Oopsie ... Smokeless Instead of Black Powder

I recently saw a Remy 700 BDL in .243.

The bolt was completely seized up in the barrel. I mean welded to the point that a local gunsmith broke the bolt handle trying to remove it. The gun was sent back to Remington and they couldn't get the bolt out.

Seems the owner had decided to reload some ammo.

When asked he said he just used the powder he had, and that he'd filled the case up to the top before seating the bullet. All powders are alike...right?

Problem was he used Bullseye.

I bet the fireball coming out of that barrel looked like a howitzer.

The bolt was completely seized up in the barrel. I mean welded to the point that a local gunsmith broke the bolt handle trying to remove it. The gun was sent back to Remington and they couldn't get the bolt out.

When asked he said he just used the powder he had, and that he'd filled the case up to the top before seating the bullet. All powders are alike...right?

He's lucky they didn't have to dig that bolt out of his face.

• Like 2

Quite honestly, I don't see how that didn't happen.

Me either. Divine providence perhaps. The 700 has a large lug bearing area so they are exceptionally strong. There was so much heat and pressure the bolt just welded itself to the barrel.

The only salvageable part was the trigger.

Me either. Divine providence perhaps. The 700 has a large lug bearing area so they are exceptionally strong. There was so much heat and pressure the bolt just welded itself to the barrel.

The only salvageable part was the trigger.

Here you go. Threw a 70 gr Matchking, standard OAL, with 100% fill of Bullseye. Max chamber pressure is 135,000 psi. Max for 243 is 60,000.

243%20Bullseye_zps6kbc8c6d.jpg

I wish morons like this had chronographs. I'd love to know how fast that bullet was going.

(eidt) I see mikegideon's program shows 3756 fps. While that's smoking, it's not as impressive as I would have hoped.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1

I wish morons like this had chronographs. I'd love to know how fast that bullet was going.

(eidt) I see mikegideon's program shows 3756 fps. While that's smoking, it's not as impressive as I would have hoped.

The 243 is fast anyway. Here it is with Reloader 15. Note that the barrel time increased significantly...

243%20Reloader%2015_zpsheeu4p21.jpg

Edited by mikegideon

I have to think that you *could* use any powder and get it to safely chuck the bullet out the muzzle, if you got the charge right.  But he used enough to load a 30-06 or something.

19ish grains of Bulleye in our quickload example is right at the SAAMI max pressure, with a muzzle velocity of about 2900 FPS. It's pretty hard to stick a bullet with any significant charge.