Finally took the plunge

Have ordered a Forster Co-Ax press. Had my eye on this for some time, finally decided to go ahead with it. Will be a big improvement over my

decades old RCBS junior. Watched a demo on youtube & made up my mind for me.

Going to be fun getting everything reset. May be here at the end of the week, or first of next.

Not cheap compared to some, but built like a D-9 Cat., plus more accurate alignment.

Feel free to chime in with opinions/experiences.

• Like 1

I was watching a video and he said he can still use the rings from RCBS, Lee and a few others. Even shows him using them on his coax press.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NEzVZe7f6G0
At 5:30 he talks about the rings.

They're not the same. I've heard that too. I don't agree.

I have rings that came with the Forster dies. Likely,some of the cross-bolt type rings will fit, but not sure if they will work as well.

Have to do some experimenting to see if they do. The die holder and the shell holder both have flexibility, so they self align both ways.

Some die rings have a set screw that fits against the die thread, and can sometimes set cocked to one side slightly. The press should compensate for that.

Regardless, I plan on using the Forster rings. May have to get more later for other dies.

Thanks for the input guys. Altogether new type press for me. Any hints are welcome. Pride is in the bottom drawer, LOL

Not a whole lot to know, other than what's in the book. Been there done that trying to use other die rings. The Forster rings just aren't that expensive. I did replace the screws in mine, and used a fat wrench to tighten them. Since they're aluminum, it's possible to strip them out.

I will say to be real careful if to have to flip the shell holders. They can launch a spring. 

Not a whole lot to know, other than what's in the book. Been there done that trying to use other die rings. The Forster rings just aren't that expensive. I did replace the screws in mine, and used a fat wrench to tighten them. Since they're aluminum, it's possible to strip them out.

I will say to be real careful if to have to flip the shell holders. They can launch a spring. 

Thanks, Mike. I'll keep that in mind. One of the fun things in life is not looking for a spring, LOL

Little update, took inventory of my dies, decided I will need a few more rings, so I order a dozen from Gunstop, where I ordered the press

from. Price is a bit cheaper there, as was shipping. Pretty good folks to do business with. Had bought several Forster dies from them.

Shipping prompt & reasonable, plus they run discounts if you get on their email list.

After watching that video, I am quite impressed. I especially like how the priming system and shell holder are universal. You can't get much easier than this for die changes too.

If only I needed a single stage press.

Gunstop may be the best Forster dealer in the country. They will have Coax presses in stock when nobody else does. That's where I got mine.

That's true. Everybody else seemed to be out of stock.  The kicker for me was the code they sent in an email newsletter. Free shipping to the lower 48.

Nothing to sneeze at, lol. As everybody here knows, these days S/H is half the battle.

According to UPS, the press should be here Mon. 1/12. Rings coming via USPS 2nd day Priority, which I have learned thru their website, does not necessarily

mean 2 days.

Not an issue this time, as I have some things to do before I use them anyway.

You might want to get on their mail list. They have discounts about every week, of one sort or another.

Update, got the press today. Awesome press. Some great engineering went into this press. Completely different from any other out there.

Got it mounted & set up for neck size/decap, for now. Nothing like a new toy to play with, especially if it involves reloading/guns, LOL

Another bonus, no shipping/handling, etc.

Now i've got something to do in this cold weather ahead.

First thing you will notice... sizing brass on that thing is easier than any press you have ever used. You are gonna love it.

You got that right. Just did a small amount of .308 I had shot, 15 or so. Neck sized & de-capped. Just to try it out a bit. I can work the handle

with my trigger finger alone, no effort. Like the spent primer catcher too, drops down a tube into the cup. Not on the floor or wherever.

I'm using Imperial dry lube, works great, wipe it off & move on. Graphite does get into your skin tho, may have to use latex gloves. Not that my

paws have never been dirty before.

I'm well pleased, to say the least.  :up: :up:

Even full length sizing is real easy

I'm sure it is. Just finished loading 100 rds of .308. Funny thing tho, the standard handle that comes with it was a bit long for what I am doing now,

so I ordered the short handle yesterday. After I started seating ( have the Forster Ultra Micometer seat die ), & decided to remove the handle & just

use the yoke alone. Worked fine no effort at all, LOL.

Everything about this press is so easy. Only way it could be easier if someone else did it for me.

Changing a die takes maybe 1 or 2 seconds.

Should have done this a long time ago. Oh, well. Live & learn.

One thing I've wondered in watching the video is the vertical play I'm seeing in the die at the 5:00 - 5:05 mark. It's when he is showing how the die centers on the case. It's a slight amount but you can see some vertical movement of the die body. For the quick change ability there has to be some amount of play. I know that really only matters on the bullet seating and crimping process but it might not be enough movement to matter.

Does your's do that? Edited by Trekbike