10.5 AR pistol ammo

Alright, forgive me if this has been posted. I searched but did not see anything, I might just suck at searching. I just finished my AR pistol build and was thinking about the best Personal defense rounds. Should I just stick with a 55-60 grain V-max or go heavier with soft/hollow point.... New to the AR group so I am not sure. I am tired of reading through other websites and just thought I would ask here. Thanks for the help.

My 10.5" gives over 2600 fps with even Russian steel stuff, (revised, see post below) with full powered 5.56 you're looking at 2750-2800 fps, plenty of velocity for the FMJ to do its thing.

But even with a 7.5" barrel, seems a soft point moving at 2300 or better would be plenty devastating.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 2

My 10.5" gives over 2600 fps with even Russian steel stuff, with full powered 5.56 you're looking at 2750-2800 fps, plenty of velocity for the FMJ to do its thing.

But even with a 7.5" barrel, seems a soft point moving at 2300 or better would be plenty devastating.

- OS

Thank you, everything I seem to read says that the round does not get up to speed so it can't fragment properly.

Thank you, everything I seem to read says that the round does not get up to speed so it can't fragment properly.

I revise my previous statement, looked up my file on results, was mistaken. FMJ needs 2600 fps I believe by general consensus to do it's thing. The few cheapo rounds I did chrono were borderline, and that's measured at muzzle too.  Any NATO spec loading will be much higher, though, and well in the effective velocity.

I found that diff between 16" and 10.5" barrel was about 300 fps.

---------------

AR-15 10.5" barreled pistol vs 16" rifle

3 shot average:

Monarch 55gr .223:
Rifle: 2929  Pistol: 2611

Wolf WPA 55gr 223:
Rifle: 2872  Pistol: 2546

Tula 55gr .223:
Rifle: 2843  Pistol: 2612

Federal Bulk 55gr .223:
Rifle: 2840  Pistol: 2536

---------------

Again, type of bullet matters a lot. If you're concerned about optimum "lethality", soft point or expanding don't depend on x velocity to work as designed in the way that the FMJ does.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1