Shooting at Bud's

A.J. Holst

Went last weekend, 20 - 25 minute ride from the house, so pretty convenient.

Straight-forward new shooter sign up docs and rules.

Once on the range, the SO came up and introduced himself and gave us a brief synopsis of the range procedures.

After we set up in our lanes, the SO re-visited and asked to see how we gripped our handguns. Odd, but OK, not an unreasonable rule or request...

He then explained "why" They had a new shooter who gripped their semi-automatic pistol waaaay too high and chewed up their hand pretty well.

They just want to be pro-active, especially since they rent handguns and have some level of liability.

Good, common-sense safety check.

The SO was personable and left me the feeling, "just follow the safety rules and unless you have a malfunction, you'll never know I'm here."

The range is well lit and setting the target range is automatic once you input the yardage (3 - 25) on a keypad.

Since the targets ride on a steel track, once they get to distance, they don't bounce up and down as compared to the steel cable system.

Cost is $20/hour and they furnish one B-27 target. On the sales floor, they have a wide variety of targets at standard big box prices.

Extensive assortment of guns for rent --- EVEN A CZ-97B, saw it with mine own eyes - I know someone here has been hunting one - if they got one for rent, they may be able to get one to buy. I think the rental fee is $15.

I didn't price ammo.

The handguns/long guns I spot checked seemed fairly price competitive for a brick and mortar.

So would GottheGoods go back...Yes, a little pricier per hour, but the lighting, ventilation, non-bounce target system, reasonably convenient location, can probably get ammo cheaper at the Knife Works, they do have used guns (never know what kind of peach you might find), excellent customer service received from staff I have interacted with.

• Like 1

I just visited as well.  They have the largest selection of rental pistols of any place I have seen.  The one thing that sets them apart is their range is not just for pistol caliber weapons.  They have a large assortment of AR and other long guns to rent, some chambered in 223/5.56 and other larger calibers.  Store is huge, and everything is well spaced out.  Very good selection of items. 

Only one negative comment, the way they display their pistols on the wall hanging.  1--since they are behind the sales counter, you can't see them as well as you would if they were in a case.  2--they are not in any type of order, not by manufacturers, caliber, anything. . .so it takes a while to looks through everything to find what you are looking for. . .seems weird that not all the same brand are grouped together.

Guest DrNick1986

I've been wanting to go check out Bud's for quite some time. Sounds like I could spend quite a bit of time just walking around and drooling. 

However, $20 per hour sounds a little high especially when compared to other ranges I've visited here in Knoxville (which run between $10 and $12 for unlimited time). I suppose if I was going to shoot rifles it would be worth it.