Android Santa Claus

GlockSpock

• Moderators

So, this Christmas the Android Santa Claus brought me something special! For the backstory, read this.

So far I'm loving the Lollipop Android experience. Already done some pretty cool things with Tasker. Loving the Qi Charger, it's a bit slower but is great for charging on the nightstand at night. You no longer have to worry about finding a cable, plugging it in the right way, etc.

I used to root all of my Android devices but this one is the first I've contemplated on doing so. I used to use CyanogenMod and am tempted to do so again.However, Lollipop is amazing and the idea of OTA updates is appealing.

Yet when using a custom ROM, even if the ROM itself is supposedly built for "security and privacy" in mind, you find yourself having to trust the authors of the ROM. Now, CyanogenMod has a huge following and I believe most if not all of the source is open. 

I might just "do it" to get it over with but wanted some Android users' thoughts. I'm very tech savvy so the process of doing any of this is not the issue, it is whether or not I want to.

• Like 1

Congrats on getting an N5, I love mine.  I also didn't know Magpul made a case for the N5.  Might have to pick one up.

I always root just to have full access to my device.  Too much control can be built in that benefits the maker and I want the ability to change that if I want.  I love CyanogenMod because it makes the process stupid easy and has good reviews.  There are risks with any open software, but the community would sound off on any problems fast enough.  I also wait until a build is stable, usually, but with Lollipop I'll be tempted to update early.

• Moderators

Congrats on getting an N5, I love mine. I also didn't know Magpul made a case for the N5. Might have to pick one up.

I always root just to have full access to my device. Too much control can be built in that benefits the maker and I want the ability to change that if I want. I love CyanogenMod because it makes the process stupid easy and has good reviews. There are risks with any open software, but the community would sound off on any problems fast enough. I also wait until a build is stable, usually, but with Lollipop I'll be tempted to update early.

Well the Stock Lollipop is amazing. I had to order the Magpul case from them directly. The price was great but they add shipping. I admit that I buy my phones based on whether I can get a Magpul case for it. Be careful where you buy the case from because some ship from China. It is a USA made case so you know what it means when it ships from China.

I may wait around and see how the custom roms for Lollipop develop.
  • Moderators
Ok, so I ended up rooting today. Was so easy I almost accidentally did it!

On a Nexus 5 running Lollipop, if you have already unlocked your bootloader, all you must do is:That's it! Afterwards you can update SuperSU if needed from the Play Store. 

On Lollipop you will lose OTA updates. But there are methods for unrooting and flashing the stock recovery so that you can update, then re-root. Edited by CZ9MM
  • Like 1

Im waiting for the Nexus 6 to hit verizon so I can snag one...

When I got my Nexus 5, I just bought it flat out.  I grabbed an unlocked 16GB model for ~$330 and now I have no contract with AT&T, get a lower monthly rate since I'm not dealing with the company recouping the promotional cost of a new phone, and can switch service or just cancel it anytime I want.  Something to consider if you don't want to be a slave to the TELCO.  With the N6 rolling out, you can pick up an N5 at a decent rate

I'd also double check if the Nexus 6 is what you like in size if you haven't already.  The N5 is perfect for me, any bigger and I'd probably be complaining.  I have no desire to switch to an N6 based on it's size.  Here's how the N6 looks compared to a Nexus 5.

2014-10-05-09_18_38-Google-Nexus-6_-Size

Im waiting for the Nexus 6 to hit verizon so I can snag one...

I thought I wanted the Nexus 6 too. I used one for 10 days and sent it back. It was just too big, Google and Moto messed up with this one. Definitely spend some time with it before buying.
I came from the Samsung Note line so used to large phones. I went to the Moto X pure edition and haven't looked back.
  • Moderators

So, been using stock unrooted Lollipop for a while. I ended up "de-rooting" last week because I personally didn't have much reason for root currently. Years ago I would have, but it's amazing how far Android has come in the past few years.

Bought me a few "OTG" cables. They haven't got here yet but I look forward to experimenting with how well that stuff works with accessories. Loving the phone. Selling my Apple TV 3 because I haven't used it in weeks and as soon as my new wireless router gets here, I will be selling my Airport Extreme. Truthfully the Airport Extreme is an amazing router but a little hard (impossible) to manage from an Android phone. With the TP-LINK I purchased I will be flashing DD-WRT to it and will be able to very easily manage it from my Android phone. 

WooHoo!

When I got my Nexus 5, I just bought it flat out.  I grabbed an unlocked 16GB model for ~$330 and now I have no contract with AT&T, get a lower monthly rate since I'm not dealing with the company recouping the promotional cost of a new phone, and can switch service or just cancel it anytime I want.  Something to consider if you don't want to be a slave to the TELCO.  With the N6 rolling out, you can pick up an N5 at a decent rate

I'd also double check if the Nexus 6 is what you like in size if you haven't already.  The N5 is perfect for me, any bigger and I'd probably be complaining.  I have no desire to switch to an N6 based on it's size.  Here's how the N6 looks compared to a Nexus 5.

2014-10-05-09_18_38-Google-Nexus-6_-Size

I've owned just about every Nexus device that has been made so far and I really dont mind a big phone but I have yet to hold a Nexus 6 in my hand because nobody has them in stock...so I actually could end up not liking it. Everybody says "we can order it for you" which is getting aggravating. Im about ready to just grab a Samsung Note and throw the Google Launcher on it and call it a day. I like the size of the note and the iphone 6+ "just used them for size comparisons" but the N6 is bigger than both of those.

Edited by tennesseetiger

We have Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3's. Love the phone, and used to love the service until we moved last year and I have to go outside to get a signal. Wasn't bad in the summer, but it has sucked the last few months. There is an AT&T tower in plain sight about 1/4 mile away, so we are going to convert over to them. Our VZ contract ended on Jan 3, and we were all set to walk into AT&T, until we remembered that 2 years ago when we got our S3's, the S4 came out a month or two later.

So, now we have decided to wait until the new S6 comes out in a few months before switching. Looks like  that may be a pretty cool phone if any of the rumors are true. I never felt the need to root the S3, and I hear that the S6 is moving toward being more of a stock O/S like the Nexus, so I hope I won't feel the need to root that one either.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Got tired of waiting for the Nexus 6 to hit verizon so I picked up a Samsung Note 4 and put the google launcher on it...

See, I used to have would told you that Google Now Launcher was the way to go. Yesterday I was convinced by a buddy to seriously give Nova Launcher a try. I liked it so much I bought the Pro version for $4.00.

I also just rooted and flash CM12 nightly. Figured it is always a few CLI commands to go back 100% stock if I so desire. Just now booting up the device. WooHoo!

See, I used to have would told you that Google Now Launcher was the way to go. Yesterday I was convinced by a buddy to seriously give Nova Launcher a try. I liked it so much I bought the Pro version for $4.00.

I also just rooted and flash CM12 nightly. Figured it is always a few CLI commands to go back 100% stock if I so desire. Just now booting up the device. WooHoo!

I've been hearing a lot of chatter about Nova launcher recently so I'll load it up and give it a shot. I havent rooted a phone in a few years...I really didnt have a reason to unless I wanted the free hotspot or a different radio setup on a nexus.