North East

Guest DylisTN

Guest DylisTN

Traveling to Maine. I plan to field strip my handguns. Lock the frames in one box, the slides in one box and then the mags and ammo in another. Should that be OK even in Massachusetts?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Traveling to Maine. I plan to field strip my handguns. Lock the frames in one box, the slides in one box and then the mags and ammo in another. Should that be OK even in Massachusetts?

Good lord...

Yeah, that oughtta do it.

Unless they think you are manufacturing pistols without a license :D

- OS

Years ago I knew a guy who won a bear hunting trip in Canada.When he got to Penn he found an isolated spot,pulled off the road and buried his pistol before going further north and dug it up on the way home.

Wow, that's dedication.

And OP, check legallyarmed.com for up to date info, but I'd bet you're fine carrying like that!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest REDDOG79

I am heading to Maine for Thanksgiving and considering that I have moved to and from Maine about 4 times with a Uhaul with my guns in it I haven't really done any special precautions while travelling thru Mass. While this may be DUMB I fared just fine every trip. Then again I was just driving thru every time and you also have to be careful in NY and Connecticut as their gun laws suck too.

I looked into the requirements to travel thru the state a few years ago and it said that you had to stop at the first MA state police station on your route and have your pistol/rifle case secured by a MA state police tape so that when you stop at the last MA state police barracks on your way out they can make sure it was not opened while in the state.

It may just be me but I am not going thru that much hassle to travel to see my family in Maine

Guest DylisTN
I am heading to Maine for Thanksgiving and considering that I have moved to and from Maine about 4 times with a Uhaul with my guns in it I haven't really done any special precautions while travelling thru Mass. While this may be DUMB I fared just fine every trip. Then again I was just driving thru every time and you also have to be careful in NY and Connecticut as their gun laws suck too.

I looked into the requirements to travel thru the state a few years ago and it said that you had to stop at the first MA state police station on your route and have your pistol/rifle case secured by a MA state police tape so that when you stop at the last MA state police barracks on your way out they can make sure it was not opened while in the state.

It may just be me but I am not going thru that much hassle to travel to see my family in Maine

I disasembled in PA on the Way north, and reasembled in PA on the way back! And i still could have been in trouble?

Isn't there a federal guide on this built into the last gun law?

Guest REDDOG79

I arrived back home today and the only thing I did was put my Kimber and my NAA mini in the Kimber lock box while in PA and made sure that it was locked in my toolbox on the way up.

We stayed in a hotel in CT on the way up and while illegal I did have my Kimber with me in the room.

On the way back they were back in the Kimber pistol box and when we got to PA I put my weapons back in their usual places while standing next to my truck at a gas station.

I will be the new caretaker of my Dad's 357 when he gets here tomorrow but he brought it down in his car and I have no idea how he transported it.

Now that I think about it I "forgot" about the loaded J frame in my console of the truck the whole trip :tough::cool::popcorn::)

Before my next trip I may get my non resident Maine concealed carry permit. It sucks that I have to be from a state with no reciprocity with TN and pay $65 to be able to carry in the state I grew up in.

If I may ask whereabouts in Maine were you going??? My family lives in the Bangor area and the nice thing is my High School won the championship in football this year.

Some of these states have non resident licenses like MASS and Connecticut. You might want to check on one if you travel up in that area frequently. Maine has non resident licenses too. Mass is a hassle but is doable. Connecticut is easier. The funny thing is in the northeast, you generally can carry wherever you want with a license...like bars....but in most Southern states it is quite a hassle. If you have a Mass license...you can legally go see the Red Sox...eat at a nice restaurant...and enjoy the sights of Boston.

Guest DylisTN

If I may ask whereabouts in Maine were you going??? My family lives in the Bangor area and the nice thing is my High School won the championship in football this year.

Garfield. Up in Arroostic county.

Never even thought about a non-resident permit. Any information on this?