first time muzzle loading

this will be my first time in the woods with my muzzle loader...any advice?? if i shoot one, should i reload my gun still, even if it means staying loaded for a couple months till i go shoot it again? how did your first muzzle load hunt go?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only reload if the deer runs out of site just incase I made a bad shot. If I do reload it agian I don't like to leave it that way. Couple of reasons is even though the cap isn't on I still don't trust it loaded and in my closet, the next reason is you want to clean it so that the powder doesn't stick in your barrel. I have seen some muzzle loaders that were not cleaned and it ain't pretty, the inside of the barrel was nasty looking and it could ruin your barrel. You don't have to clean in everytime, I like to clean mine every 10 or so shots. Always clean it before you store it. Oh and good luck!!!

Edited by Hunting101
Guest billwilly73

I always reload now........ever since about 7 years ago when I shot a 8 point at about 80 yards, he dropped like a ton of bricks and didn't even wiggle, so I just leaned my gun against a tree and lit a victory cigarette. Well about three quarters of the way through my smoke my nervs were starting to settle when all of a sudden the deer jumped up and ran straight toward me like nothings wrong and all I have is a stupid cigarette. Even now at 20 yards I am not man enough to kill a deer with a cigarette! I start trying to reload when the deer sees me, he turns an runs off. I saw where I hit him nd the shot was a little high and he was barely bleeding and left no blood trail...........never could find that deer, but I think someone else shot it later that day. So after that I bought a Black powder revolver and I also reload my rifle as quick as I can. So I have six or seven shots if I need them.

And also un less I'm going hunting within a day or two from reloading my gun, I usually shoot the load. Never can get enough target practice. And it is VERY IMPORTANT to clean that barrel good especially before storing it. Good luck I hope you get a big one.

you know what, that gives me a reason to buy another gun...i need a black powder revolver just for that!!! anyone have one for sale? i normally carry my glock because i hunt on my own land but i guess i could still get in trouble for that, could i?

you know what, that gives me a reason to buy another gun...i need a black powder revolver just for that!!! anyone have one for sale? i normally carry my glock because i hunt on my own land but i guess i could still get in trouble for that, could i?

Yeah I think you would get in trouble since it is muzzleloader.

Edited by Hunting101
Guest Verbal Kint
well, i still brought my glock...but i brought a nice 8 pointer home!! he is going to get mounted for sure!!!!!

Into that kinda thing, huh? Sicko! :lol:

well, my neighbor said i didnt get any mileage out of the deer because i took it straight to the processor. apparently i'm supposed to go rub it in all my friends faces that i've shot the biggest thing this year. i got 1 picture but i'm going to get it mounted and will get pictures than. i'm still learning....lol