Conversation about buying & selling reloads.

I'm hoping we can have a good conversation about buying and selling reloaded ammunition. Hopefully, we can get some sage advice/information that will be beneficial to both buyers and sellers. Possibly there are some that say it should never be sold, that only the one doing the reloading should shoot the reloaded shells. There may be others that don't have any fear of shooting reloads, no matter who reloaded them. The truth is, we all see them listed on some of the local gun sites that we all buy and sell on. My hope is that this would not start a contentious argument, but would bring forth information many may not be aware of. I'll start it by listing some questions, and hopefull we can air it out with lots of useful information. Here goes:
1. Would you shoot any ammo that's been reloaded by an unknown source?
2. Would you allow "just anyone" to shoot ammo that you have reloaded?
3. What are the liability ramifications when shooting reloads, if someone gets injured?
4. Are all reloads safe to shoot, and how do you tell by looking which ones are and which ones aren't?
5. How should reloads be priced, in relation to factory sealed ammo?
6. How can a potential buyer spot reloads listed on a gun site for sale?
7. Have you ever known of anyone getting injured shooting someone else's reloads?
8. Have you ever known of someone's gun getting damaged from shooting bad reloads?
9. As a reloader, buying used brass, do you just take the seller's word on how many times it's been fired?
10. How can someone not knowledgeable in reloading tell if the reloads they got from someone is too hot of a load for their gun?

These are just some thought provoking questions, not an attempt to badmouth reloading, as I'M a reloader myself, and have been for many years. I appreciate everyone's constructive opinions/input.
1: no
2: no
3: I don't know. I would guess that is only limited by the cunning wit of the prosecution.
4: no. Impossible to tell by external view if some nincompoop loaded 18gr of Titegroup instead of H110 in that 44 mag.
5: They shouldn't. Don't do it.
6: Mixed headstamps is your first clue. Extractor marks on the brass, and resizing leaves obvious markings on the brass.
7: Yes. Even a factory reload from Ultramax. It blew up my AR. I wasn't seriously injured, but bruised and thankful that was all.
8: See 7.
9: For handgun brass the number of times fired means nothing to me. Either it looks good or it's split/unusable.
10: If someone is not knowledgeable about reloads, I would recommend they not try to save the $3/box, put their big boy pants on, and buy the factory ammo.

:-)

The answer to a question you didn't exactly ask:

One needs a Type 6 FFL to be engaged in the business of manufacturing ammunition.

"The term “engaged in the business” means—

as applied to a manufacturer of ammunition, a person who devotes time, attention, and labor to manufacturing ammunition as a regular course of trade or business with the principal objective of livelihood and profit through the sale or distribution of the ammunition manufactured"

- OS

• Like 2
We will not allow reloads to be sold on TGO. I encourage anyone who sees or knows of an ad selling reloads to report it. You are not being a snitch, narc or rat but what you are doing is saving someone a serious injury.

I have been asked by a lot of people if I would reload ammunition for them and the answer to anyone who asks is always no. There is no amount of money that would make me feel comfortable to do it. There are liability and legal reasons why I will never do it.

There is too much risk in selling, buying or trading reloaded ammunition. All it takes is one round and a persons life could be ruined. And if the injured person is lucky the seller has insurance but I suspect a lot do not so that leaves the injured party paying for someone else's mistake and that is wrong.

Also, the manufacture of ammunition for sale cannot just be done by anyone with a press and free time. It does require federal licensing if you are manufacturing ammunition for sale. I know the ATF doesn't go after them but it is still a law that can have someone owing some hefty fines.
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/manufacturers.html#ammo-reloading
So anyone selling reloads here needs to have a license before we will allow the sale of reloads.

Define "reload."  My definition is ammunition produced using a previously fired case, either by individuals or by companies.  Some don't consider Ultramax or TN Cartridge to be reloads, but that is exactly what they sell.  Yes, they are licensed etc and can theoretically be held liable for a bad product, but they sell essentially the same product that I can produce on my press, with probably a lower level of quality control. 

All producers of ammunition can and do have defects, big and small, in their production. It does not matter their name or the source. It can be as simple as a round not chamfering, a primer backwards, misfire, squib, or the dreaded K-BOOM. It basically comes down to percentages/source. Play the odds start with major manufacturers and work your down to a newbie that just found some neat bullet stuff in his uncle's basement. I reload to shoot more ( save money? HA) blowing up a gun and resulting medical bills are not in that definition. So each has to weigh risks vs benefit and know your source.

1. Would you shoot any ammo that's been reloaded by an unknown source?
No.

2. Would you allow "just anyone" to shoot ammo that you have reloaded?
I don’t reload.

3. What are the liability ramifications when shooting reloads, if someone gets injured?
You get sued, and possibly charged with a crime if you are selling them without the proper licenses.

4. Are all reloads safe to shoot, and how do you tell by looking which ones are and which ones aren't?
No, and you can’t

5. How should reloads be priced, in relation to factory sealed ammo?
If you priced it cheap enough you might have some buyers, but probably not many.

6. How can a potential buyer spot reloads listed on a gun site for sale?
They can’t, other than asking.

7. Have you ever known of anyone getting injured shooting someone else's reloads?
Not personally, seen the results on forums many times.

8. Have you ever known of someone's gun getting damaged from shooting bad reloads?
Yes, bulged the barrel on a S&W Model 66 with a squib.

9. As a reloader, buying used brass, do you just take the seller's word on how many times it's been fired?
I’m not a reloader and don’t buy used brass.

10. How can someone not knowledgeable in reloading tell if the reloads they got from someone is too hot of a load for their gun?
They can’t.

• Like 1
  • Administrator

The answer to a question you didn't exactly ask:

One needs a Type 6 FFL to be engaged in the business of manufacturing ammunition.

"The term “engaged in the business” means—

as applied to a manufacturer of ammunition, a person who devotes time, attention, and labor to manufacturing ammunition as a regular course of trade or business with the principal objective of livelihood and profit through the sale or distribution of the ammunition manufactured"

- OS

Bears repeating!   Closing this thread.