Wadcutter, semi...I am a noob

Ok, ok...I probably should be flogged, or gutted or something, but I am just clueless. What is the difference between your standard bullet, say WWB and a waddcutter? Moreover, what is a waddcutter, what is it's purpose?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Verbal Kint

A wadcutter is used for paper targets / competition shooting. It creates a clean hole, with no jagged edges, so there is no discrepancy in scoring (what rings the bullet penetrated on the target).

Gimme a sec and I'll dig up a better explanation and link.

EDIT: Here ya go... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wadcutter

Edited by Verbal Kint
Wiki Link Added
Guest Verbal Kint

No prob... only reason I really knew about them is that my late grandfather used to use "Wadcutter" as his CB handle back in the day. Guess he picked it up from his days of competition shooting while in the Navy and Police Department. Would always hear him and my dad talk on the CB, when my dad was driving home at night from work. My dad is a pharmacist, and used "Witch Doctor" or something another as his handle... but anyway, he'd work about 40-50 miles away at times and they'd keep in touch on his trek home in case anything were to happen.

Back when CB radios were the "cell phones". :D

Edited by Verbal Kint

Note that there is one "wadcutter" type that was a standard in LE for a long time in .38/.357, and is still touted as an acceptable self defense round by many, the LSWCHP (lead semi wadcutter hollowpoint). Winchester makes it still in 158 gr .38 +p.

Maybe that's what Verbal's relative had in mind, too, meaning the LE part, dunno.

- OS

Guest Todd@CIS
Thanks gents, I hate asking folks these questions face to face, I prefer to be criticised over the net.

No critisism needed or deserved...asking is how we learn.

WestWindMike posted a great photo.

A valid argument can be made for carrying WCs for defense, too.

I am not knowledgable in ballistics, nor was I paying attention during the majority of my physics classes in college, but they look like they would make a good hole if you needed them to. I would imagine penetration depth would be shallow, but large in diameter?

Guest Todd@CIS

Arguments for defensive WC use.

1. Light recoiling for faster follow-up shots or recoil sensitive people.

2. Low flash and accurate.

3. Many JHPs don't expand from a 2" barrel anyway, so with WCs you get a full diameter hole...especially if you use a FMJ WC.

Bare gel penetration is usually 13-20"

Edited by Todd@CIS
  • Administrator
Note that there is one "wadcutter" type that was a standard in LE for a long time in .38/.357, and is still touted as an acceptable self defense round by many, the LSWCHP (lead semi wadcutter hollowpoint). Winchester makes it still in 158 gr .38 +p.

Maybe that's what Verbal's relative had in mind, too, meaning the LE part, dunno.

- OS

Nope. I've got a handful of the wadcutter bullets that he reloaded himself. Nothing hollow about them. They are nasty little sons of beeches. :D

Yep, the "semi" part of the term "semi-wadcutter" is what makes the bullet have that raised section up front. WWMike's picture shows a semi-wadcutter just below the wadcutter. There are also SWHCs, which is a semi-wadcutter with a hollow point.

For wadcutters, most are a HBWC design, which means a hollowbased wadcutter. These are for low-velocity target loads ONLY! There have been cases of the thinner skirts separating from the bullet and obstructing the bore in hotter loads. For defense purposes, you want a DEWC, which stands for double-ended wadcutter. This bullet looks the same on boths ends, as it's just a cylinder, plain and simple. It, of course, will have lube grooves, etc. Don't expect any expansion out of this type of bullet, but it is great at penetrating flesh and cutting arteries, nerves, etc inside the body.

I carry Buffalo Bore's standard pressure loading of a 150gr hardcast wadcutter in my model 64. (Thanks again, Todd!)

The LE part of the wadcutter is from way before the SWCHP. We're talking LEO of 60-70 years ago, not 30-40 years ago. Regardless, any round that has sufficient gusto to penetrate and disrupt the CNS with proper shot placement is something that should not be scoffed at. Granted, I'd RATHER a 44 Mag with a max load of H110 and a 240gr Hornady XTP, but I'm just not going to carry that every day.

OhShoot is correct.The +P 158 gr lswc was called the Treasury Load and was popular in LEO revolvers up until the advent of the WonderNine craze.Also it was in vouge to load 148 gr hollowbase wadcutters backwards for defensive use.Expansion and accuracy were so-so at best.

Guest Todd@CIS
Also it was in vouge to load 148 gr hollowbase wadcutters backwards for defensive use.Expansion and accuracy were so-so at best.

Very true. I've heard people talk about how devastating this load is. Then I saw gel tests that demonstrated that backwards loaded WCs actually perform pretty poorly.

I know some people including I that use to cast our own hollow base wad cutters

to load reverse. We use to increase the tin and alloy mix to make a harder bullet.

At 10 yards they use to penetrate a wet 1 1/2 phone books. This was in the 70's.

at the time there wasn't much offered. Almost all commercial ammo were standard

LRN.

Edited by R1100R