My prediction is ...

Ron_TN

I would like to make a prediction for the coming months and or year.!  I am going out on a limb and say that the new Taurus Curve .380 will be selling off the shelf's this year.  I know its ugly and has been getting negative reviews but I have a feeling the ladies will take to this gun.  There are a couple features I myself like. It is a locked-breech pistol and not a blowback design, it is easy for almost anyone to manipulate including those with dexterity or strength issues. The necessary recoil spring weight of locked-breech pistols is generally far lighter than that of a blowback firearm.  I am a senior who has arthritis in my hands and this would benefit with racking the gun.  I also like the laser, led light and the removable belt clip. To be honest I may purchase one myself

Taurus-Curve-180CRV-0.jpg

Edited by Ron_TN

I see no need in a laser on a mouse gun, the added expense would make this gun not worth it to me.  If I had to use a gun of this size to defend myself I would expect that the target would be so close to me that there would be no time to utilize a laser.  The flash light I could see being handy but I have an issue with lights attached to the gun because of the possibility that the perp is going to shoot towards the light, I would rather carry a good flashlight and use it.  I could see how these features could be an advantage on a HD gun but I would never use a .380 as a house gun.  The Curve is a peculiar little piece but I wouldn't discount it on it's ugly looks alone, I'm all about function and could care less what a defensive pistol looks like.  If I wanted the gun for its aesthetics I would choose a 1911 or a nice wheel gun.  This gun has already received a lot of flak but I wouldn't discount it until I got to try it out first hand.

For most people, concerning the laser, I would agree with you.

However, for fast target acquisition for some, like my wife with wrist and hand problems, I think it is good.

I bought one for her Smith 417, and told her to watch where the dot is. Keep it on the target/ bad guy, and keep pulling the trigger until he is down or you empty the gun. Then run to a phone. Maybe walk, give him time to bleed a little.

No, lasers are not for everyone. But they are good for certain things. JMO
  • Like 3

I only have one question and that is why are so many people down on 380 caliber weapons. I own 3 at present time and I have went shooting out at my son in laws brother farm who is an FFL dealer. While at his range we shot water jugs filled with water and at the same distance shooting pretty much same ammo brand he supplied. My 380 performance was almost so close to the performance of his 9mm on the targets that you could not see a difference. After we were done shooting Matt said that many people don't give the 380 the respect they deserve and he does not know why. I don't either........................ :shrug: :shrug:

• Like 4

I only have one question and that is why are so many people down on 380 caliber weapons. I own 3 at present time and I have went shooting out at my son in laws brother farm who is an FFL dealer. While at his range we shot water jugs filled with water and at the same distance shooting pretty much same ammo brand he supplied. My 380 performance was almost so close to the performance of his 9mm on the targets that you could not see a difference. After we were done shooting Matt said that many people don't give the 380 the respect they deserve and he does not know why. I don't either........................ :shrug: :shrug:

Same reason people would pick a 6 cylinder over a 4 cylinder. Both will get you down the road, but there is a quantifiable difference between te two.

Edited by Smith
  • Like 1
  • Administrator

Come on guys, do we really need another caliber discussion? :lol:

Who wants to get shot with anything? Nobody,

But speaking as someone who HAS been shot before and didn't just read about it on the Internet and form an opinion off of hypotheticals, I can tell you it makes a difference WHAT you get shot with.

Come on guys, do we really need another caliber discussion? :lol:

Who wants to get shot with anything? Nobody,

380 is a weak caliber. I carry one a lot. So does my girlfriend. It's just not in a class with the real defensive calibers that are subject to endless debate. 

But speaking as someone who HAS been shot before and didn't just read about it on the Internet and form an opinion off of hypotheticals, I can tell you it makes a difference WHAT you get shot with.

I hope you didn't shoot yourself in the noggin with a .22 like Ohshoot. Made him crabby :)

Don't get me wrong. I have the utmost respect for any and all calibers equally. I have also been shot back in Nam and none of it was pleasant at all. I would be in fear of looking at the wrong end of a muzzle of any caliber pointed at me from a 22 right up and beyond a 45 Caliber. I would have respect for all without question. :up: :up: :up:

I only have one question and that is why are so many people down on 380 caliber weapons.:

Just to clarify, I am not down on the 380, I just don't want to add another caliber. I shoot 22, 9mm, 38/357 and 45lc and acp as my pistol calibers. I shoot more 9mm that anything else and there are a lot of people that think it is no better that 380. I think every person has a right to what ever caliber that want and is most effective for their situation. I actually am intrigued by the curve and would own one is it were in 9mm.

380 is a weak caliber. I carry one a lot. So does my girlfriend. It's just not in a class with the real defensive calibers that are subject to endless debate. 

Its all in placement .....I can place 6 rounds across the width of an avg room... in his twilight zone.    I think your girlfriend would rather hit the perv. with a .380 then hit him with her purse. 

My girlfriend would rather have something that's small enough to carry. She has several handguns. She just wouldn't keep them with her. Currently, she DOES carry it in her purse, but uses a wallet style holster. Normally, I wouldn't buy an LCP for a girl because of the recoil. In her case, she shot her permit test with an airweight J frame, which kicks much harder than the LCP IMO.

Anyway, she has one on her now. We went to a gun show this weekend, and I showed her some softer shooting 380's. Thought about getting her a G42, but it doesn't come in her color. Bought this one from bersaguy, and then had it girlied up :)

Mika_zpsd7f2baa4.jpg

Edited by mikegideon
  • Like 1

But speaking as someone who HAS been shot before and didn't just read about it on the Internet and form an opinion off of hypotheticals, I can tell you it makes a difference WHAT you get shot with.

I don't understand the hostility from my lighthearted response, but okay. I believe you. I wasn't arguing that the 380 was a strong caliber.

Obviously the 380 is a weaker round. Sorry for your misfortune.