select "connect to a network" < network3.jpg >

From there, you'll get a screen like this <network4.jpg >

Remember, I'm using Vista, so it won't be exactly the same, but similar.

Just select the one you want to connect to, IF IT ISN'T SECURE, and hit connect (mine says "disconnect" because I'm already connected)

Guest JavaGuy

Krystal was mentioned - another good hotspot is Panera Bread. Starbucks has hooked up with AT&T to provide WiFi as well. You have to register a Starbucks card in order to use their service, two hours at a whack.

Krystal was mentioned - another good hotspot is Panera Bread. Starbucks has hooked up with AT&T to provide WiFi as well. You have to register a Starbucks card in order to use their service, two hours at a whack.

Google for WIFI hotspots to find various lookup databases.

There are 20 places within 10 miles of me, probably denser in much of Nashville...

- OS

Guest gcrookston

I usually find good spots as mentioned above, but also Pilot and Flying J, holiday inns, Best Westerns, often have wifi. My company felt such a need to pile on more reporting responsibilities as sales slowed they gave me a Verizon Aircard (WTF?)

Thanks to everyone for the help (especially to C.a.s., that's exactly how mine works, tyvm!).....I've got it figured out now. I have dialup at home and this high speed stuff is all new to me. It's awesome! I've seen things I've never been able to see before. I've gotta get high speed at my house somehow......any suggestions for high speed out in the sticks? We don't have dsl or cable of any kind.....I have directv and internet service from them is way too expensive....are there any other cheaper options out there?

Thanks to everyone for the help (especially to C.a.s., that's exactly how mine works, tyvm!).....I've got it figured out now. I have dialup at home and this high speed stuff is all new to me. It's awesome! I've seen things I've never been able to see before. I've gotta get high speed at my house somehow......any suggestions for high speed out in the sticks? We don't have dsl or cable of any kind.....I have directv and internet service from them is way too expensive....are there any other cheaper options out there?

If your only options are dialup, no.

We have DSL Lite from ATT, but I don't recommend it. ATT has bad customer service ever since they purchased Bellsouth.